Skip navigation
Mayaninn
Currently Being Moderated

How do I automatically populate a template with images?

Jun 17, 2013 10:30 AM

Tags: #template #batch #place #actions #automate #populate #multiple_images

populate-template.jpg

Hello, everyone!

I have more than 2,000 QR codes that I need to insert into this template for printing. I am hoping that there is an automated way to do this so I don't need to resize and place each QR code image by hand.

Is there a batch command or action of some kind that can perform this task for me?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to Mayaninn

Is it obligatory to do that task in Illustrator?

If not, you may want to look at the Data Merge capabilities in InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to Mayaninn

There's also a script in the sample folder in ID called ImageCatalog.jsx which could be used for what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 3:51 PM   in reply to Mayaninn

I would definitely agree with the suggestions of using InDesign for this, it'll be a lot easier.  I would guess the hardest part is going to be the file names for each QR code.  Do you have them cataloged by chance?

Do you have Excel handy?  Create a new book and for the header put something along the lines of @QRCode (The @ symbol is used to indicate a graphic placement).  Then list all the QR codes in that column, save it as a CSV file.  In InDesign create a Rectange Frame the size you need (on the toolbar the rectangle with the X through it.  Open Data Merge (Window, Utilities, Data Merge).  Select the Source Data in the main window it will show the available merge.  The QRCode should show up with a little Mountain Icon indicating an image placement.  Click the rectangle you drew then click on the data field you created.  It should show up with << >> marks before and after it.  Then just click the Preview check to view them. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points