Skip navigation
EJHKuma
Currently Being Moderated

Scene buttons not highlighting when navigating on them in a DVD

Jun 15, 2013 8:28 AM

Tags: #menu_buttons #scene_button_highlight_problem

I am a UK user of Premiere Elements 11 on a Mac Pro OS10.7.5 with 10 GB of RAM.  I am having a problem with buttons in Menus not highlighting in a burned DVD.  I have used several different Menu templates and get varying problems with each relating to buttons not highlighting when you navigate on them.  Sometimes some buttons highlight but not others and sometimes none of them highlight.  The buttons themselves all seem to work, you just cannot tell when you have navigated on one, except by intuition.  On one of the templates I could see the highlight mark some way off the button itself but on others I could see nothing.  The project I was working on contained clips from an AVCHD video camera in 1440 x 1080.  Originally I burned the project to a blu-ray disc and that was fine.  All the buttons worked, highlighted and the buttons and highlights were perfectly aligned.  Then I tried several times with DVD and got the problem described above.

Is this something to do with the pre-sets? i.e. using HD clips and then burning to DVD which seems to create misalignment of buttons/highlights?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to EJHKuma

Is this true when you play your discs on your computer also?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to EJHKuma

Along with the answer to Steve's question - an important one, exactly which Menu Sets are you using? Since you are creating a DVD, and not a BD (Blu-ray Disc), there can be issues, if one is not using one of the SD Menu Sets.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

Forgive me for asking, but I do not want to take anything for granted.

In Premiere Elements 11, when you are in the Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc burn dialog, what are you setting in the Presets: field

NTSC_Dolby DVD

NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby

PAL_Dolby DVD

or

PAL_Widescreen_Dolby

What have you set as the project preset for this project?

And, does the problem menu have a "HD" at its upper right corner of its display in Movie Menu?

Could you give one specific menu that exhibits this problem so that we might try to replicate your situation and see what results we get?

Thanks.

ATR

Add On: I did not see your response to SG and Hunt until I had posted the questions in this thread. Please answer the questions that you have not already answered. I would still like to do a run through with my Premiere Elements 11 and the details that you present.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

Thank you for follow ups.

If your video was 1440 x 1080 HD anamporphic 16:9, the project correctly identified your import and set the project preset for PAL AVCHD HD 1080i25. The primary function of that project preset is to direct the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor from which to edit. But the project preset setting has subtle as well as obvious functions. One of them is to direct the program to set up the appropriate menu set for you when you get to Movie Menu in version 11.

For each DVD Menu Theme choice typically there are 3 versions of its .psd in the Program Files, one for standard "s", one for widescreen "w", and one for high definition "hd". The project preset directs the program to display the one corresponding with the project preset.

With all that said, if you have 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 video and the program gave you the project preset of PAL AVCHD HD1080i25, that would be fine, and you should be getting hd versions of a DVD Menu Theme when you get to Movie Theme. Apparently that has been the case as evidenced by the "HD" in the right hand corner of the menu display in Movie Menu within the program.

From what you wrote, I believe that you did get:

Pan and Zoom HD

Memory Box HD

Family Memories HD

Fun In Sun HD (not SD)...not sure why you wrote SD?

I created a mini Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit project with the project preset NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30 (before I knew you were working from PAL) and burned the same Timeline to NTSC DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc, using each of the menus mentioned above. I played back each on my 19 inch Widescreen LCD TV wiith player setting for 16:9 (480i). And also played each back on the computer via the CyberLink Power DVD software that came with my burner.

a. I had no problems navigating Pan and Zoom HD, Memory Box HD, Family Memories HD on either TV/DVD Player or Computer.

b. Fun in Sun has always been a problem, and it lived up to its history. No navigation opportunities on the TV/DVD Player and navigation on the computer only because the buttons were functional only if you click on them with the mouse cursor.

Have you been able to take your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc to another TV DVD Player set up to compare the results with more than one TV DVD Player? Just to confirm...on the computer level, except for Fun in Sun, do you see the highlight changing as you move your mouse cursor around from scene to scene? That goes to SG's initial question. But it is those distorted scene and highlight mentions that trouble me. Are you having any problems with program displays other than with those menus?

