Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

saving ID CS6 .indd to idml crashes Indesign or generates an IDL that crashes

Jun 17, 2013 10:36 AM

Tags: #indd #idml_export

I am getting mad.

I have made a lot of modifications on a bunch of indesign files. I imported them from ID 5.5 in C66, added structure and tags, saved as INDD correctly. On some files, saving (file -> save as IDML) crashes ID or generates an IDML that crashes ID CS6. If loaded on CS5.5, the IDML displays the last graphic element it loaded and crashes.

What drives me nuts is the fact that no log of error give me any clues of what I could look at.

anyone having similar problems?

tx

marco

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to vmmeli

I've never had that problem, but I rarely write an IDML via Save As...

If I was experiencing your problem, I'd try exporting to IDML, if for no other reason that to see if it produces the same problem.

Since it's not all files, there may be something about the problematic ones on which the Save As routine is choking.

And of course, to get the most comprehensive help, you should always mention which OS and version of ID you're running.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to John Mensinger

Save as and export are identical processes.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 11:24 AM   in reply to vmmeli

It's not unheard of to have trouble with files from older versions opened directly into newer versions since CS5. I think it's probably restricted to files that have some sort of minor problems to start, but there's no way I kno of to tell. Best policy is to export the old files to .idml in the orignal version and open that inthe new version for editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to vmmeli

Best I can offer is export any legacy file to .idml from the original and edit that if possible, if not possible next best is to export to .idml from the current state and continue from that. If that crashes, you're probably hosed.

If it will cost more than a coupel hundred to recreate from backup or whatever, check out the markzware recovery service: Bad InDesign or Quark File Recovery Submission Form (or if you own Quark Xpress as well you can do the same thing in house by purchasing both ID2Q and Q2ID which becomes cost-effective after about two recoveries). There's also a Windows-only tool (Adobe Community: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)) that I've never managed to recover a file with, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth trying.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points