Skip navigation
xrayibm
Currently Being Moderated

Still Image Default

Jun 14, 2013 9:15 PM

I keep changing my still image default to 120 because I want each still duration to be 4 seconds- but after every photo I add to the timeline it defaults back to 150 (or 5 seconds per still).  I don't want to have to change each one every time I add it- can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?  Thanks so much!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2013 9:17 PM   in reply to xrayibm

Welcome to the forum.

The only time that I have read of such behavior was when the user did not have full, Administrator rights, so that Premiere could not write those Edit>Preferences>General>Still Image Duration, as needed. Are you running as an Administrator?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 9:42 PM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

By the way, what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

I have an entirely different take on your problem.

Are you making the still image duration in Edit Menu/Preferences/General? I suspect you are.

WHEN are you doing that BEFORE or AFTER you have imported your stills into the project with Add Media. I suspect that you are importing your photos while the default 150 frames (5 second) still image duration is still in effect. Then you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and take your still image duration to 120 frames (4 seconds).

That new 4 seconds is only applicable to what you import into the project AFTER you make that set. If so, the answer is to set the still image duration that you want in preferences and then import the photos.

The scenario that I have suggested fits, but let us see if it really targets the real issue.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Your take on the issue could well explain the case of the Preferences>General>Still Image Duration not "taking." If the Still Images have already been Imported, changes to Preferences will NOT affect the previously Imported Still Images - only ones Imported AFTER those changes.

Might well be the right call here.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to xrayibm

I am changing my settings under general settings and changing it it 120 before I add any slides.  The 1st picture comes in at 4 seconds and then after that- it defaults back to 5 seconds.

Thank you for that information. The "before" Import is an important part of the equation. That first part is working as it should, but then your Edit>Preferences is not sticking, as it should. That is odd, indeed. The only thing that I can think of, is that the program is not getting the permission to WRITE that setting into the PREF's file, for some reason.

My first step would be to trash the PrE Prefs file, then launch PrE, letting it recreate that file. Note: it will then be at the default settings, so you will need to manually go into Edit>Preferences (all Tabs) and make any changes that you had previously applied.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

If the following

The 1st picture comes in at 4 seconds and then after that- it defaults back to 5 seconds.  I have windows 7 and I'm using Elements 9.0.

is a consistent outcome of you setting the preferrences for 4 seconds (120 frames) and ending up, after import of these photos, with only the first at 4 seconds and the rest at 5 seconds, what happens if:

highlight altogether those at 5 seconds photos, right clicking anywhere in the highlight, selecting Time Stretch, and, in the Time Stretch dialog changing from 5 to 4 seconds duration.

It does not explain why the preference setting is not taking, but it will give you immediate results for a workaround until your core problem is resolved.

By the way, did you say what the pixel dimensions were for the involved photos?

ATR

Add On...

I did not see Hunt's last post until after I had posted mine. He mentioned deleting the preferences. To do that for Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Windows 7 64 bit,

the route would be:

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

You must be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives on in order to see the complete path.  Adobe Staff Member (viput vaibhav) pointed out the difference between deleting the whole 11.0 Folder vs just the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. Please refer to recent thread here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5410520#5410520

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

Never give up. That Time Stretch suggestion that I made for changing a bunch of 5 second duration photos to 4 second duration ones should work just fine for now until we sort out the whys for why the preference setting for still default duration is not holding. Did you ever say what version of Premiere Elements you are using and on what computer operating system it is running? If not, please post that information, and I will give you some screenshots to get to the preference file that you delete to find out if that will address the whys that we seek.

Thanks for following up on the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to xrayibm

This line from ATR's Reply # 6 is very important, if one has not changed the default Folder Options in Windows:

You must be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives on in order to see the complete path.

This is something that I do on my OS, the day that I install it, and often forget that it is not the default.

Without that change in Windows, many files and folders will be hidden from view. I also turn ON Show File Extensions, as I want to see more than just a few icons - I want to know all about each file on my computer.

Glad that ATR's workaround - really easy to do - is working for you. That should allow you to complete the Project, while you sort out why the Preferences are not sticking, as they should.