Please review and let us see if we can determine factors involved for the differences in results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

You do not want to change the project preset to DV Standard 4:3 if you have 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 (displays at 1920 x 1080) as your source media. That would mess up things in the Edit Mode Monitor space that you use for editing.

But, I have a little maneuver that I will share with you to get which one of the .psd sets you want to explore (s, w, or hd) to be available to your in the Movie Menu section within the opened project.

Coming soon, just want to road test the maneuver in Premiere Elements 11 to assure that it will work now as it has in the past.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to EJHKuma

I would try it but I have trashed so many DVD discs so far....!!!

I would pick up a 5-pack of high-quality DVD-RW discs, and use them for testing. Do not use them for delivery, as some DVD players can have issues with DVD-RW's, but do use them for Project testing - no more "coasters."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

The plan...

given your AVCHD 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 footage

project preset PAL AVCHD HD108i25

to have available in the project's Movie Menu both the standard widescreen and high definition of the Family Memories DVD menu

Miscellaneous notes first...

When you open Movie Menu, all but one of the menus available will have the HD label at its top right corner of the thumbnail there for display. The Album theme will not. That theme has only a "s" and "w" set in the Program Data, no "hd" set. The others have all three types "s", "w", and "hd", but but you are only seeing "hd" for them because of your project settings. And, when you apply this "hd" theme to the project in Movie Menu, the Notepad document for this project confirms that this "hd" theme is being used. Interestingly, if we had selected Album for the project, we would have been getting not the "w" set, but rather the "s" for our high definition with HD widescreen 16:9 aspects.

What to do...

Now to the goal...having the Family Memory "w" psd menu set available to us in Movie Menu even though our project preset is a HD type.

In this scheme, we will end up having both "w" (standard widescreen 720 x 576) and "hd" (high definition 1440 x 1080) available to use in our PAL AVCHD HD1080i25 project.

1. Copy the following files to a folder named xmemories on the computer desktop.

memories_pal_w_sm.psd

memories_pal_w_mm.psd

These files are found in the path:

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

Memories

Family Memories

and in the Family Memories Folder you will find these file to copy. Rename the copies that go into the desktop folder (named xmemories) to

xmemories_pal_w_sm.psd

xmemories_pal_w_mm.psd

2. We next need to place that xmemories folder in the correct location in Program Files. Please go to:

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

DVD Templates

Common

and, in the Common Folder, create a new folder named Specials. In that Specials Folder, place your xmemories Folder.

Close out of there and open your Premiere Elements 11 PAL AVCHD HD1080i25 project. You should find your Family Memories standard widescreen version menu in a folder named Special in the Movie Menu section of Premiere Elements 11. You will also note that Family Memories high definition version is still there under the Memories rather than the Specials category.

Please give that a try. I have road tested it, and it works. I have proof read it and have not detected any typos yet.

Looking forward to your results. I do not believe the hd vs standard widescreen version of your menu is the answer, but it is worth the try to rule it in or out of the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

Thanks for trying to translate my Elements Windows into Elements Mac.

If you are saying that you are getting "downloading" of the menu within the program, that makes me think that you probably obtained a copy of the source .psd files OK, but that you did not placing the xmemories folder with them in the right place. Please note in Windows, the Local Disk C/Program Data route to Online Folder is involved to get the copies of the .psd files, but placement of the xmemories Folder with those files is in another location Local Disk C/Program Files route to the DVD Templates Folder.

Let us see if the forum moderator Steve Grisetti who has a Mac, can help us out on this here and posts the Mac locations for the .psd files.

However, I meant to ask previously. When you are in Movie Menu, are you customizing your Menu to the extent of moving objects around and perhaps scaling the existing boxes. Do you see any evidence of red lined objects suggesting object overlap?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to EJHKuma

On a Mac, the Movie Menu files for version 11 are in Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0/Online/DVD Templates.

