Skip navigation
Choky14
Currently Being Moderated

Lr5 lens profiles

Jun 17, 2013 6:14 AM

I have upgraded from lr4 to lr5 but lens profiles no longer recognises my canon 70-200 f2.8 is version 2with 2 x extender version 3 attached, is this a fault in the program as I cannotcfindctis in the list of lenses regards Mike Herrmann

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to Choky14

Is the attachment of the TC displayed in LR’s preview overlay (cycled with the I key) or not? 

Is the lens-profile you’re looking for one that came with LR or one you made, yourself, or downloaded with the Lens Profile Downloader?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to Choky14

I don’t see any lens profiles for canon lenses that include a TC, just the lenses themselves.  I have checked both LR 4.4 and LR 5.0, both inside LR and in the LR Lens Profiles folders.

Is this profile one you downloaded with the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader?   Are you on a Mac or PC? 

There are fewer profiles for JPGs than RAW files if that could be the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to Choky14

Here are the lens profiles available in LR4.3

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support-lightroo m-4.html

LR4.4 added a few more Canon lenses, but none of the profiles include a telecoverter. I checked the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader and there is a profile for a 70-200mm F2.8 with a 2x TC, but you have a Mark II lens and Mark III TC. You can use the downloader to install and try it:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5492

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to Choky14

Adobe has never shipped (i.e., in the installer) lens profiles for this zoom lens + teleconverter combination.

Lightroom should properly identify the lens and teleconverter by name (this information simply comes from the EXIF metadata in the JPEG and raw images).  But unless there is a profile for this lens on the system, Lr will not automatically find a profile and provide corrections when you check the "Enable Profile Corrections" box.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to Choky14

There is a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 + 2xTC profile available via the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader, but it does not mention being for the newer  70-200 Mark II lens or newer 2xTC Mark III, so I assume it is for the older one.  Ian Lyons created it, and he is a frequent contributor on Adobe forums, perhaps in the Camera Raw forum rather than the LR forum, but I’m not sure, so you might be able to PM him and see what version of lens and TC the profile is for.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to Choky14

The camera model shouldn’t make a difference except that if the profile is made on a crop-frame sensor camera then it cannot be used on a full-frame sensor camera, but a full-frame-sensor camera lens profile can be used on a crop-frame-sensor camera.  If the profile was created on a 5D.2 and you have a 5D.3 then it should be ok because both are full-frame-sensor cameras.  The corrections in a lens-profile are independent of the sensor resolution and the only thing that matters is the extent of the lens-circle the profile covers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Make sure you download both the Raw and JPEG profiles. The 70-200mm F2.8 IS MKI and MKII lenses have very similar vignetting and distortion. I wouldn't expect to see a much difference between the MKII and MKIII 2x TC. Both have very slight barrel distortion, which works to reduce distortion with this lens over most of its focal length.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points