Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rendered Clip Properties 25.00i UFF

Jun 17, 2013 3:41 AM

Hi I am using a Trial version of Premier Pro CS6.  I tried some projects and results were excellent.  Now I trued a small project and ended up with a rendered sequence with properties 25.00i UFF.  This UFF is new, and as I used to use Vegas, I am still rendering to DVD on DVD Architect 5, which program crashes whenI import a UFF file.  With others no problem.  How can I eliminate this UFF thing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 4:43 AM   in reply to vicfene

UFF is Upper Field First.  SD recordings are generally Lower. Upper or Lower are characteristics of interlaced video, that's what the i means. DVDs can be either upper or lower fields first. If you want a LFF file, then you will have to put your HD sequence into a SD sequence and export from that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to Andrew_S

The results will not be pretty if the field order is changed. If the original footage is 25i UFF, then it should stay that way all the way to disk.  The best solution is to solve the crash in DVD Architect, or use a different authoring program, rather than alter the properties of the original media.

Encore comes free with Premiere Pro and should take the footage without issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:20 AM   in reply to vicfene

You don't say what the 3 files are. Usually there are two files for DVD encoding, m2v and ac3 (or wav). In these forums you will see this mentioned a lot. A single mpg file for DVD authoring is not recommended as the first thing the DVD program has to do is strip the mpg file apart into video and audio files, so it can recombine them in vob format. So better to start with the separate files, as things can get out of sync if you start with a single file. Its happened to me when I first started DVD burning many years ago.

When you export your sequence from Premiere via File > Export, you can select LFF in the video tab. Note Jim's comment though. Having said that, the process that I use for DVD export is, I drag the HD sequence (which is UFF) into a DV sequence (which is LFF), do the necessary re-scaling (1440 x 1080 to 720 x 576) and export from there. The end DVD is fine. No interlace or inter-field problems and yes I have checked it on a CRT monitor fed with a CVBS signal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to vicfene

The third file is metadata.

Even in DVD Architekt it is best to use two files, one for video and one for audio.

You can get one file; set the multiplexer on and you will get .mpg file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to vicfene

I render to H264

That's not the best option for DVD.  You'll want to use an MPEG2-DVD preset coming out of PP.  That will create the required files for authoring.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to vicfene

I didn't know you were creating BDs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to vicfene

No but in your initial post there is no mention of BD just DVD hence Jims remark in regard to H.264.

DVD requires mpeg2-dvd files.

BD will give you m4v.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to vicfene

But it there anything wrong in my way of working please?

Not 'wrong', per se, but less than ideal for sure.  Your DVDs are being transcoded twice, once to the H.264 for BD use and again to MPEG2 for DVD use.  Ideally you'd create the DVD straight from the source media, rather than a lossy export.

Export once as H.264 Blu-ray for BD authoring

Export again as MPEG2-DVD for DVD authoring.

This will provide better results for the DVD.  However, whether or not that improvement will be noticeable is another matter.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points