Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

Jun 15, 2013 10:52 PM

Tags: #narration #involuntary #recording_stops

So, I'm happily recording a narrative voice-over for my video and I notice that the Premiere Elements has stopped recording and the red "Record" button has reappeared. I didn't press the "stop recording" button. This was something that PE decided to do on its own, rather like Hal in Kubrick's 2001.

Wot gives?

Roy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

This is not normal behavioral by any means. It could be a resource issue. What operating system are you running, how fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? How much free, clean, freshly defragmend space is on your hard drive(s)?

Background processes might also be triggering this. Norton 360 is notorious for this kind of thing. What antivirus program do you have? And have you turned off Windows Indexing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

In addition to Steve's questions, I have one more please:

Are your HDD's formatted to FAT-32, or NTSF? If FAT-32, then you are limited to ~ 4GB for a file size. If you exceed that, Windows cannot process the file, and will cause a "reset."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

RoysScreenName

I often write that problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes.

Using that as my disclaimer, you might want to check out the following 2010 thread that I was involved in elsewhere which had to do with with "Narrative Recording Quits After 30 sec" (Premiere Elements 7 Windows 7)

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61237

I have not revisited the issue since. If any of that applies to your situation great, if not please disregard.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

I'm most concerned about all that partitioning. I think you've probably crippled your machine with it.

Video editing performance relies on working with huge chunks of adjacent free space. If youv'e chopped up your hard drive so that you have no more than 20 gigs of space in each partition, this program is likely to choke every time you attempt an intensive function.

On today's modern NTFS drive, there really is no advantage to partitioning whatsoever. In fact, there are many more liabilities. In fact, most likely removing those partitions so that you've got one big, whole NTFS drive (and maybe a small partition for Windows recovery files) would solve pretty much all of your Premiere Elements problems.

That said, which drive/partition is your project file on?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 6:04 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Please let us know how moving the WAB (Work Area Bar) works. I can certainly understand how that might interfere with recording narration.

As for Steve's comments on partitions, I did an article on them, when editing video. It might be useful in the future: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5274334#5274334

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

There are plenty of free partitioning tools available. The one I currently have installed (having tried several of them) is 'Mini Tool Partition Wizard' that does pretty much all I've ever wanted.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

I've used it plenty of times without any problems. It was my favourite of three free options I tried. The other two, that have free versions, are EaseUS and Paragon (the latter requires you register the software). Then there is also GParted the free Linux based partition tool (that works fine with Windows systems with its own boot disk).

All four I've listed can repartition without data loss* - if you decide to go for another product make sure that is top of your requirements. Otherwise you will have to restore all your data from backups.

Other tips - if you have set your user directories to other partititons (e.g. directed Videos to say F:) reset them all to C: immediately before repartititioing. It'll just speed up putting things in the right place afterward.

* It should go without saying that you should back up your entire system before doing something like repartitioning.

MiniTool Partition Wizard: Fortunately despite their web site language problems their Operations choices are succinctly labelled (click image for full size version).

1.jpg

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points