Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Iphone vid transfer

Jun 17, 2013 11:18 AM

selecting videos for new project. certain files from the Iphone4s give error msg. some do not. am i missing something here?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1226757 - may be the same iphone 5 bug

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

I think that message thread said to use Apple's Quicktime Pro to edit that Apple video

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

pizzakid13

Have you said yet what version of Premiere Elements that you are using and on what operating system it is running?

What did you set as the project preset and what else can you tell us about the video and audio properties and duration of your video other than it is from the iPhone 4S. And, how are you trying to import it into Premiere Elements?

If you are using Premiere Elements 11, are you connecting your iPhone 4S to the computer Premiere Elements via Premiere Elements' Add Media/Videos from Flip or Cameras/Video Importer or other? If you are going the Video Importer route, have you tried saving your iPhone 4S video to the computer hard drive and then importing them into Premiere Elements (if 11) with Add Media/Files and Folders? If so, did you still get the same importer error?

Was a Bluetooth connection involved in the transfer of your videos to the computer and/or Premiere Elements?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

pizzakid13

From the information that I have read about your iPhone 4S, you are not recording 1280 x 720 @ 30 progressive frames per second. So, please confirm. Those settings that you found in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General are not correct for this iPhone 4S footage which is said to be 1080p30, not 720p30. On what did you base your 720p30 settings for the project preset? I think that the iPhone 4 has 720p30?

Correcting the project preset may or may not be the answer to your problem, but it does need to be ruled in or out.

If you do indeed have iPhone 4S with its 1080p30 footage and Premiere Elements 11 Windows then

a. Open a new project and go immediately to the File Menu/New/Project. In the new project dialog that opens, set the project preset for:

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Preset on this project" before you exit the new project dialog.

b. Then back in the Premiere Elements 11 workspace, import you video using Premiere Elements 11's Add Media to get the video into Project Assets and from there to the Timeline Expert view.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

pizzakid13

Can you pick up on any difference(s)  between the iPhone files that are associated with an error message and the one that is not?

Is it always the same video file that gives the error? In other words, can you take that problem video into another project and it is OK, while one of the other videos that was OK suddenly is not OK?

Did you say anywhere what this error message is that you are getting with some of these iPhone videos?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

pizzakid13

What was the breakdown of the good and the bad...

Total iPhone clips involved vs how many good how many bad in Premiere Elements

Total iPod clips invovled vs how many good how many bad in Premiere Elements

For each of the iPhone and iPod videos, did the bad fall into any particular categories as to duration, frame size, format?

We should be able to do a one on one comparison with the iPod since I do have an iPod Touch 4th generation....no iPhone however. What version iPod do you have?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to pizzakid13

Pizzakid,

With a PC and PrE 11, the AVCHD should be fine. Your CPU will come into play, but will do so, with either format, as both use the H.264 CODEC. However, either should work well.

Now, others might like the MP4 format, so I'd take their comments into consideration, before you comit hours of video to one format vs the other.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to pizzakid13

pizzakid13

From what I have read of your Panasonic FZ60, the sensor captures 30p or 25p then then converts that to the choices offered. In the case an NTSC camera set, 1920 x 1080, @ 30/29.97 interlaced frames per second (aka 60i where that represents 60 fields per second) or 60 progressive frames per second or 30 progressive frames per second.

Premiere Elements 11 has project presets to cover you

AVCHD HD1080p60

AVCHD Full HD1080i30.

DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30

What do you intend for the export? If it is NTSC DVD-VIDEO or Blu-ray Disc Format, whatever the import... for disc export, you will be at the standard, that is, @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

pizzakid13

All that I was trying to point out is that whether you start with AVCHD 1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second or 1920 x 1080 @ 30/29.97 interlaced frames per second or 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second and take the Timeline to burn to DVD Widescreen, you are going a frame rate of 29.97 interlaced frames per second (if you have an NTSC setup) and 25 interlaced frames per second (if you have a PAL setup).