When you have a moment, if you do not mind, let's try one little test:

1. Launch PrE, and go to Edit>Preferences>General>Still Duration. Make the change to give you 04 sec.
    2. Shut down PrE.
    3. Relaunch PrE and check the setting for Still Duration. Did it change back to the default?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 9:52 PM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

I need to sign off because it is getting very late where I am.

In the light of day I will fight on with you to try to get this situation resolved. What do you say?

What you could try before calling it a day is going back and deleting the whole 9.0 Folder in the path shown above. By the way, did you find it before and delete or did you never find it?

Definitely find the 9.0 Folder and remove it instead of just the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in the 9.0 Folder. I think that one of those Oops moments set in with instructions I gave in post #6. I started off with your version 9 and digressed to version 11. I think that I was distracted by comments in the link for the counterpart version 11 experience. The corrected information for version 9.0/9.0.1 is:

To do that for Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Windows 7 64 bit,

the route would be:

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

9.0 Folder

and in the 9 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

You must be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives on in order to see the complete path.  Adobe Staff Member (viput vaibhav) pointed out the difference between deleting the whole 11.0 Folder vs just the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. Please refer to recent thread here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5410520#5410520

You can do it.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm wrote:

Wondering if it has anything to do with the new hard drive that was recently installed?

Check that new disk is formatted NTFS and not FAT. If it is FAT then it is easily converted (just search convert FAT to NTFS).

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to nealeh

Along with Neale's advice, this article has some useful links on Converting FAT-32 to NTSF.

Also, with a newly installed HDD, check that it is setup in the computer's BIOS, as well as in Windows.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibrn

After you check out and respond to nealeh's comment and depending on the outcome, please

a. Check the Users 9.0 Folder that you deleted previously and let us know if it has content at this point...anything similar to:

Users 9.0 Folder.JPG

Also, you say that you have been doing some long slideshows. Have we discussed checking for pile ups of preview files and conformed audio files in the Adobe Folder and for pile up of conformed video in the area best accessed from Edit Menu/Preferences/Media to get to the Clean Button (path to the Media Cache .mcdb files is shown there).

We will continue to watch for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

Let us get nealeh's question about new hard drive format out of the way to answer NTFS or FAT32 or other.

Start Button

Click on Computer

then right click the Local Disk C, select Properties

The file system should be named toward the top of Properties/General section

HardDriveFormat.JPG

More shortly.

Thanks for your follow up information.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

I think that too many 9.0 Folders as subfolders in the paths are leading to confusion. So, let me try to write out the path and pitfalls...

Local Disc C Folder

Users Folder

Owner Folder

AppData Folder

Roaming Folder

Adobe Folder (it looks you are presenting its contents in your screenshot in your post #17)

This Adobe Folder should contain the Premiere Elements 9.0 Folder and the Premiere Elements Folder.

If you go open the Premiere Elements 9.0 Folder in the Adobe Folder, you will find only the a 9.0 Folder and in that particular 9.0 Folder is a Trace Database.txt file. But we do not want to go this route of Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements 9.0 Folder/9.0 Folder/TraceDatabase.txt file. Instead after Adobe Folder above

Premiere Elements Folder

9.0 Folder

and in the 9.0 Folder here is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If you decide to delete a "9.0 Folder" this 9.0 Folder is the one you delete instead of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that is inside it.

We seem to be on course upto the Adobe Folder. But after that....?

Your screenshot in your post # 18 appears to be showing what is in the 9.0 Folder in the path

Adobe Folder

Premiere Elements Folder

9.0 Folder

for all except I cannot figure out how Trace Database and CAHeadless Plugin Loading got in there.

I have these names only at the level of the Adobe Folder not where are showing them in your screenshot in post #18.

Go back and notice if

Adobe Folder

CAHeadless Folder

9.0 Folder

TraceDatabase.txt file

as well as

Adobe Folder

Premiere Elements Folder

9.0 Folder

TraceDatabase.txt file

As for your screenshot in post #19, please consider, if you have not already, removing the check mark from "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7, and just leaving a check mark there for Run As Administrator. Is there a particular reason why you have this set as you have?