Macs store their support files a little differently than PCs, so you won't be able to copy the template to Program Files/Adobe/Premiere Elements, etc., as you would on a Windows computer. But you don't really need to.

As long as you've downloaded the template you're copying (Family Memories, for instance), its template file folder will have Download.txt file inside -- very important, is this will keep the program from overwriting your custom files by trying to re-download over them. Once that's inside your template file folder, you can copy your template to a new folder inside this same Online/DVD Templates directory and it will work.

Sorry that I'm late to the game, so I've no idea what exactly you're trying to accomplish. I created a 1440x1080 project and very easy installed an HD Family Memories Movie Menu to it, so I'm not clear what problem you're trying to address. But if there is something you're having trouble trying to accomplish and ATR knows how to do it on a PC, I'll be glad to translate it into Mac for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to EJHKuma

Perhaps the route has begun to go in circles.

If you have an HD Project, and wish to go to an SD DVD-Video Project, I would explore just Sharing/Publishing the HD Timeline to an SD DV file, and probably MOV w/ DV/DVC CODEC for the Mac (sorry do not know Mac's). Then Import that output file into a new SD DV Project, do the authoring there, and Burn to Folder, or Burn to Disc. That output would then be tested in a software DVD player, or for the latter, on a DVD-RW disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to EJHKuma

Going back several Mac OS versions ago, there WERE issues with Menu Sub-picture Highlights, that showed up in Adobe Encore. Now, while a different program, both Encore and PrE use many of the same Roxio/Sonic AuthorCore modules, so there ARE some similarities.

I noticed that those issues disappeared with later iterations of the Mac OS, so assumed that whatever was the cause, had been fixed. Maybe I was wrong?

Maybe I have spent too many years doing commercial videography, editing and authoring, but I always wanted to get my clients' Project out the door, so looked for workflows that simplified things, and skirted errors, or problems. While I do like to know the "cause," the important thing to me was to satisfy my clients.

Most of all, good luck, and hope that you can get your Project "out the door."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

If you have a HD project preset, the Art in Motion Theme for the disc menu is HD, not standard or standard widescreen.

If you wanted to experiment with a non HD Theme when you had a HD project preset, you could have taken your chances with Seasons/Pink Tulips which presents without the HD label at the top right corner of the thumbnail in the Movie Menu area. It has only two .psd versions in the Program Data, "s" standard and "w" standard widescreen. Memories/Album is also a non HD menu when you have a HD project preset.

But here the catch in this train of thought, especially when you are trying to devise the most appropriate model for the troubleshooting. You select this particular non HD menu. You are not going to get what you might have expected in the way of .psd version for that Pink Tulips. In fact, believe it or not, even with your HD 16:9 project preset, the .psd selected by the program is "s" version of the .psd and not the "w" version of the .psd.

The only way that you can assure yourself what version of the .psd you have gotten is by the route that I described earlier.

On the positive side of things, if you do decide to convert your HD Timeline to a Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime (either PAL DV 16:9 for DV.mov or with some changes under the Advanced Button of that preset, H.264.mov.), you stand a better chance of getting the "w" .psd with that file in a PAL DV Widescreen project than if it were PAL DV Standard. (You are setup for PAL, did I recall that correctly?)

If you go the route that I think that Hunt has suggested, HD conversion to SD widescreen and then importing the SD widescreen into Premiere Elements SD widescreen project, you will indeed get more SD menus in the Movie Menu section of the program but you will not be sure which one you are getting "s" or "w" until you verify that in the Notepad document of the .psd file.

Either way we are still circling the basic question why the erratic highlighting seen trying to navigation the menu. We have yet to prove whether there will be a difference in menu highlighting HD vs SD (standard or widescreen) menu. I do not believe that you will find it to be the case, but in troubleshooting we must rule these factors in or out.

We will be watching for further developments. I will re-read your thread several more times to assure that something is not there that we are overlooking.

Thanks for your follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

Good morning. Looking forward to your results.

