Skip navigation
Jacky.White
Currently Being Moderated

AVI files

Jun 17, 2013 3:10 AM

My AVI files break up and go green in Premier 10. The files will play in Windows media. Has anybody solved this problem>

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 3:17 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

Please post a screendump of the analysis of one of the avi's from Mediainfo in tree view.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/nl

Make sure you have the latest graphicscard driver installed.

Mac or Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Also, please indicate what model of camcorder this video came from. There are thousands of types of AVI files, and only a few are editable.

If your video was converted or did not come from a camcorder, open it in G Spot and post the codec, resolution and frame rate listed.

http://download.cnet.com/GSpot/3000-2248_4-10381198.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

Not seeing any attachment, Jacky.

Make sure you're trying to attach the screen shot on the web site and not over your smartphone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 has screen dump instructions... yours are still not showing

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

Sent? Are you trying to e-mail your post from a smartphone? That won't work.

As I said in a previous post, you need to be on the forum web site in order to post an attachment or screen shot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to Jacky.White

screendump avi..jpg

Oh I see. Here is the screendump of one of the avi. files.

I'll also insert the video if that helps

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:19 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Yes I do. I had the PC made especially for making videos and I have no trouble with mpeg files. Also Media player plays avi. files. They are 15 frames per sec. Maybe its too slow?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to Jacky White

H.264 will not work inside an AVI wrapper http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854115

Says VLC will convert in #6 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1172956

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Although before you try a conversion, try just changing the file suffix from .avi to .mp4 and see if that makes a difference.

Start a new Premiere Elements project, making sure to select the settings for Flip Mino HD. That's probably the setting most compatible with this form of .mp4 file.

If you still can't load the file into Premiere Elements, you'll need to do a conversion. Although be sure to follow the conversion instructions John links you to very carefully! If you don't do your conversion right, you may end up making your video less rather than more compatible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 1:44 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thanks Steve. I tried renaming the file. It made no difference. Also I've been through John's procedure.  The file is in the folder but its made no difference to the video files. Do I need to associate it somehow? I'm still getting exactly the same flickering and green screen in the videos.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:13 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Where do I find those settings please? I can't find them under the 'Pal' heading

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 5:18 AM   in reply to Jacky White

No need to choose the PAL setting. The NTSC setting for the Flip camcorder is supposedly cross-platform.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

OK Steve, tried that, still no difference. Now I'm beginning to despair! Why can Media player play the files as they are and not Adobe? It would be so much easier if Adobe would build in the ability to play avi. files. Surely not much to ask?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to Jacky White

>build in the ability to play avi. files. Surely not much to ask?

Playing and editing are VERY different functions... PreElements must have a codec installed that allows for edit

Unfortunately, starting with h.264 inside an avi wrapper causes problems

Tell Adobe what you need (a new codec for editing) at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

>older PC that would play the avi files

Again... playing is not the same as editing

But... what codecs did you install on the old computer, and do you have the install files?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

I don't know what codec it was using or how to find it. Also, if Media player will play .avi files on my new PC, doesn't that mean I already have the right codec, but Premier doesn't use it. Am I being naive?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to Jacky.White

Jacky,

Sorry to be so late to the party.

As has been pointed out, having a CODEC for playback, is different, than being able to use that CODEC for editing. In very, very general terms, there are basically three "types" of Video CODEC's:

1. CODEC's used for playback - most common, and largest sub-set of CODEC's
    2. CODEC's used to Encode/Transcode to, with Export/Share/Publish - second most common, though a smaller sub-set of CODEC's
    3. CODEC's used by an NLE (Non Linear Editor) program to edit - much smaller sub-set, and is limited by the exact NLE program, or version of it

To confuse things a bit more, there are several media players, like VLC, and MediaPlayer Classic HC, that contain their own set of CODEC's, to be used for playback. Most CODEC's are installed into the OS, but those players first look to the OS, and if the necessary CODEC is not found, they rely on their own set of CODEC's, which are not installed in the OS.

When one needs to find the CODEC in a given Video file, I recommend MediaInfo, or G-Spot for the PC (and in that order), or Media Inspector for a Mac.

Just having a CODEC installed in the OS properly, is no guarantee that the same CODEC can be used to Encode to, or used by one's NLE, to edit. Those operations will depend on the exact CODEC, and then on the exact NLE being used.

If you can post the results from MediaInfo, or Media Inspector, then someone can very likely tell you whether PrE can edit that CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to Jacky.White

Jacky,

I am sorry, but did not see the URL for that AVI Video file. Was that uploaded to a site like DropBox, or to another. If you can point me to it, I will gladly run it through several file info utilities, and report back to you with the details.

If you are on a PC, then MediaInfo (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/), or G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot) are both free, easy to install, and are great at gathering the details of AV files, and especially the contained CODEC. I find that MediaInfo handles more formats and CODEC's a bit better, but both are quite good. I have each, plus a few more, as some do better with certain file types, than do others - one cannot usually have too many such utilities, if they work with AV files.

It is likely that all you will need, will be to have the necessary CODEC installed in the OS. OTOH, depending on the CODEC, it might be that your best course of action would be to convert to something that PrE can handle natively.

For instance, DivX/Xvid are popular CODEC's for streaming video. However, if they Import (not that likely), there are usually issues. If I am handed such files, I just convert those to a better CODEC for editing.

Good luck, and let us know more about your AVI files.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points