Skip navigation
dsketch213
Currently Being Moderated

Combining Lines From 2 to 1

Jun 17, 2013 3:07 PM

Tags: #printing #combine #group #laser #join #illistrator #stencil #epilog #zing #clobber

Hey Everyone!

I am stuck and could use some advise on what to do to resolve this issue. I have a stencil for Thermal Pads and I need to print it from an epilog zing printer. There are outlines of boxes, some with curved edges and some without. The boxes orinially started with spacing between them, but we need to illiminate the spacing so that we can fit more stenciles on one piece of material. The problem is that when I print the stencil the laser will cut out edges that touch twice, which causes the material to burn from the laser. Is there a way to combine these lines in a way that isn't just grouping or joining them as the laser will still recognize two lines not just one as it appears to look like once joined. Below are screen shots of what I am working with.

stencil-example.jpg

Thanks for your time and assistance!

Dustin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 3:56 PM   in reply to dsketch213

Are the lines infact exactly on top of one another?  Down to the 10,000th placement (4th decimal point)?

Have you tried create a compound path of the various lines into one or is this the method you are trying to use that causes the double cuts?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 4:44 PM   in reply to dsketch213

Dustin,

Maybe the simplest way would be to use the Direct Selection Tool to select the redundant path segments and then delete them; for each of them.

You may click on the stroke of a free segment first to select the right path if the segment in question is underneath another path.

In the top row you may delete the leftmost straight segments of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, label, then in the second row you may delete the leftmost and top straight segments of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, label, and so on downwards.

For the fifth column you will need to Add Anchor Points where the sides meet the sides of the fourth column, and the sixth column for the top four, so that you can delete the straight segments between the rounded corners and still have the gaps cut inthe right way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to dsketch213

Assuming the edges are truly coincident:

1. Set the LivePaint tool to paint strokes.

2. Set the current stroke to a color other than that which applied to the paths.

3. Select All.

4. LivePaint Tool: DoubleClick (or TripleClick) one of the edges. That turns the selection into a LivePaint Group and strokes all adjoining edges with the current stroke color.

5. Expand the LivePaint Group.

You should now have individual paths, some open and some closed, with no redundant coincident segments.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points