Skip navigation
Mhmood Zaidan
Currently Being Moderated

Arabic digits don't work when typing using arabic as a language

Jun 16, 2013 4:55 AM

Tags: #indesign #format #paragraph #arabic #style #language #numbers #hindi #digits

Hi there,

I am designing a book in arabic. When I type numbers they are in Hindi (١،٢،٣...) format. I want the numbers to be typed in arabic (0,1,2,3...) because that's what is used in arabic.

In the "Middle East Character Formats" section of the "Paragraph style options" of the paragraph style I am using, I changed the Digits to "Arabic (0123456789)" but no change happened to my paragraph. The digits are still displayed in "Hindi" format.

I would appreciate it if someone helped me with this,

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to Mhmood Zaidan

Did you change the language of the paragraph/character style to a language which uses arabic numbers?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to Mhmood Zaidan

Do you use a font which supports these numbers? Do you use a OTF font? Did you try with a different font which contains such glyphs?

Does you Id Version support ME capabilities, either by plugin or because it is a ME version?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to Mhmood Zaidan

I changed the Digits to "Arabic (0123456789)" but no change happened to my paragraph. The digits are still displayed in "Hindi" format.

Are there any overrides on the paragraph? If there is a plus symbol next to the style name when you have selected some text in the paragraph, then the selected text doesn't match the Paragraph Style in some way. You'd need to clear the overrides (by right-clicking on the style name? I never remember, I assigned a keyboard shortcut because I spend so much time clearing overrides) to get the text to return to the style you defined.

It could also be a character style that has an overt "Hindi digits" definition. Are there any character styles applied?

I am designing a book in arabic. When I type numbers they are in Hindi (١،٢،٣...) format. I want the numbers to be typed in arabic (0,1,2,3...) because that's what is used in arabic.

Um, what?

I usually see Hindi numerals used in Arabic. Because I set type for an Arabic-reading population in the US, my translators often like to use both numeral systems within the same document. (You know, Arabic for phone numbers and street numbers, but Hindi for everything else.) But when I read documents that come from places where Arabic is the dominant or sole language, the numerals are almost always exclusively in Hindi format. So maybe I'm not understanding what you say here, but it sounds incorrect to me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points