Skip navigation
seti123
Currently Being Moderated

Pictures Viewed on Sd card

Jun 17, 2013 3:50 PM

Tags: #import #lightroom_4 #nikon_d3100

Why do my pictures look so much better when viewed while still on the sd card?  Why do they lose all their color and sharpness once they are imported? Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to seti123

That does not make sense unless you are somehow making copies.

How are you getting the photos from the card to the computer?  What steps?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to seti123

This is a simplified explaination.

I expect the files you are refering to are raw files.

When you put the card into the computer slot what you are first seeing is the jpeg thumbnail created by your camera firmware which has been rendered with all the settings you have choosen in the camera before taking the shot.

The change you are seeing when the import process begins is Lightroom using its own default processes and profile created for your camera to process the raw file data. The settings you have choosen in your camera like special look, sharpening, noise reduction, saturation etc are propritory information which Lightroom does not use it is only ued by your camera manufacturers software and in camera firmware. Lightroom only uses your exposure and white balance settings from your camera and its own default profiles to create the initial image. You then are expected to create your own presets and other adjustments with the tools available in LIghtroom. You are the final chef making your own taste to the raw data.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 4:42 PM   in reply to seti123

Quote "It won't let me choose add."

If it did it would add the info about the images into the catalog and the original files remain on the card. When you remove the card from the computer Lightroom will no longer have access to the original image for you to make adjustments.

I would suggest that you view the free tutorials available at the site in the link below. Lightroom is not Photoshop so it will require a defferent thought process.

http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points