Do you have an installation disc for Premiere Elements 9? At this point, you might want to consider a complete and clean Deactivation (Help Menu/Deactivate) followed by unistall the usual way through Control Panel and then a reinstall of the program with antivirus and firewalls off. This might avoid frustrations moving files to places that we think that they should be.

Please review and then let me know what you think.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

Thanks. That is one factor out.

My previous post may seem a bit overwhelming. But on the whole we seem to be in accord except for some differences noted which are cause for concern because of the instability of the problem-reasons unknown that you have been experiencing. The deactivate, uninstall, reinstall with anti-virus and firewalls off are looking better and better to me. But, let us see what we make of what is going on now.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

"By the book" might be to get those items that seem out of place back in place.

But, right now my best advice is leave all as is if it is working. Do not change a thing and make sure that you keep Running As Administrator. If the project and the system go out of sorts with regular and workaround workflows, then we are forced to take drastic measures which would probably include the deactivate, uninstall, reinstall.

But right now sounding good. We will keep the positive thought to get you through this project and to such time as you have time to make adjustments to your Premiere Elements computer system.

Please keep us updated. Your follow up has been great. Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

How far away from completing the project are you?

Did you try working with those Compatibility Mode settings "Run As Administrator" in Properties/Compatibility Mode Tab? Did you move any files around or rename any files since the time you saved closed the project?

I am not sure if it will work but maybe...make two copies of the saved closed project.prel that will not open. Change the name of one of the copies. Right click either copy, select Open With, and then Premiere Elements 9.0. Does either of those two copies open when you do that?

I dislike beating up on that Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, but how about we delete just it, not the folder that it is in - just it, and seeing if the project opens.

The following is the Adobe Tech Note on troubleshooting damaged projects. Take a look at it to see if there is anything that will get that project to open if the above gets us nowhere.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-proje cts-premiere-elements.html

We are just putting off the deactivate, uninstall, reinstall for as long as practical.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

Beware of those AutoSaves. Sometimes they can cause problems. But right now, probably the pros outweigh the cons. One never knows if those AutoSaves will suddenly decide not to open. However, please keep the thought that between the two of us, we will get anything that will not open to open one way or another until this project gets finished.

If you are close to completing the project, you might want to do a marathon session and get the project done in that one marathon session to avoid the save/close/reopen.

But right now sounding good although I do not have all the whys for the detours.

Thanks for all the follow up and hard work.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

I forgot to ask or did I ask before?

If you check Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, where are the Scratch Disks directed to and how much free hard drive space is there at their hard drive save location?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:53 PM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

I do not want to take you off the focus of getting the job done. So, just a mini note on things to come.

What we might consider when you are ready to optimize your computer and Premiere Elements workflow is incorporating an external hard drive (format NTFS) about 1 TB in your computer system to handle Scratch Disks, project.prel, and media storage.

You are getting closer to completion of the project. Please be very conservative about any additions to the project at this point.

Keep up the good work. Victory is in sight.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

Sounds like you are at a critical point in your computer memory situation.

You may gain some advantage deleting the preview files if they are piling up. You will get the red line over the Timeline content when you do that but if you have seen what the preview looks like for a given content and you are making no changes to it, then no harm expected from the deletion.

Try to finish the project now with maybe some well thought out deletion of content. We may get through the editing part and never get this through export. Keep thinking positive.

But, as I suggested before, time to finalize now and get that project to export. We may be in for some rough times in export.

Anything on that computer  that you can move off your computer?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to xrayibm

xrayibm

Thanks for the update.

First, go after everything that you have in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder, next Media Cache in that same area. Again, go after any conformed video files via Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and it Clean Button.

Absolutely do not move or do anything with the media on the hard drive that went into the project. If you have media that did not go into the project at all and a lot of it, if you do not have an external drive, transfer it to a USB Flash Drive or DVD disc. Naturally, no multitasking.

If things are getting "dangerous", try the burn to folder. And, the we can burn the VIDEO_TS from that saved folder to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with the free ImgBurn.

I am hoping that you can manage to just about make it through. You can always make exact copies later with the software that came with your DVD burner.

Hoping for Mission Accomplished news.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers