Skip navigation
tanky321
Currently Being Moderated

Real time frequency analysis of 4 Mono inputs?

Jun 17, 2013 1:48 PM

Im trying to evaluate Audition for a particular project in which I am acquiring ultrasonic signals. I am using 4 ultrasonic microphones and a Roland Octa-Capture as my USB capture device. It is very important that I am able to see some type of frequency analysis in real time, since I cant hear the signal. The only current way I have been able to do a real time frequency analysis is to set each track as a monitor input, but the problem is that my frequency analysis is a composite of all 4 channels, which isnt really helpful. Is it possible to create a real-time frequency analysis of these 4 signals?

Thanks!

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 18, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to tanky321

Sorry - haven't had a chance to look yet. I have a sneaky feeling that this may work better in CC than CS6, but I'd have to confirm that. I think that what should happen (if I've got it right) is that you should get four overlays on the same background - but if you want it to run in real time, you'll have to use a relatively small FFT anyway, so the resolution won't be that wonderful.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

But since it is for checking ultrasonic frequencies a small FFT shouldn't be a problem should it?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 18, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to ryclark

ryclark wrote:

But since it is for checking ultrasonic frequencies a small FFT shouldn't be a problem should it?

I think it might be... smaller numbers, lower resolution; it's the number of slices you take of the entire spectrum.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to tanky321

But you will see the waveform appear on the tracks as you record if audio is there. As well, of course, as the track meters wiggling about.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 19, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to tanky321

I'm going to do a little experiment later - there may be another way around this..

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points