Skip navigation
Ferllings
Currently Being Moderated

Pages not updated on template change

Jun 17, 2013 2:15 AM

Tags: #error #template #dreamweaver #update #cs6

Hello,

I having an issue after Upgrading Dreamweaver from CS5 to CS6. (OSX)

(The feature was working fine on CS5)

When I update a tempate, the pages that are using it are not updated automatically.

If I try 'Updates pages...' > 'Files that use...' > 'My Template', it does not work either:

Done.
  files examined: 0
  files updated: 0
  files which could not be updated: 0
total time: (0:00:00)

Why files examined = 0?

The only way that work are:

- 'Updates pages...' > 'Entire site'

or

- On an individual page : 'Update page'

- I've tried to reinstall CS6

- Clear the cache

- Recreate the project

- reassociate the page to templates (with 'Update page on template changes' checked)

Any idea?

Thanks for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 2:35 AM   in reply to Ferllings

I have the same problem sometimes, and I'm on OSX and with CS6, CS5.5 and CS5...

As you say, the only way to ensure all pages are updated is to update each page individually, or do an entire site update.

I have found that if I quit and restart DW, it fixes the problem for a while. Maybe it might for you! I have to say that this has been the most 'buggy' version of DW that I have ever used... and I have been using it since it was called drumbeat and only handled classic ASP!

I've been talking directly with the DW dev team telling them of my problems, and I reckon I've told them of about a dozen seriously hindering problems that occur on a daily basis, but none have been rectified. It seems that this DW and OSX don't get along too well in some cases. I have just learned to change my workflow to manage ways around the issues, but some just can't be worked around.

Anyway, if you dev with PHP, you could always use includes to reduce your need to update via template. Include files, although included in a page are actually standalone files that when changed, automatically populate those changes everywhere they are used, so no DW update is required.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to Ferllings

When I update a tempate, the pages that are using it are not updated automatically.

This means either that you are misunderstanding how templates work, or that you have somehow broken the link between the template and the child pages (by, for example, moving the template into a directory other than the "Templates" directory, or changing the location of that Templates directory to somewhere other than the root of the site).

Diagnosing the problem is pretty easy, but to do it, we would need to a) see a child page and its code, and b) know what change you were making to the template. Can you please post a link to one of the live wayward child pages?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 6:14 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

And contrary to matthew's suggestion, I have never seen DW's template engine to fail to operate as designed on any site. And I started out as a Drumbeat/DW2 user too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 6:43 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

I've watched DW go through the process of updating a number of pages, then for no reason stop midway through an update, so I've obviously not broken links to the template by moving it to anywhere other than where it's meant to be, otherwise all pages would fail to work in the update. I now have to examine the template update pane everytime before I dismiss it.

The action Ferllings has to take to maunally update each page by opening it and doing 'Modify -> Templates -> Update current page' which then rectifies the issue would imply the link to the template isn't broken. I too have had to do this.

I get a lot of people ask me about strange quirks they find in all of Adobe's software, unfortunately I am not able to answer each and every one because I have not experienced it myself and it's just one of them things that happens. I say report it to Adobe so the tech support can look into it. To be honest, half of what I have reported in this version of DW they are aware of, but can't do anything about because they are unable to replicate the problem. I've even offered to allow them to take control of my Mac so they can see the problem, I've been followed up to see if the problem has been rectified by an updated version of DW, so I do know they have tried to correct the issues, but it hasn't worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to Ferllings

Ferllings - if you want to solve the issue, then please do as I suggested. If not, then....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to matthew stuart

The action Ferllings has to take to maunally update each page by opening it and doing 'Modify -> Templates -> Update current page' which then rectifies the issue would imply the link to the template isn't broken. I too have had to do this.

And I've never had to do it.

This thread is about Ferlling's template issues, not every other fault you have found in Adobe's software. Please keep this discussion on topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to Ferllings

And what is it you are trying to change in the template that should be propagated to this page?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Ferllings

OK - so, you open your template file, remove the item from the main menu bar, save the template and you get 0 files updated? Is the site normal (I mean is the template *.dwt file within the Templates folder which is at the root level of the site)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to Ferllings

The Templates folder is at the root of the site, localy (and also on the live server)

There is not a need to upload the Templates folder unless you want to share those files with someone else. Templates only belong in the Templates folder of your local site. Uploading them won't cause any errors or problems, but it's just unnecessary for the functionality.

