Skip navigation
Abeldacre
Currently Being Moderated

Printer Resolution

Jun 15, 2013 1:55 AM

1. I set a NIKON RAW image (12MB) for print and PSE 11 says this will be 720dpi
  2. My Epson printer has max resolution at 5760x1440dpi.
  3. My prints are very good so why is there such as discrepancy between the print value and max resolution?
  4. My question arose because I wanted to know if I changed from a Nikon D3100(14MB) to Nikon 3200(24MB), I would see improvement in my prints.

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2013 2:59 AM   in reply to Abeldacre

Its easy to confuse DPI and PPI. The first is an output value for a particular printer, typically 720 for inkjet printers but high end laser printers can have a much higher output value.

On the other hand pixels per inch refers to the input value of a digital image, typically 72 to send to a PC monitor or between 240-300 to send to a printer. The ppi value won’t change the original pixel size of an image, it will simply affect the maximum size that can be printed on paper. In your case a 24mb file with larger pixel dimensions would be capable of producing a larger size print at a given ppi value, subject to printer limitations, but the quality from the printer should be the same.

The real advantage of a 24mb file is in creative cropping to improve the composition. Quite a large area can be cropped and you are still left with a very usable photo.

See this wiki for further information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points