Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why can't I work with ColdFusion documents?

Jun 18, 2013 12:27 AM

Tags: #dreamweaver #cc

Um... just updated and went to open some ColdFusion files I normally work with but can't open them at all. They are grayed out. And there is no longer a ColdFusion option in the "New" panel. And in preferences you cannot select ColdFusion as the default document type.

Did I just miss where it is?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 1:59 AM   in reply to GAlbers56

Seems that ColdFusion support is removed in Dreamweaver CC and later

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WScbb6b82af5544594822 510a94ae8d65-7874a.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:06 AM   in reply to John Waller

John Waller wrote:

Seems that ColdFusion support is removed in Dreamweaver CC and later

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WScbb6b82af5544594822 510a94ae8d65-7874a.html

lol seems they are doing their very best to alienate customers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to GAlbers56

UNBELIEVABLE!

What the hell is happening at Adobe?  I really wish there was a comprehensive alternative to Adobe at this point. I'm a long time CF developer and realy to throw in the towel.  Dreamweaver CC won't render any of my page in Live view either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to GAlbers56

I would add that this points to a much bigger issue at Adobe, especially the Coldfusion team. There appears to be no coordination, planning, or transparency on some very large issues. Does anyone at Adobe actually use Coldfusion? It would seem not.

One of the supposed advantages of Coldfusion is the integration with Adobe technologies, but clearly this isn't something Adobe actually considers.  It is absolutely unforgivable that they would release Dreamweaver with no CF support.

Wonder why so many people think the CF is a dead or dying platform? Hmm… wonder how that debate keeps re-appearing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to GAlbers56

I had a live chat too, also told it was a depreciated feature so its clearly a scripted response.  Then I was told directly to buy CF Builder to continue developing in Coldfusion.  So clearly they want to force you to use that rather then DW.  Which sucks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to GAlbers56

WOW. As a CF person from the Macromedia days I am shocked Adobe has removed CF support in DW CC. That is just plain stupid. I just begrudgingly moved to CC because it felt like I had no other option since everything is going CC and now you remove CF support (your own language) from your main development product? I don't want to have to buy a seperate product to work with CF and use DW CC to do my layout work. If support for CF doesn't get put back into then I will be dropping CC all together and moving to alternative options such as Gimp and Eclipse. VERY disappointed long time customer!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to GAlbers56

Crazy.  This is the end for us and Adobe ColdFusion.  We will be cancelling our Adobe subscriptions for our entire team. Really poor decision to alienate the very core of your development population.

S.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:39 PM   in reply to GAlbers56

Adobe, I'm not sure what is up with you these days. You've killed the visual designer in the latest version of FlashBuilder (4.7) that's available via Creative Cloud, and removed access to FB 4.6 as well to your CC customers. You've now killed a design tool for CF coders. You will be killing access to Fireworks sometime in the next 12 months for Creative Cloud customers. What's next? You've got a large, loyal base of developers that have worked with your software and languages for many years.  You're doing a great job of alientating that base over the last 12 months. My suggestion: just go ahead and get it over, instead of doing this slow bleed. Kill Flash. Kill CF. Just be done with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to jbliss0J6c

jbliss0j6c - thanks but that did not work for me. Dreamweaver CC tells me I can't select it as an external editor...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to BD Hokie

You may want to post that here to see if you can get more help...?

http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/thread.cfm/threadid:64695

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to jbliss0J6c

Hi all,

Can you check out this document and let us know if you still need help?

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/open-coldfusion-drea mweaver-cc.html

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:26 PM   in reply to GAlbers56

My two cents on the dilemma... well, my solution anyway:

http://trendecide.com/entry/adobe-cc-deprecated-me

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to Mozano

Great Post Rick. My big disagreement is that Dreamweaver isn't the wrong tool for the job but rather one of the tools needed by many (albeit not all) developers.

You make great points, especially that CFB should now be included in the CC subscription. Given the price and incredible change in workflow required, that's the least that should happen.

Still, this has to indicate that Adobe is deprecating Coldfusion itself. Not only did they remove it from the leading website design tool that they own, they did it (from what I can tell) in relative secrecy. So either they knew it would cause a big backlash or they really do not ever use Coldfusion themselves, or…???

I am willing to be convinced there's some big misunderstanding, but having to spend another $300 on another software and not being able to incorporate CF in Dreamweaver is beyond maddening. It's a reason to consider a new direction.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to BD Hokie

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to jbliss0J6c

That process (associating the .cfm files in the OS) didn't seem to have any impact. However, I am back working on my iMac (where I did not yet try that trick) and now some CF pages are displaying where they definitely did not yesterday. Some pages still are not rendering in DW CC but are okay in CS 6. (see attached screenshot) - others are working. So better today, but still missing many integration features with CF.

Also, I still can not open .cfm files in DW CC unless I open it from the OS finder. If I try to open them via DW's file browser window, it goes to CS6 unless you manually right-click and do an "open with...".

DWsample.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 5:24 PM   in reply to GAlbers56

If you are looking for a free CF application, there is CF Builder Express:

http://www.adobe.com/go/trycoldfusionbuilder

Gives you all features for 60 days, then reverts to Express version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to GAlbers56

I sincerely hope that someone can offer me a solution to this latest (and quite frankly greatest hiccup in the world of coldfusion for me). I NEVER post on blogs, forums or otherwise as I can usually find what I need to know if I look around but this is not the case. I was anxiously awaiting the new cc for dreamweaver since the purported tools that would make my development much more integrated with the latest methods only to discover this morning that there was absolutely no coldfusion "anything" in the program. I thought it was the way I set up the panels. But nope...

Now I installed cfbuilder. ok, fine it will cover all of the "programming" part of coldfusion and it looks like it will do that better. I get that.

BUT, how exactly do you take the "ugly" stuff that cfbuilder will help me build and actually turn it into a website that the latest trends require? I understand that I can open the file in dreamweaver and make it "pretty" but the real issue is that so much of the time the "application" that I am building is very much a part of the "website" that I am building - ok, ALL the time. What exactly is the commonly accepted workflow that will make this whole thing flow properly without having to switch between completely different applications all the time.

My issue is that maybe I don't understand that cf is a website language for displaying on web browsers, or am I wrong for the past 10 years...

Yes, I develop "applications" that are not pretty sometimes for the customer that needs a program made for them custom, but that is so rare that it does not accompany a website that holds it all.

How is this accomplished? I know I ramble and I hope I got my point across. Can you help me with finding a solution that will allow me to continue to use coldfusion in beautiful css and jquery websites as my customers have come to expect.

Please reply?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to cfwiz

Lots of us feeling the exact same way! I don't want to switch back and forth between applications to get my work done. I want ONE application I can develop in and that used to be DreamWeaver but not anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to Hedge

This is such a shame. You can get coldfusion code completion in DW CC using the dmxzone extension, however you can only use code view. I was kind of excited about some of the new css and adaptive tools in DW CC but since I work with CF quite a bit I'm less so. Sure you can use the free version of CF Builder, and use DW to do the layout and front end work. Problem is, once you have cf code in the page with a .cfm extension you can only work in code view. I can't find a way to  get .cfm pages to display in Live View.

As a result my workflow has changed the last few days. I've been using Sublime Text and Live Reload. If I'm working with a cfc I use CF Builder, which prior to DW CC I had only tinkered with. It's great for working with CF code. For me DW is headed for the dustbin I'm afraid. Even though I mainly worked in code view, design view and live view were quite handy.

I don't care about the server extensions in DW, however I do care about CF code completion and the ability to view CF in live and design view. It's a total dealbreaker for me. In fact I haven't opened DW in 2 days. I used to use it hours on end daily.

Sure hope Adobe is listening here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to jeffgtr2

I will say one nice thing about CC is we can cancel at anytime. We didn't have to make inventment for what would have been CS 7 only to find out these problems with DW and cfm not playing nice together. So thanks for that out Adobe. I too have been playing with other editors now to find something I like to replace DW where as before I was happy to keep pluging along in DW and would not have even bothered to look for another option. As soon as I get comfortable with another UI I am afraid I will be parting ways with Adobe. Unless of course they decide to change thier cfm hating ways

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 4:41 AM   in reply to Preran

The issue isn't opening CF files from the OS, but Dreamweaver CC being unable to show .cfm files in either Design or Live view. Just to be sure, I verified I've associated .cfm files as described…same issue. Dreamweaver can not display .cfm files.

Thanks,

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to BD Hokie

When I did the .cfm association the files opened on click within the files panel.  The file itself opened the same as it always did on previous versions.  I also installed the deprecated server behaviours as per a thread I found online somewhere.  Even live view works.  My main concern is not all of the above.  The main concern is that Adobe just dropped their own product without notice or otherwise.  That is scary.  When will the announcement come that coldfusion is dead?  This is by far without exception the only language that is easy to use and does absolutely everything required for almost any db type use.  Yes, I know there are others but cf has so much functionality with really fast coding time.  I don’t want to get into some battle with php programmers here.  I actually invested money and time with coldfusion beginning over 12 years ago and never started using PHP just because it is “free” rather because it is a much code heavy language that can easily be “decoded” just by reading the code.  Yes, it costs money….so does life but we pay.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 8:52 PM   in reply to cfwiz

CFwiz- I'm curious how you did the .cfm association. When I do it (on a Mac) it refuses to allow it and opens CS6 in instead.

Thank you,

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 9:09 PM   in reply to BD Hokie

Edit>Preferences>File Types / Editors

Then in the box for extensions either select .cfm or click the + to add .cfm and then under editor select Dreamweaver and make primary or click the + to add Dreamweaver

That’s it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 4:30 AM   in reply to cfwiz

Strange. I can't do that. It refuses to allow me to add DW CC as an editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 6:01 AM   in reply to cfwiz

I'm on OSX btw.

Here are the steps I took to be able to edit .cfm in DW CC and have it display in Design and Live view.

1) Go here and install the extension http://www.dmxzone.com/go/21842/enable-server-behaviors-and-data-bindi ngs-panel-support-for-dreamweaver-cc

2) Preferences / File Types - Editors  Add .cfm in Extensions. Make sure .cfm is NOT in the list for "Open in code view"

I have noticed .cfm files are slow to open, may have something to do with the extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to jeffgtr2

Thanks for the help. Might uninstall and re-install with these steps to see if that helps. Not sure what else is different!

Has anyone seen any official comment or feedback from Adobe on these issues, other than a couple of "tips"?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to BD Hokie

As far as an official response the closest I've found are some comments on Raymond Camdens blog. http://www.raymondcamden.com/index.cfm/2013/6/18/Creative-Cloud-is-Her e#comments

I absolutely do not care about server behaviors in DW but I do care about code completion and the ability to use the css and adaptive features on .cfm documents. I've read comments that Adobe intended DW to be for front end work and CFBuilder for backend. Problem with this is that it's common to have to go back to DW after adding CF to clean up and do further front end editing. To eliminate that capability is very short sighted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to GAlbers56

Wake Up Adobe!!!!

You can clearly see that there is a big community of CF Developers who many of us have built entire businesses on Coldfusion and depend on it! Not being able to open a .cfm file from a product that is your own on a language that is your own is a shame. I am sure that 90% of developers know how to change a file association to an extension and can figure out the workaround, that is not the issue I think. The real issue is that you are putting out on the market a software that many developers work on daily basis that suddenly can not even create or open files from your same company. When it is something that can easily be included in the core configuration of the software.

The other important question is> What is next? Is Coldfusion dead?

I think Adobe still at this point has enough time to rethink their strategy and make us all CF developers happy again by AT LEAST not underestimating and forgetting the Coldfusion presence on their own aplications.

One of the main reasons for us to get the coldfusion server was because it promises the compatibility and ease of use with the rest of the Adobe family, we are and have been willing to pay for the server and not move to a free platform like php because we are Adobe believers, but this in my opinion speaks VERY bad about Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to pixculim

I totally agree.  Why did they do this in secret?  That only means that they did not want to mess up their stocks and they are planning an exit.  I guess the freeware world wins.  Adobe – Shame on you.  It clearly states on the CC pages that Adobe values the feedback of the community but why has Adobe not even commented once on any of this?  I am willing to bet that they don’t even read this and just don’t care what people think.  It is obvious.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to pixculim

One more thing, at least Adobe should include the Coldfusion builder on the Creative Cloud membership, I just visited the Adobe website and found out that I now have to pay additional 100+ dlls to get a copy of Coldfusion builder 2 , plus my CC subscription.

That is nuts!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to pixculim

I don’t think that is necessary.  The paid version only gets you debugging.  You don’t need that as you can always debug using the testing server output and other methods such as cfdump etc.  Therefore, it looks like it is free.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to pixculim

Not to be defending Adobe here, but if you let the trial expire for CF Builder 2 it goes into "Express" mode which is free. Actually more functionality in Express mode than DW6 had. I think it should be included in CC but the free version does work well once you get used to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to pixculim

> why has Adobe not even commented once on any of this? 

Three of them did here: http://www.raymondcamden.com/index.cfm/2013/6/18/Creative-Cloud-is-Her e#comments

> I now have to pay additional 100+ dlls to get a copy of Coldfusion builder 2

Only if you require functionality in the non-free version. Otherwise, cost is $0.

I agree that Adobe could have been more forthcoming ahead of this release. However, your options seem clear to me:

- Enjoy ACF10, ACF11, etc and learn how to use the excellent CFB or another IDE. (This is what I'm doing.)

- Learn PHP and continue using DW.

Again, please read comments from Adobe employees, Raymond Camden, Ben Forta, and Alejandro Gutierrez, product manager for Dreamweaver, here: http://www.raymondcamden.com/index.cfm/2013/6/18/Creative-Cloud-is-Her e#comments

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points