Skip navigation
malacca73
Currently Being Moderated

Button active area does not match Photoshop layer size

Jun 14, 2013 6:03 PM

I have created several text-only buttons for a menu using Photoshop. When I reveal the active area in Encore, usually the bounding box for the active area is correct and goes right around the text, but for several of the buttons, the bounding box is way wider than the text. There is a simple graphical highlight that is also part of each layer group, but the bounding box is way larger than where that appears. There is nothing in any layer in the button group that accounts for the extreme width of the bounding box for the button in Encore. Any ideas?

I have deleted the offending button groups and copied one that didn't have the problem, only to have the same extra-large bounding-box appear. Quite strange.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to malacca73

By definition, the "bounding box" includes all the elements of the button group in a rectangle. You either have an element you are not seeing, or one that includes parts that are not apparent.

This is most likely to happen when you move a button group and one element does not move. Do you have any vector layers or such?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 8:20 PM   in reply to malacca73

Limited time at the moment. See this thread re how to use various tools tyo adjust the text bounding box. But I think your problem is possibly a bounding box with the graphic.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4092604#4092604

First, I would (using a duplicate menu) delete first the graphic layer, then the text layer to see which is making the large bounding box. Surely it is one or the other.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to malacca73

I agree with Stanley that something in the Button's/Buttons' Layer Set(s) is not being accounted for. The Layer Set is what defines each Button, and as Stanley says, will include all elements in the Button in a rectangle that includes all of them.

Can you Open your Menu in Photoshop, and post a screen-cap with the Layers Palette Open, with the various Layer Sets twirled open? That will tell us all of the elements in each Button.

Unfortunately, Ps does not show a Layer Set's bounding box, but Encore will, if you Select a Button, or all Buttons. A screen-cap from Encore, with the Menu Selected, and a Ctrl+A (Select All), WILL show all Bounding Boxes.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to malacca73

Thanks for reporting. Odd spontaneous pixel appearance!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 1:11 AM   in reply to malacca73

This may not be much help, but I have found it is very easy indeed to accidentally add a pixel in PS (although your workflow suggests this has happened, given the method described I cannot for the life of me see how). I have done it myself by selecting the marquee tool, clicking in the wrong place & trying again only to find I have this additional bit way out of whack with the rest.....

Point is that it is very easy to get things wrong in PS.....and not notice.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points