On the frame size side of things, DVD-VIDEO standard 4:3 and DVD-VIDEO standard widescreen 16:9 have the same frame size (720 x 480 for NTSC setup; and, 720 x 576 for PAL setup). The difference between the standard and standard widescreen is that the standard widescreen is encoded with a 16:9 flag for the player to recognize for in that stretching for the display after encoding.

DVD-VIDEO is DVD-VIDEO no matter how great the resolution of your video or photos or whatever the frame rate is.

Some of those high speed movies are difficult to edit. Any chance you can get a sample of each from the sales people and see which handles best for you in your video editor?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

pizzakid13

No bug with the max time for when you make the motion buttons of the scene buttons.

who's gonna want to hear only 4 seconds of music or see 4 seconds of video?

The disc menus are navigation assets for the project, not the major event. They do not disappear after the max time, they

just repeat. These are not the main event. The movie is.

You ask

anybody use other software for home movies that you like better?

No. And I do not work for Adobe nor am I affiliated with it in any way. I write my personal opinion freely on Premiere Elements workflows.

We are pleased that you found tools for getting your project accomplished successful. If you revisit Premiere Elements 11 to edit/export your videos, there are plenty of Premiere Elements users here, including myself, who will continue to work with you to resolve you particular issue.

Thanks for the update.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

the 4.49 second limit on the motion menus is so retarded i cant believe it. that has to be a bug because why even bother? who's gonna want to hear only 4 seconds of music or see 4 seconds of video?

The maximum Duration for Motion Menus is actually ~ 30 sec., so I am not sure where that 4:49 sec. is coming from.

While I have Magix MovieEdit Pro and Cyberlink PowerDirector (both older versions now), I use Premiere about 99% of the time.

Some folk sing the praises of Sony's Vegas (IIRC, there are two versions?), but I have never used it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

You might want to re-consider your post 23 information relating to "4.49 second limit"?

The maximum duration for video audio backgrounds in the disc menus customization area is 30 sec. Always has been.

The maximum duration for motion buttons created in place of stationary scene buttons is that about 5 second limit. Always has been.

Some want more on both counts.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I am sorry, but do not see anything to reconsider. I stated:

The maximum Duration for Motion Menus is actually ~ 30 sec., so I am not sure where that 4:49 sec. is coming from.

[Emphasis added by me.]

The "4:49 sec." Duration came from the OP, and not from me. If you look, I stated that the Duration was "~ 30 sec."

Any music/audio attached to a Motion Menu will also have that ~ 30 sec. limitation.

Is that not what you are saying?

I mentioned the "Motion Menu" Duration, and not the Duration of any Motion Buttons, which are shorter.

You have me very confused here - sorry.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

I can see motion video background for a menu (max duration 30 sec) in disc customization and I can see audio insertion for background for a menu (max duration 30 sec) in disc customization, but, when I saw your "motion menus" notation, I presumed that was your shorthand for motion buttons for the scene selection page(s). And, when you wrote:

so I am not sure where that 4:49 sec. is coming from.

I did not believe you were talking about a difference of 4:29 vs 4:49 second for motion buttons and you were nowhere near motion buttons. I did not pick up on Motion Menus as video used instead of stiils for a video background. Sorry.

MotionMenu.JPG

I have not had time to confirm that exact value for the max motion button duration. I have just put about 5 seconds.

I will dig out the exact value if you need it.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

pizzakid13

Thanks for the update.

Hope I am OK with you on the details.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 8:21 PM   in reply to pizzakid13

pizzakid13

Each one of those images in the scene buttons of the scene selection page trace back to what is at the location of the corresponding scene marker on the Timeline.

If you want a still of that image, then just uncheck the Motion Button option in the Menu Marker dialog for that particular scene marker.

The Menu Marker dialog does offer some flexibility without having to move the actual marker. See Thumbnail Offset for what you want to see in the scene thumbnail.

