Currently Being Moderated

Can i create this sort of lettering with cs3

Jun 16, 2013 4:29 AM

I need to create lettering like this ? IMG_0867.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 4:59 AM   in reply to spannerman83

spannerman,

If you mean the perspective, you may use the Free Transform Tool (Holding Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift for distortion in perspective), possibly along with Object>Transform>Shear.

If you mean the (strange inverted/opposite) extrusion, you may use Object>Blend between two instances of each letter with many blend steps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to spannerman83

It's what the old sign painters used to call "shade" lettering and is one of the most common effects used in signage for over a century. Nowadays we think of it as parallel extrusion. (It's actually oblique extrusion, because the lettering is not "rotated", yet you can see its "sides".)

In Corel Draw, you can create the basic shapes for it in literally less than a second by simply dragging with the Interactive Extrude Tool.

In Illustrator, you have to construct it by one means or another.

This is assuming you need clean and tidy paths as would be appropriate for cutting from sign vinyl. Since the 80s, in drawing programs that can't actually do it (like Illustrator), users would (and some still do) use a ridiculously tightly-spaced Blend. But that results in a stack of an absurd number of individual paths, and "sawtooth" extrusion edges--completely inappropriate for vinyl cutting--which has to be cleaned up by some means or another. That's why using the method shown in the PDF is more expedient.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 5:40 AM   in reply to spannerman83

spannerman,

In that case you should definitely use the excellent construct it link provided by James.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to spannerman83

you don't need any of the above. do it with the 3d extrude effect. set your rotation to 1, -1, 0 (becaues your are in cs3 I think the order of roation is different) ,and your extrude depth to the desired number.

if you want the black shadow without expanding and reasigning colors, give your text a thin black outline and set your surface to no shading.

I usually just start with ony white fill (no outline), extrude, expand and merge my results. I keep a copy of the original on top for the cleanest result.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points