Skip navigation
adamparsons1234
Currently Being Moderated

mono to stereo?

Jun 16, 2013 12:21 AM

i made a delay setting that made something sound a tiny bit stereo. fake stereo obviously but was effective but i've lost the setting and whatever i try sounds terrible or goes too far into one speaker and not the other. any ideas on how to make something sound less mono?

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 16, 2013 2:13 AM   in reply to adamparsons1234

adamparsons1234 wrote:

any ideas on how to make something sound less mono?

Yes, just the one... and it works remarkably well. But there again, it should, because it's based on some quite sound psychoacoustic research. Download the SHEPPi free spatial enhancer, feed your mono signal to it, crank all the controls up quite a long way, and be prepared to be pleasently surprised...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to adamparsons1234

I have an album from 1984 originally mixed in Mono, which I wanted to re-master for a new release. I tried various Stereo Enhancers, and then came across NuGen Audio Stereoizer. For my purposes, this worked better than anything else. You can download a trial version. Definitely worth a look.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 16, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to aomahana

The NuGen uses the some of the same principles as the SHEPPi, and probably works nearly as well - for $119...

SHEPPi is free!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I've tried SHEPPi in CS6 and it is very cool. But Audition CC doesn't recognize it. Perhaps of 64-bit

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 18, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to Kost7

Kost7 wrote:

I've tried SHEPPi in CS6 and it is very cool. But Audition CC doesn't recognize it. Perhaps of 64-bit

Not perhaps - definitely. I'll say it now and get it out of the way...

Audition CC will only recognise 64-bit VST plugins natively

If you purchase JBridge, with a little (or if it's bad, a lot) of mucking about, you should be able to use 32-bit ones with it as well. There's a bit of interfacing built in to help JBridge to integrate, but during testing, I have to say that quite a few people had some difficulties with it. The guy that wrote it knows quite a bit about getting it to work with Audition CC though, so there is some support available if you need it.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 19, 2013 1:51 AM   in reply to adamparsons1234

This plugin does stuff that would be very hard to achieve easily in Audition. If you look at the plan of what it does, and then figure that you'd have to replicate all of those steps individually, plus controlling it, we'd be here for ever describing how to do it.

Plugins are easy to install. You put the plugin .dll in the plugin folder (you'll see where this is if you go into the plugin management section) and then get Audition to scan for plugin changes. When you've done this, the plugin is available in just the same way that all the other effects are. To all intents and purposes, Audition's effects are also VSTs, so that's not so surprising...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points