Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help with Live Paint within the pattern area in CS6 (new to illustrator)

Jun 15, 2013 3:27 AM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #help #cs6 #pattern #tile #swatch #live_paint

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am new to illustrator so please bare with me.

I am having some issues trying to live paint whilst in the pattern area of CS6. I have created a pattern which I would now like to colour. I am able to colour some areas like the spots on the plants head, but no ther gaps inbetween. Normally when not in the pattern area I can merge live paint and work with all the spaces but I cant do this for some reason. I need to work with the pattern whislt in this mode to ensure that the design is correct. Below is a screenshot of the error I am getting, which if you can read it says:

"The selection contains objects that cannot be converted. Live Paint groups can only contain paths and compound paths. Clipping paths are not allowed."

Am I missing something really obvious?

Livepaintissue.jpg

Whilst I ma here I am also having a bit of trouble withthe oattern swatch. The pattern has been designed for a printed interior wallpaper. In the below image the blue box (follow the green arrow) is the full pattern repeat set at a 1/4 drop. I need that full square rather than a swtach. So effectively I need a 'Tile' that I can then ready for print. The reason for this is that it will be printed on wallpaper (52cm x 10m) and each roll needs to match up either side (with a 1/4 drop)

blueborder.jpg

So my question is, is it possible to 'grab' the pattern in the blue square?

I hope this makes sense. I can provide more screenshots and videos if needed.

I look forward to your replies.

Dan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to danrobotic

As for your first question: Have you already checked if there are clipping paths involved? You can do a quick test by going to Select > Object > Clipping masks

As for your second question: You can create pattern swatches in Illustrator. But as you may imagine, the content inside your blue frame won't allow a seamless pattern fill.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 2:27 AM   in reply to danrobotic

Learn how to make pattern tiles in Illustrator.

Your pattern is revolved, so to get it to repeat properly will need to revolve it back again

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points