Skip navigation
JeffreyKubiak
Currently Being Moderated

Precise movement and drawing of objects in CS6

Jun 17, 2013 5:08 AM

Hi,

having used CS3 before, I've recently bought the CS6 package. I set all Preference settings they way they were in CS3 but I'm having difficulties moving a selected object in precise orthogonal (or diagonal) orientation. I'm used to seeing an "origin" alignment aid when I drag the object, usually at 0, 45, 90 or 180 degrees to its original position. This doesn't happen anymore in CS6, instead I get a myrad of alignment options to any other objects of anchors in sight, but not the important "origin" one. The same problem exists with the rotation tool - when I want to rotate an object quickly by 90 or 180 degrees, in CS3 I could just use the rotation tool and it would "click" into origin positions at 90 or 180 degrees. In CS6 I get an small window showing me the exact rotation degree, but to me it's pretty useless to know that I've just rotated the object by 179.6 degrees, but I can't get to the exact 180.

I am aware that I couold always use the Transformation option and enter a precise value of either moveemnt or rotation, but for simple actions it was much quicker to use a select and drag or select and rotate tool.

The pen tool is slightly better with the "origin" alignment aid, but still I get a lot more unwanted alignment options than before in CS3, distracting from quick and precise positioning of anchor points.

I do a lot of quite technical drawing, more akin to CAD than "free" illustration, but never had such a problem with Illustrator in CS3.

Is there a way to set up CS6 so it behaves the way I'm used to?

Best regards

Jeffrey Kubiak

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 5:33 AM   in reply to JeffreyKubiak

Jeffrey,

What about the Angles setting in Edit>Preferences>Smart Guides & Slices?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to JeffreyKubiak

See the documentation. SmartGuides behavior was changed/wrecked after CS3. Pressing Ctrl is supposed to invoke the earlier behavior.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to JeffreyKubiak

Just a general comment: Smart guides were changed and considerably improved. I don't think it's appropriate to say they "were wrecked".

There is much room for further improvements, but if one really thinks the new smart guides were wrecked, then please do compare (all) the capabilities of the old and the new smart guides.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to JeffreyKubiak

I don't use AI CS6 anymore. Nonetheless I wonder if other CS 6 users can confirm your observations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

I get the construction guides (movement guides?) in CS6 when pressing Cmd (on a Mac).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points