Skip navigation
funialovska
Currently Being Moderated

What Program Can I Use To Write Children's Music Book?

Jun 16, 2013 11:45 PM

Ok, I am desperate in need of some professional advice.

I am writing a method book for children, it involves many images, big, small, different sizes... and very little text. 

I have been writing my drafts on Word but soon realized that Word will not help me in organizing my layout. I also have music excerpts which I write on Finale. I need to know if InDesign would be an ideal program to put files from Word and Finale together, and make a consistent layout throughout. I just downloaded the InDesign trial, and I am having trouble using it, but I am new to it, so if someone says InDesign is going to be ideal to put things together, I will learn it for sure. If anyone also has a good site or book or youtube link about how to organize a book on InDesign to recommend for total new beginner like me, I will be grateful! Another technical question would be, how can I import my files from Finale and Word to InDesign?

Hope to hear from someone soon...... hello.. someone.. help...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 12:33 AM   in reply to funialovska

Hi

Adobe InDesign is a complex and professional publishing application. It will easily produce artwork for the kind of book you are describing, including placing your Word files and illustrations. (I understand Finale will export musical notation as JPGs.)

You have to decide whether you want to invest the time in learning this program, and subsequently dealing with printers etc, or whether you should approach a local graphic designer and get them to do the design and artwork for you.

You also have the option with InDesign to produce eBook versions, including PDF, ePub, .mobi (for Kindle) and Adobe DPS. This book gives a good survey of the various formats: http://www.amazon.com/ePublishing-InDesign-CS6-publications-smartphone s/dp/1118305590/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371454183&sr=1-12&key words=indesign

If you do decide to learn InDesign you can get help on this forum with specific questions. You will also (my view) need to undertake training preferably personal training in a small group or alternatively an online course such as those run by Lynda.com - http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/InDesign-CS6-Essential-Trainin g/96305-2.html

Good luck!

Derek

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:37 AM   in reply to DerekC1000

What Derek said. But I think all recent versions of Finale are able to

export postscript, and I think the latest version also exports directly

to PDF. So it would be best to use one of those, to keep your output

vector and maintain Finale's high quality.

Alternatively, if you have Acrobat you should be able to print directly

to PDF.

The point is to keep Finale's output vector when placing in InDesign.

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 1:01 AM   in reply to [Ariel]

The other Lynda.com InDesign training I meant to mention is (this is description is from their blurb):

Explore book design with Nigel French, as he breaks down the components of an elegant and readable layout and jumps into the setup and strategy for designing a book from the ground up in Adobe InDesign. This class covers document setup, placing and styling text, working with images, creating the book cover, preparing the book for print and or distribution as an ebook.

http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Designing-Book/114894-2.html

(I have no connection with Lynda.com)

D

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to DerekC1000

If you'd like to check out Lynda (and you really should), this link will get you a a free one-week trial: http://bit.ly/RS0GXs

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to funialovska

InDesign is too complex and intimidating for any average newcomer, so you better turn around right now, UNLESS you're smart enough to create, compose, and annotate music, and write a book that teaches it.

In addition to the good suggestions already in this thread, search Google for terms like "InDesign books tutorial," "InDesign table of contents tutorial," "InDesign place import files tutorial," without quotes.

As in music, correct nomenclature and terminology help you find what you need. In InDesign (and many graphics and layout programs,) "place" means "import a file," using the File > Place command.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers