Skip navigation
malvaandmax
Currently Being Moderated

Having trouble with the InDesign cs6 TOC?

Jun 16, 2013 4:52 PM

Tags: #toc_unresponsive

I just installed cs6 from the Adobe Cloud, and nearly had a nervous break-down with the TOC. I had all my paragraph styles laid out in my book and created new TOC styles for them. Part of the toc would show come back with the paragraph styles from the book (not what I wanted) and part would be in the TOC style. Totally random! I only had 3 paragraph styles, and I had to fudge and redo all the paragraph styles in the book with the TOC styles, do the TOC and swap again. I wonder if anyone has encountered this problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to malvaandmax

Sounds like you may have a nested style applied to some of the text in the Paragraph Styles.

To see this - locate a TOC that gets messed up - go to that page where the TOC reference resides - and select the text with the text tool.

Open the Character Style panel - and you will see if there's a Style applied by looking at the bottom of the panel - this will show a style name.

You will then see if there's a character style applied to the text.

When the TOC imports the Paragraph it imports everything with it - what you should have is TOC styles specific to the layout you want and name them something like

TOC 1

TOC 2

TOC 3

etc.

When you make the TOC with the Dialog Box you can then choose to have

Heading 1 - mapped to TOC1

Heading 2 - mapped to TOC 2

Heading 3 - mapepd to TOC 3

Hope that helps

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to malvaandmax

We really need to see screen captures of the text inthe bokk and how it looks in the TOC. Also, nested styles are not a problem, but character styles or local formatting applied outsied the paragraph style definition WILL carry through to the TOC as overrides to the selected style there.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points