Skip navigation
Clive Bates
Currently Being Moderated

Is the PDF viewer plugin compatible with Chrome on a Mac?

Jun 16, 2013 3:44 AM

Tags: #x #mac #reader #plugin #os #chrome

I have installed:

Adobe Reader XI,

Chrome 27.0.1453.110 on

Mac OS X 10.8.4

The Adobe PDF reader plugin doesn't appear in the chrome://plugins list...

Is support limited to the Safari browser? Are there any work arounds - for example installing older versions?  I have a strong prefernce for staying with Chrome, but may have to move to Safari if it can't work.  The native Chrome PDF viewer lacks the necessary function.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to Clive Bates

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142056?hl=en

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142064?hl=en

Those links have more info on Chrom plugins and how to enable or disable them.

From the first link:

By default, Chrome uses a built in viewer to open PDFs. If you've disabled the built-in PDF viewer, Chrome will use Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader to display PDFs. Follow the suggestions at the first link if you're having trouble viewing PDFs within Chrome, using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.

First check if the issue is specific to Chrome. Try opening PDFs in another browser on your computer, such as Firefox. If you experience similar problems viewing PDFs in another browser, the issue is likely not related to Chrome.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to Clive Bates

"As someone just switching from Windows to Mac, this is one of the disappointments."

You'll find over time the advantages far outweigh the disappointments. I switched back before Intel processors, Software was much more limited, and things ran a lot slower on a 400mHz PPC processor, than they do on a Corei7.

I'm getting a new MacBook Pro next month and I'l be gald to be back on a Mac again. It's been three years since I lost my MBP 13".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points