Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF

Jun 16, 2013 4:33 AM

Tags: #help #indesign #printing #print #booklet #quality #quality_loss #a5 #indesign_cs6 #photographs #imges

Hi!

I've searched the entire web trying to find a working solution for my problem but I wasn't able to find anything...

I've created a A5 vertical page document in InDesign CS6, filled with High-Quality photographs. I now want to print it as a booklet (to a PDF file) so I can save it and print it in a professional establishment.

The problem is, when I do this, the image quality turns out terrible...

I've checked my Print Settings and I can't find anything wrong...

Setup - A4 horizontally, and Graphics - Images - Send Data - is set to All.

Is there anything else I can do/try? What can I be doing wrong?

Here is an image of my print settings:

printsettings_ind.png

When I export the document normally to PDF the image quality is fine, but it doesn't have the booklet layout which I need, it just exports single A5 pages one after the other. If I try to print this pdf as a booklet in Adobe Reader the same thing happens to the images, they loose quality.

Please help!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to tepatroni

tepatroni wrote:

I now want to print it as a booklet (to a PDF file) so I can save it and print it in a professional establishment.

Did you check withthei "professional establishment" as to what they want. Commercial printers do not, in general, want you to impose the document. That's their job and they need to do it in a way that fits the paper and equipment they use for the printing.

That said, your problem with low quality images is probably the default PDF settings. Either change them to something useful in the Pringter properties in Windows, or click the Setup button in the Print dialog to access the driver from there and set them as you'd like. I'm pretty sure the default when the PDF printer is installed is "standard" which gives you 72 ppi RGB output.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to tepatroni

If you are giving this to a commercial printing company of some sort you should not be making the booklet unless specifically asked to do so, and if you are asked to do it you should either be getting a terrific discount onthe price for doing their work for them, or you should be looking for a new printer.

Print Booklet is really intended for printing in-house in an office-type environment or MAYBE for taking to your local office store like Staples or Kinkos in the US (I'm guessing you have something similar where you are), but these are not really commercial printers and generally have inexperienced workers who are not capable of producing high quality output.

Did you save the new default in the Adobe PDF printer properties?  Did you check the driver settings by pressing the Print Setup button in the Print Booklet dialog and then the Setup button in the print dialog?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 16, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to tepatroni

When I export the document normally to PDF the image quality is fine, but it doesn't have the booklet layout which I need...

My solution was to download a free-trial of a professional pdf editor/creator (Soda PDF) and print it to that program... but, of course, this is not a long-term solution...

Have you tried exporting and using AcrobatPro's booklet printing

Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 1.06.23 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 16, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to tepatroni

I did all those things and it's much better now, all though the colors suddenly are a bit off, but I'm sure with a little bit experamenting I'll find the right configuration for the colors.

Export to PDF/X-4

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 16, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to tepatroni

but since the problem was/is in the Printer properties the quality remained the same.

Don't Print the PDF, Export. The printer can handle the imposition. Simple 2-up booklets can be imposed out of Acrobat without additional imposition software.

You don't want to send out imposed documents because you can't know what the imposition needs of the printer are—2-up, 4-up, creep, etc?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to tepatroni

There are a number of alternatives to Print Booklet for imposing a file in ID before (or after) exporting to PDF. For simple two-up impositons like yours there are free scripts from Dave Saunders among others (http://pdsassoc.com/downloads/Buildbooklet.zip and Dave's CS3 Booklet Script) as well  as the more fully-featured IDImposer plugin, also currently free at Overview | IDImposer. For imposing the exported PDF are there are the Acrobat plugins Quite Imposing and PDF Snake, neither of which I've used, and probably some scripts, too, similar to Dave's.

But let me repeat that you should only be imposing if the printer tells you to. Supplying an imposed file when they want single pages can actually make it impossible for them to work.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 16, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to tepatroni

My problem was that to have a arranged booklet pdf

In Addition to  Peter's points, how do you know what the imposition requirements are if you aren't communicating with printer? What if they need page 4- or 8-up? What if the imposition needs a creep allowance?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points