Skip navigation
beldave
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 Not Enough Memory error

Jun 17, 2013 5:44 PM

Tags: #photoshop #cs6 #notenoughmemory

Just installed CS6 about a month ago and at different points of taxing the program and my system and on various tools or events in Photoshop, I get an error that tells me there is not enough ram to complete the task.

I've read a few other folks are having this issue - but the answer for them is usually a 32-bit/low amount of memory to begin with. 

I'm using CS6 Extended 64-bit and my comp specs are:

Windows 7 Pro

16 gigs of DDR3 memory

Intel i-7 second gen chip

ATI Radeon 5500 with 2 gigs onboard memory

And all of my stuff is up to date - including PS.  I've allocated 75% of the system memory to PS in the preferences. 

Thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 5:52 PM   in reply to beldave

Without knowing exactly what you are doing when running into the error it is hard to say.  But the memory error may not necessarily be ram.  It could be insufficient scratch disk space, or hd space, or the process just gets bogged down and fills up buffers.

When it happens again take note of what you have just been doing.  If you have a lot of layers and large numbers of history states it can eat up perhaps more than 100 gigs of scratch disk.

You only need 2 gigs allocated to the OS so you can probably up your percentage a little.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 6:12 PM   in reply to beldave

Ideally you want either a SSD with all the programs on it, or a separate HD for scratch.  You only have one read/write head so if it has to write a scratch file and then read a program file you can see the problem.  It gets frazzled.

A lot of issues reolve around the graphics card and driver, so make sure that is up to date.  Check makers website.  ATI catalyst 13.4 seems stable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:05 PM   in reply to beldave

Keep in mind the major resource change from CS5 to CS6 was additional strain on the graphics card.  Could not find your card on this list http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php 

Generally you want a card to rank near 1000.  Over that you probably pay more for card than you get in performace. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:24 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

…find your card on this list http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php 

Generally you want a card to rank near 1000.  Over that you probably pay more for card than you get in performace. 

Thanks, Curt Y.  Most helpful post—though only one of the many you have offered throughout the years.

(I'm happy because the card arriving tomorrow for my machinescored 1,681.  )

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:39 PM   in reply to station_two

Wow!  Thanks for the compliment, especially from one that knows a lot more than I. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points