I have been doing some Google searching on your Premiere Elements Mac menu highlight issue. Have you seen the following? Although not Premiere Elements based rather Encore based, they are Mac based. So just some wondering about....

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/145/871409

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-449960.html

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

Thanks for the results. I am studying your results. Please confirm that everything above

So back to my original AVCHD HD Project:-

was done with a Premiere Elements PAL Widescreen Project Preset...if not which project preset

and everything below

So back to my original AVCHD HD Project:-

was done with a Premiere Elements PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 or PAL AVCHD HD1080i25 Project Preset

From the menu point of view, a just in case note...all the standard and standard widescreen menus have frame size of 720 x 576 whether you have a NTSC or PAL project, and all the HD menus have a frame size of 1440 x 1080.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

Premiere Elements is designed to take over setting the project preset for the project based on the properties of the first video dragged to its Timeline. Sometimes it does that OK, sometimes not. Typically, if it has problems with the set, it defaults to its default which is NTSC or PAL AVCHD Full 1080i30(25) depending if you have a NTSC or PAL setup.

If you want to check to see what the program has automatically set, then go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and look at the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

To overcome an incorrect program set, set the project preset yourself before you import you media into the project.

a. Open the project and go immediately to File Menu/New/Project.

b. Set the project preset that matches the properties of your source media...example, if you are using 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second, you select PAL AVCHD HD1080i25 as the project preset in that new project dialog. Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Select Project Setting on this Project" before exiting the new project dialog.

c. Then import you media into the project with Add Media/.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

Thank you for the continuing updates of your results.

I few things that I still need to compare notes on...

a. When you are setting the project preset yourself, are you 1st going the File Menu/New/Project to New Project Dialog Route for the set including "Force Selected...." option, then closing out of there and only then importing your video into the project with Add Media. I wondered about that since you wrote

3.  Opened a new project with PAL-AVCHD-1081i-25 settings, imported my clips which correspond with those settings and ticked the "Force Select...." box and burned a DVD in PAL widescreen.  This case also was identical to the above cases.

From what you wrote, it did not appear that you followed that order.

b. I just created a PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen from Premiere Elements 11 Windows, using as source media a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 video (Project Preset = PAL AVCHD HD1080i25. The disc menu selected was that Pan and Zoom HD one. My TV DVD player refuses to play it (I am in USA). I will try to see if I can convert it, but I suspect that I will not be able to. But, I will try.

However, this PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen does play back on my computer via CyberLink Power DVD without any distortion in the menus or video. Please confirm whether or not in your latest series of tests if there was ever disc menu distortion of problem with the menus for your PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen when it was played back on your computer.

I think it important to narrow this down to NTSC vs PAL or Windows vs Mac or combo therefrom including defining situation unique to your computer environment setup vs generalization. Unfortunately I do not have access to a Mac computer nor a TV DVD player that supports PAL DVD-VIDEO play back. But, I will try to see what I can do about my TV DVD player. It is an older Panasonic model. I will dig out the instruction manual to see if there is a code somewhere that I can change.

I would encourage any Premiere Elements 11 Mac user reading this thread to do a mini test run to see if you can confirm JJHKuma's specific results. It would be a major contribution.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

We will be looking forward to your results.

Although the documentation for my Panasonic DVD player/recorder suggests that I should be able to play back PAL DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, it will not. I will keep trying to figure out why not. But, your forthcoming results should provide a lot of valuable answers.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to EJHKuma

EJHKuma

I think that it is time to get Adobe involved in this matter. I would approach Adobe on the basis of an installation problem related to purchased/registered/latest version which may permit your some free Adobe Technical Service opportunities. Please include that understanding in your introductory contact with Adobe.

In one of my recent posts (# 32) in your thread, I wrote encouraging Premiere Elements 11 Mac users in PAL workflow to enter into the issue. So far I see no taker for the invitation.

This forum has diverse viewing around the world including people in PAL areas outside of the UK. So, we should not give up on one of them coming forward to learn and share in this matter. But that should not prohibit you from contacting Adobe sooner than later. The following link looks like it would get you Adobe Contact.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers