Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

WHY is Object-level undo deprecated in Flash CC?

Jun 18, 2013 1:29 AM

Tags: #object #level #undo

Note:  (Flash Professional CC only) Object-level undo is deprecated and is unavailable with Flash Pro CC.

Why??? It was an essential feature! Removing it forces me to work completely differently!

Damn, juste because of that I have to stay on Flash CS6. Very bad job, Adobe!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to BenjaminParis

Can you explain what you mean by object level undo?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 2:18 AM   in reply to BenjaminParis

If that is the case. I'm simply not going to be using flash CC and sticking to CS6. :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 6:19 PM   in reply to BenjaminParis

Agreed. Object level undo has always been one of the things I loved about Flash.  I always wondered why other programs didn't do it that way.  It made way more sense.

I'm not going to pile on Adobe here, just would like to see it back as a preferences option.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:28 AM   in reply to BenjaminParis

Adobe says: "Object-level undo is deprecated and is unavailable with Flash Pro CC."

For me Flash without OLU is NO-GO!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to BenjaminParis

I already did, but Adobe doesn't listen to the users.

never!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to cocoua

Just need to mention Adobe totally listens to their users. They really really do. I have seen it time and time again first hand.

That said I know you're now asking yourself "Then why don't they add features I want?! Why are they removing features I do want?!"

Adobe has rewritten the very core, the foundation if you will, of Flash. It's like Flash was originally built to be a 3 story home and we reached the roof level and kept trying to add on to it - which weakened the foundation. Now with Flash CC, the core of Flash has been rebuilt to support enough stories to justify a skyscraper. So think of this as Flash 2.0 moving forward.

What's now deprecated in Flash CC does not mean it's gone forever. Features can come back if justified. Adobe removed features based on hard user data on what was not used or used seldomly.

With Object Level Undo was one of those features that statistically, fell way down to the bottom of a long list of features. Now that it's gone, suddenly there's a percentage of users who hate that it is gone.

I personally tried using OLU and thought it was cool but not critical to my workflow.

I can see how if I was used to it and incorporated it into my daily grind how I would totally miss it if it no longer there.

So the question is, what percentage of users want it back? If a very large number of Flash users demand it back, then Adobe will hear the message and add it. They are listening. Trust me. The PM for Flash has addressed this issue to me personally just to get my feedback as a user. They get it. They want Flash to represent what we want to see in the best light possible. They are real people with real decisions to make based on our input, marketing, timing, release dates, foul weather, locusts, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to BenjaminParis

Benjamin,

that poll is great! I've passed it along to the people that should know about it. At least now with CC, if Adobe feels it's a validated feature that needs to come out of retirement, you won't have to wait for a full dot release to see it. We'll keep an eye on that poll but so far it's pretty obvious. I'll blog it as well and see if we can get the poll count even higher.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 9:08 PM   in reply to chris georgenes

Just want to say that OLU just saved me 30 minutes of work. I thought I had duplicated a symbol.  Made a bunch of changes and realized it was still the original symbol.  I needed both.

Thanks to OLU, I just duplicated the symbol and then undid all the changes in the original. The new duplicate retained all my new work and the old one was back to normal.

So thanks for fighting for this. It mattered to me today.

(FYI, I'm using Flash CS6 still because of this and the IK rigging. I'm doing iPad interactive stories and both are very helpful.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 10:53 PM   in reply to little fat girl

Yeah, its nice to be able to have a skyscraper but if you can't have like... windows then what's the point ?

I just hope that what you are saying is correct and that Adobe will re-introduce the object level undo.

If what you are saying is correct then it shouldn't really be a problem for Adobe since Flash has been redesigned to be more easily expanded. No?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to BenjaminParis

WHY remove all these features in Flash CC?

Right Click on motion tween in Flash CS

WHERE IS:

Copy Motion to ActionScript 3.0

WHY? What is the point of removal of all these features? What could this feature harm or did it get moved?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to BenjaminParis

I just started using CC on a production project and it changing that Preference is on of the first things I would do with a fresh install. Object Level undo was truly useful. I've been using it for YEARS.

I'm curious what conversation happened with the Adobe Flash team that made them think it was better to remove it.

Please put it back. I'm back to using 6 tomorrow morning.

ugh

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 4:38 AM   in reply to retropunk

OLU needs to come back, Flash is a 100 times harder to use without it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 2:23 PM   in reply to GameViewPoint

plese back!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 12:56 AM   in reply to liborio_illus

Hi,

We understand your concerns with respect to Object-level Undo feature. Just want to update you all that we are working on to putting this feature back and this will be made available as part of the upcoming Flash CC release.

Thanks!

Mohan

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 12:59 AM   in reply to Mohanaraj

Nice.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 2:36 PM   in reply to Mohanaraj

Oh! so glad to hear that!!

Flash CC has the potential to be the most appealing version from CS3, but just needs that basic features.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2014 6:12 AM   in reply to Mohanaraj

When can we expect this update?

I just installed the last update (13.1.0.226), but it's still not there ... every time after installing an update, the first thing I do is see if there already is object-level-undo!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2014 4:56 AM   in reply to xs2bas

Hi,

While I do not have an exact date to share with you, the tentative release will fall in this Spring/Summer time frame with your favorite Object-level Undo feature in-place(and much more in the pipe line). Stay tuned...

Thanks!

Mohan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points