Skip navigation
viewfromnowhere
Currently Being Moderated

4:3 footage has black bars even with 4:3 project setting--can they be removed?

Jun 16, 2013 10:56 PM

Hi there. My first post on the forums, so please be kind!

I've imported some archival footage that is 4:3 aspect ratio. I open a 'new' project and click change settings, and select either of the two available project settings that have 4:3 aspect ratios (NTS  - DV - Standard or NTSC - Hard Disk - Standard) . But when I import the footage into Premiere, I still get a (slight) black bar on both the right and left sides of the image—it's not properly flush, even though the aspect ratio of my setting matches the aspect ratio of my footage. The footage I'm using is from archive.org, so the footage is all from the '50s or so. I know it's not a problem with the Archive footage, since I could import it into my ten-year-old Dell into Windows Movie Maker and it would be flush with the aspect ratio. The only thing I can think to do is stretch the image slightly so it makes it flush, but that's incredibly time-consuming when you're working with multiple clips--and it degrades the image and cuts off visual footage. Is there a better way to fix this--get the black bars on the right and left to go away so it's all image?

Edit: Included a picture in case it helps.example.jpg

Message was edited by: viewfromnowhere

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to viewfromnowhere

Most likely this has to do with the codec and frame size of the footage. As you can see it's not true 4:3. It's slightly taller and/or not quite as wide.

Open the footage in a program called G Spot. (http://download.cnet.com/GSpot/3000-2248_4-10381198.html) It will list the codec, frame rate and resolution for the file.

Once we have that information, we can advise you how best to resolve this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to viewfromnowhere

viewfromnowhere

There is no error with Premiere Elements with regard to 720 x 480 as it relates to NTSC DV video 4:3, 720 x 480. This all goes to "Square Pixels versus Non Square Pixels (often referred to as rectangular)". 720 x 480 is the non square pixel equivalent of  640 x 480 (4:3) square pixels. SG will explain further when he answers the question that you two are discussing. Until he returns, you might want to check out these  online articlse explaining non square and square pixel and how it relates to the matter that you present.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/gerard_rick/pixel_madness.php

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/205/872969

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to viewfromnowhere

That is because Adobe change (2009?) the Pixel Aspect Ratio for DV footage (rectangular/non-square pixels), hence the black bars on the side.

You can correct this by slightly scaling the footage up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:46 PM   in reply to viewfromnowhere

viewfromnowhere

As a courtesy to SG and with the thought that he would be returning to your thread shortly, I did not offer any how to input on the matter.

Since your questions seem to be pressing at this time, I would offer the following.

You can give a slight scale up to the first video on the Timeline.

For now I am assuming that you are using Premiere Elements 11 Windows (you do need to give that information for version specific details)

Right click your first video clip on the Timeline Expert view, select Copy.

Then hold down the Shift key of the computer main keyboard as you click on each of the remaining clips to select/hightlight them altogether.

Then click anywhere in the highlight and select Paste Effects and Adjustments.

All should be scaled to the same %. You can check under Applied Effect/Motion Panel expanded/Scale (note with a check mark next to Constrain Proportions, Width and Height are scaled together; with no check mark next to Constrain Proportions, width and height can be scaled separately.)

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:50 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Yep. I agree with ATR.

Your footage is only 320x240 -- so you're rezzing it up to even fit a 720x480 video frame and even then it's not an exact fit. But increasing the scale just a bit will file the frame with your video, although you'll lose a couple of pixels from the top and bottom of the picture.

Also, because you're starting with such low resolution footage, you should be prepared for the fact that your final output isn't going to look crystal clear. It's going to look a bit fuzzy as a DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to viewfromnowhere

Well, in their defense, it IS an archive site. It's not meant as a stock photo site for providing high-quality, editable video.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points