So, you save the modified template file, and on saving there is NO prompt to update files in the site?

Sorry for being repetitive, but I want to make sure of what you are saying as this is so unusual. If this is the case, then I am having doubts about the quality of your DW installation. Are you seeing any other unusual problems?

Anyhow, can you upload this template file - /Templates/homepage_new.dwt - so that I can see the code on that page, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to Ferllings

I have had this problem. Just as you describe it.

And here is what is really happening:

The cache is either corrupted, not loading correctly or Dreamweaver is out of memory and cannot load the cache.

Usually, quitting Dreamweaver and starting up again fixes the problem.

If that does not, you need to recreate your cache for the website in question:

Top menu Site>Advanced>Recreate Site Cache…

Frankly, I'd do this only after quitting and restarting Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to mhollis55

Mark - that's what I was thinking too. Good suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

May need to remove the filecache completely too. Check the FAQ for this forum to see how to do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Doesn't recreating it, essentially, destroy the old one? It should.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to mhollis55

Seem to have had mixed results just doing a recreation. Not sure about the dependencies there. For sure, if there is a site cache problem, deleting the winfilecache.dat file will fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

If it is not deleting, or fully overwriting the file, then that is a bug in the app. Re-creation of a cache -- or of any file -- should obliterate the file.

---

When a Library expels a book of mine and leaves an unexpurgated Bible lying around where unprotected youth and age can get hold of it, the deep unconscious irony of it delights me and doesn’t anger me.

-Mark Twain

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to Ferllings

You're not trying to make the template page on the server update the remote site files, are you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to Ferllings

I believe that could be part of the problem if not the whole thing. Have you checked out all of the child pages before saving the modified template? If not, then DW cannot save changes to a file that you haven't checked out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:51 AM   in reply to Ferllings

OK - I'll look into it, then. It's been quite a few years since I used Contribute and didn't remember that action.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

Has an answer been found to this non-updating problem? I'm having similar issues on Mac OS 10.8: sites that used to update suddenly don't update anymore. Saving the template results in no update dialog box coming up to prompt me (which it used to do) and a look at the code on the pages shows they have not been automatically updated. Going to Modify->Templates->Update pages and choosing "Files that use" results in:

Done.

files examined: 0

files updated: 0

files which could not be updated: 0

total time: (0:00:00)

Selecting each page manually and doing Modify->Templates-> Update Current Page takes more time than just doing a Find & Replace for the block of code I want to change, which sort of defeats the purpose of templates, which is to save time on changing the same thing on all the pages in a site.

My templates for each site are in the Templates folder in the root directory.

I tried the Recreate Site Cache option, to no avail.

Oh, and I'm not using Contribute, so I'm not uploading Templates to the server, and I'm editing locally.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 1:16 AM   in reply to naomiquinones

@naomiquinones : Can you please your files and details regarding your setup - DW Version and OS version

write to me @ vharis@adobe.com - I will get this issue investigated ASAP

In addition you can also log a bug @
    https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 7:13 AM   in reply to vharis

Has there been a fix for this? I am also on a MAC in Dreamweaver CC and unable to update my templates since updating to Creative Cloud. The two other PCs in my office are able to update the templates normally for the exact same site.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 8:40 AM   in reply to tif_nee

Today I started experiencing the same problem: "Updating files" starts, but it doesn't proceed and it stays like this forever.

Accidentally, I found a solution: if the edited template file  is open, close it and then the files' update will complete as usually.

It is annoying but that's the only way I managed to make it work. Before finding this solution, I deleted the cache of Dreamweaver, closed and re-opened the program, restarted my PC, recreated site cache but nothing worked. The program appeared suddenly and Dreamweaver could not update files even in sites, that had been unchanged for months.

I hope someone will eventually find why this is happening and suggest the real solution.

Yannis

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to Yannis2810

Did you clear your cache?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2013 2:00 AM   in reply to mhollis55

Yes, sure. I deleted the cache but it didn't help. Actually, as long as any files are open, then the mass update process stalls until all files are closed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points