This is my take on this....By using the Thumbnail Offset, all you are doing is changing what is to appear within the scene thumbnail. You are not changing the location of the scene marker on the Timeline. So even though your scene thumbnail on the scene selection page shows the offset view, the scene button selected with the TV remote will start at the same place which will display differently than what you see in the scene thumbnail. Did I make that understandable. I will re-write if I lost you in the words.

Please review that as I look over the rest of your last post to see if I left anything out of this reply.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 8:30 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

pizzakid13

You should be able to click the disc menus window, see a bounding box around your video or still background replacement, and move it around to "a certain degree" as well as resize with the bounding box handles.

I am going to see if I can find my Premiere Elements 2. I do not remember than ever offering motion buttons at 30 seconds. The 30 seconds has always been in the domain of the video and audio replacement backgrounds.

Let me see.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

No, by "Motion Menu" (the common term for an authored Menu, that has animation and/or Audio in the background), I meant the Duration of that Menu, before Looping. Sorry for any confusion.

The animation of the Buttons' thumbnails is another matter, and has its own limitations.

As PizzaKid was mentioning having a "song" with an ~ 4:43 sec. Duration, I referred to the Duration of the actual Menu, with the "Motion" asset of Audio. Thumbnails do not have Audio attached to them. If they did, imagine what a Scene Selection Menu, with six thumbnails would sound like.

While there are instances, where I would like to have a longer Duration for a Menu's background, whether animation, or Audio, I anticipate my viewers would make a selection fairly quickly. Even in Encore, which does not impose the same limitations, as PrE does, I seldom will use a Duration of over, say 45 sec., and then the Menu Loops. I use Audio that has repetition, especially as I will often use the same Audio for a Main Menu, and then for a Scene Selection Menu. As the Audio cannot span multiple Menus, I want it seem as though it does, and the proper selection of the music helps me greatly. If one were critically listening, they would likely pick up that while the Audio is the same on all Menus, it does not span - it just sounds like it does. In my SmartSound library, I have picked out maybe a dozen pieces, that fill the bill. Also, as I am not trying to "feature" the Audio, but only provide a background "bed," I attenuate that Audio by a good -6dB. All of my Menu Audio is instrumental only - no vocals. My intent is to have a subtle musical ambiance, and one that the viewer is not acutely aware of. For that purpose, the ~ 30 sec. Duration is not a limitation (as Encore's longer allowed Duration is seldom used up - only about 40 sec. ever).

As for thumbnails (Video in the display area of the Buttons), they are not meant to be mini-movies, but just something to give the viewer what the Video is, that the Button leads to - a quick preview, so having those Loop at a much shorter Duration is not a problem, as I see it.

Whenever I need to exceed the limitations in PrE, I just use a full-featured authoring app. and create a totally different type of Menu - some are just Videos, that appear to be Menus, but are not - though that Video might transition into the "real" Menu, but looks the same. I'll do this, when I want it to appear that the Buttons "fly in," from off-screen. Until the transition (which should appear seamless to viewer), the Buttons are not real, but do mimic those that will soon appear. I keep that part very, very short, so that the viewer is not trying to make selections, until the real Menu comes on screen. Obviously, a Play First Video is not a possibility in PrE directly, so I must look beyond it, to achieve my intent.

If I do need for those animated Buttons to be real Buttons, and actionable, during the animation, then I create the whole Menu in Adobe After Effects, where one has infinite control over real Buttons in an animation, but that is not normally required if one uses quick editing.

With a full-featured authoring app., one can create Menus, that appear to break from the rules set forth by the DVD specifications - they do not, as they must adhere to the DVD specs., but to the viewer, their is an illusion that they do go beyond what is allowed. This is often achieved by duplicates of the Menus, that seamlessly transition between a Video, and a real Menu.

There is a lot that can be done with other programs, beyond PrE. However, with its authoring limitations, I feel that PrE allows about 95% of all users to get a nice Menu set, with easy navigation - when one wishes to push the envelope, beyond what PrE can do, then a program, like Sony's DVD Architect can be so very useful. Most users, however, never need to go beyond what PrE is capable of doing.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points