Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Plug In Question

Jun 18, 2013 3:31 AM

With the plug ins I have with CS6, do I just copy them from the cs6 folders and put them in the CC folders, or do I have to install from scratch?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to SeanJM1960

It depends on the plugin. Some would allow you to just move them to a new folder but others will require a new installation if you wanted them in a new folder. The reason is that the activation of the plugins requires them to be in the installed folder so that they function correctly.

You can also leave them in their current folder and point each application to the folder their currently installed in through the additional plugins option so you don't have to move anything but will still be able to use the plugins.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to Cozmicone

Sorry, but Photoshop CC no longer has an additional plugins folder option.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to Cozmicone

I have found that I can copy that folder from Photoshop CS6 folder into Photoshop CC folder - I didn't think it would work, but it did. Give it a try.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to CaramelMacchiato

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to Cozmicone

Cozmicone wrote:

Sorry, but Photoshop CC no longer has an additional plugins folder option.

That's correct. When we moved the standard set of plugins that are installed with Photoshop into a new location, we removed the additional plugins folder option. The traditional "Plug-Ins" folder is now reserved for third party and optional plugins (you should see this folder next to the application, but it is initially empty).

Generally speaking, you should be able to just copy or move your third party/optional plugins from Photoshop CS6 to Photoshop CC, and they should just work. There may be exceptions (e.g. licensing requirements) that will necessitate a re-install, but for most cases that should not be necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 8:16 PM   in reply to PDFerguson

That's extremely unfortunate. There's not enough space on my program hard drive for my plug-ins, which I use extensively. I absolutely rely on being able to point to an additional plug-ins folder on my data drive. With no ability to put my plug-ins on my larger data drive, PS CC is of very limited use to me, unless I get rid of some other essential programs, or buy a new computer. Was it really necessary to remove this option for those who need it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 8:22 PM   in reply to momsflyingfrog

Then just create a shortcut to your plugins folder.

But be warned, some plugins needed to get updates to work in Photoshop CC.

The additional plugin folder preference was misused far more often than it was used correctly.  Yeah, it had to go.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,974 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jan 18, 2014 8:24 PM   in reply to momsflyingfrog

momsflyingfrog wrote:

There's not enough space on my program hard drive for my plug-ins, which I use extensively.

That is completely unsustainable.  You need a fair bit of free space on the Boot drive just for the operating system to work properly.  You don't need a new computer.  You could simply add another drive, and move a lot of things off the C: drive to the new drive.  There are heaps of web pages that tell you how.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,974 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jan 18, 2014 8:26 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I forgot to say, it depends on the plugin, but Topaz and Nik need you to download new versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 8:33 PM   in reply to momsflyingfrog

If you're that low on disk space you should invest in a larger drive. As more updates for adobe software get sent out you're going to run out of space sooner than later if you're already unable to have all your plugins installed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,974 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jan 19, 2014 1:38 AM   in reply to Cozmicone

Cozmicone wrote:

If you're that low on disk space you should invest in a larger drive. As more updates for adobe software get sent out you're going to run out of space sooner than later if you're already unable to have all your plugins installed.

I wonder if you can copy an image of your boot drive to a similar, but larger one, to avoid reinstalling everything?

Anyway,  an additional drive or two would be easy peasy, unless it is tiny notebook thingie.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points