Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Camera Raw 8.1 file size is different

Jun 16, 2013 9:17 PM

When I open my Raw Images in Photoshop CS5 Camera Raw, The file size is correct It was shot at 240 ppi.

But when I open the same Image In Photoshop CS6 Camera Raw 8.1, the Image converts to 300 ppi.

Off course I can go ahead and open the file Inside the Photoshop and change the Image size when Resample Image Is checked  and change the Resolution to 240 ppi. But I don't want to do that

I want the Camera Raw 8.1  to open all my Raw Images AS IS, which is 240 ppi. Default size for Canon 5D.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 9:40 PM   in reply to animationlife

First of all, you're confusing resolution (ppi) with size (the weight of the file on disk) and possibly overlooking dimensions (so many pixels wide by so many pixels high).

In any event what ppi you set in camera is utterly irrelevant to Camera Raw.  ACR will open your file in whatever resolution you choose in your ACR workflow options.  If it opens at 300 ppi that's because that's what you chose in ACR.

In the ACR workflow options you get to choose the color space it will be converted into, the bit depth, the resolution (ppi) and any resizing you wish to do if possible.

ACR_81_Workflow_Options.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 10:34 PM   in reply to animationlife

The dialog box has changed, sure.

Still, whatever values you choose there will stick.

Of course you can still choose your original image.  Who says you can't?  That would be absurd.

I think you are still confused.  Resolution (ppi) is still always strictly what you choose.  That has not changed one bit. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points