Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fickr Publish problem with LR5 and Windows 8

Jun 15, 2013 1:56 PM

I am unable to setup Flickr publish service in LR 5 running under Windows 8.

The process proceeds as expected until I authorize flickr to interact with Lightroom.  Then I receive a windows mssg stating "no apps installed to open this type of link (lightroom).  Look in App Store?"  I reply affirmatively and it comes back with no apps found.

I am able to setup the Facebook publish service successfully.

Any thoughts on why I cant authorize this Flickr publish?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 8:24 PM   in reply to ebwheat1

Can you give us a screenshot about the error you got? And it will be helpful if you can check and post the system info from menu Help-System Info.

Please also check if your system time/region is set correctly, sometimes the wrong time setting might cause a authorization problem of Facebook.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to ebwheat1

I have the same issue. Other publishing services are working and the system time and region are correctly set.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to ebwheat1

AlanZheng - I have the same exact issue but I am using Lightroom 4.4 64 bit with Windows 8 and IE 10 on a desktop PC. I captured a couple of screenshots in order as they appear.  I also have lightroom 4.4 installed on a laptop using windows 7 and IE 8.   I even tried a work around of clearing the lightroom preferences in the user appdata on the laptop and then re-authorized flickr on that machine.  Then saved the appdata  lightroom preferences in Notepad to a thumbdrive then opened that file in Notepad on the PC.  Copied the authorization lines including the oauth tokens to the Lightroom preferences in the PC's appdata for lightroom preferences.  That wouldn't work either.  As you might can tell from my reply, I am a computer engineer for a software company and I am at my wits end on this issue, but I am used to trying to resolve issue and I know you need as much detail as possible.  I also changed the owner of lightroom program from my user name on the PC to SYSTEM.  I have tried several other work arounds as well.  Anyway, here are the screenshots.  The first screenshot is as expected because it is similar to the one you get using windows 7, but when you click allow it is supposed to "open" or take you to the lightroom software and thereby the plug in manager lists flickr as "Authorized".  However in windows 8 you get the 2nd screenshot.  Click on the pop up takes you to the windows store with no results for lightroom.  If you click elsewhere on the screen the popup goes away and nothing else happens.  If you close the web browser and then click done on the plugin manager pop up flickr is not authorized.  And if you go to your flickr browser and got the Extend Flickr lightroom is not listed as a 3rd party app as it should be if it were authorized.

Capture Flickr 1.PNG

Flickr 2.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to ebwheat1

I would like to point out that I do have the Photo Upload plugin to publish to Google + and it authorized and works perfectly on the PC running windows 8.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 9:15 PM   in reply to UpstateTiger

Hey Tiger, thanks so much for your detailed info!

Firstly what I want to double confirm is: you have the same version Lightroom 4.4 installed on both Win7(IE8) and Win8(IE10), and Flickr publish is working fine on Win7 but failed on Win8 because the authorization was blocked by your 2nd screenshot. Is that right?

I have performed many tests for Flickr publish on Windows 8, and it's working fine on several different machines, I'd never seen the 2nd screenshot you got, so it really makes me confused, and now I can not figure out why the result on your side is so different from mine. Seeing from your screenshot, your IE browser seems to be the Metro Edition, which looks different from the IE - Desktop Edition, please see the my screenshot. Are you running Windows 8 64 bit on 32 bit? Could you please let me know the version number of your Windows 8 and IE 10? I need to know the last 4 digits of Windows 8 (e.g. 6.2.xxxx), and the last 5 digits of IE 10 (e.g. 10.0.9200.xxxxx).

It would be helpful if you could try to install another web browser on your Windows 8, such as Chrome, and set it as the default web browser, then create a new Flickr publish service again and see what will happen after you authorized on Chrome.

Flickr_authorization.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 9:40 PM   in reply to AlanZheng

Alan, it is the same version of Lightroom.  I recently purchased the new PC.  It is a Dell Inspiron 2330.  I copied the Lightroom to a thumb drive and moved it over to the new machine.  I did that because I bought the computer after Lightroom 5 came out and I could not find version 4 to download from the Adobe website, and I am not quite ready to purchase the upgrade yet.   My Win8 build number is 9200 and is 64 bit.  The IE version is 16599.  How could you tell I was using the Metro version?  I thought I was using the desktop version.  I did open the brower from the desktop and not the Start screen.  Your screenshot is the same window I get when authorizing on my Win7 machine.  I should point out that Lightroom is not listed as an app when I do a search from the start screen in Win8.  I would also like to note that although Lightroom is listed as an app if I do a search from the start screen when I click on the Look for app in the Store in the screenshot above I get a screen that says that no app "lightroom" exists  I downloaded Chrome and made it the default.  When I clicked the OK, I'll Authorize It button from the flickr screen I then get a blank webpage (screenshot below).  I left it for a few minutes and nothing happened.  I closed that window and clicked the done button in lightroom popup window but the plugin manager still says not authorized.

Capture Chrome.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 9:57 PM   in reply to UpstateTiger

a typo in my last reply...Lightroom IS listed as an app if I go to the search screen in Win8 but it does not show up when I click on the Look for app in Store box.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 10:51 PM   in reply to UpstateTiger

My Win8 build is 6.2.9200, same as yours, I also tested it on Windows 8.1, but can NOT reproduce the issue neither.

So you just copied the program with all binaries to the hard disck of the new Win8 machine, other than installing Lightroom on Windows 8.

That might be the cause of your issue, I will try this scenario later and see if I can catch your problem.

BTW: the above screenshot was captured on Windows 8, not Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to AlanZheng

I installed lightroom via the executable file from the entire program file I copied from the win7 machine.  The only thing close to your screenshot that I get is the first screenshot I sent you.  The most appreciable difference between yours and mine is that yours states "Do you want to allow this website to open a PROGRAM on your computer?" and my screen asks, "Do you want the website to open an APP on your computer?".   I am new to windows 8, if your screenshot is from Win8 could that difference between program and app possibly be a security setting somewhere?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to AlanZheng

I am having the same issue.  Everything was working in Lightroom 4.  After upgrading to 5 and removing 4 it doesn't work.  It asks me to find a program in the Windows Store...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 12:52 AM   in reply to thaehn

Hello thaehn,

Your clue is really helpful! Now I can reproduce the issue on my Windows 8 machine.

I installed both Lightroom 4 and Lightroom 5 on Win8, and then uninstalled Lightroom 4 from the Control Panel, finnaly when I tried to setup a Flickr service in Lightroom 5, I got the same IE page like Tiger posted: "Look for a app in the store".

So I want to confirm with everyone of you, have you once installed Lightroom 4 on your Windows 8 and then uninstalled it before you catch this problem in Lightroom 5?

And my test result shows that this problem can be resolved if you re-install Lightroom 5 via the installer. Could you please try it and let me know if it works for you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to AlanZheng

I did the opposite.  I installed the trial version of lightroom 5 on my new computer running Win 8.  Then I installed lightroom 4.4.   Now I cannot find lightroom 5 in my programs to uninstall it.  Any suggestions?  I did a search for lightroom 5 and found the readme file and the setup application.  I deleted the adobe lightroom 5 folder from computer/user/desktop/abobe and restarted the computer.  I then tried to authorize flickr in lightroom 4.4 and again get the same message as before.  I do not have lightroom 5 listed in control panel/programs.   Any suggestions as to what I should try next?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to AlanZheng

I installed Lightroom 5 trial version and then go into lightroom 4.4 and authorize flickr.  I actually got the pop up that is the same as your screen shot asking to allow to open a PROGRAM on the computer.  I clicked allow and that took me back to lightroom.  Then when I click done I received an error message.  I then uninstalled lightroom 5 and reinstalled lightroom 4.4.  Then tried to authorize flickr again.  This time I get the same result...get the correct pop up to allow the website to open a program, click done, and get the error message.  Below is the screenshot of the error message.  Any suggestions?  I also tried to authorize facebook, as I was having the same original issue as flickr.  It allows me to authorize on facebook then get the pop up to allow website to open a program, when I click Done on the lightroom pop up the publish manager says authorizing but never finishes.

P.S. - Alan, thanks for all your help.  You have responded in a very timely manner and have been helpful and professional  Thank you.

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to UpstateTiger

Ok...I fixed the crytunprotectdata error using the instructions I found in this Adobe community post and now I have flickr authorized:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5269129#5269129#5269129

However, when I try to authorize facebook it goes through all the steps except in the publish manager it just says "authorizing" but no matter how long you let it sit nothing else happens.  I did go into facebook and remove the lightroom app and then try to authorize but that same thing happens.

Authorizing.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to UpstateTiger

I was able to authorize my personal facebook account, but then I de-authorized it.  I would like to publish to my photography business facebook page.  This is were I am getting just the "authorizing".  Does the lightroom publish service not allow to authorize a facebook page?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 1:08 AM   in reply to UpstateTiger

I guess your problem is caused by the same issue, the differenc is you uninstalled Lightroom 5 which cause the Facebook publish plug-in in Lightroom 4 does not work correctly.

Could you please try to re-installed Lightroom4.4 and see if your problem can be fixed?

Here you can find the installer of Lightroom 4.4:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5567

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 12:11 AM   in reply to AlanZheng

Alan,

I am having this same problem. I also uninstalled LR4 after installing LR5 in my Creative Cloud membership. I could not figure out how to reinstall LR5 since the installs are all done with the CC app manager. Please help. LIke the others my attempt to authorize Flickr tells me there is no app associated with Lightroom in Windows 8 even though I know I have LR5 installed and working fine.

How do I get the install file for LR5 as a CC user?

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 12:13 AM   in reply to AlanZheng

This sounds promising... but how do I reinstall LR5? I don't have an install file? Do I uninstall and then use the CC app manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to UpstateTiger

Where yo able to find a solution to adding images to Facebook Pages from Lightroom  Publising Services??

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 4:15 PM   in reply to dazza1734-2

Yes. I did a clean re-install of LR5 and the problem was solved. 

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points