Skip navigation
Moxie Cat
Currently Being Moderated

MPEG-2 imports as untranscoded - why?

Jun 18, 2013 6:43 AM

Tags: #mpeg-2 #untranscoded

I have an MPEG-2 file that was created from two VOB files that originated on a Mini DVD camcorder disc.

The two VOB files are the same:

720 x 480, 29.97 fps, 5744 kbps VBR

Audio is MPEG Layer II, stereo, 256 kbps, 48 khz

8:12 in length

file size is about 450 MB

Using Encore CS4 on Windows 7

The two VOBs were combined and resaved into an MPEG-2 using Womble MPEG Wizard. I use this program all the time for editing and resaving MPEG-2s for Encore, and Encore almost always accepts the files...with the main exception being videos from Mini DVD discs. They are frequently problematic, and I don't know why. Bad encoding on those cams, I guess.

I am at a loss to figure out why this file is coming into Encore as untranscoded. I would obviously prefer to avoid a re-encode, because the original video is already MPEG-2. Bitrate Viewer shows both VOBs' bit rates as relatively flat (despite both being classified as VBR), and I've read that Encore doesn't like CBR files--so that is my only theory, not that I know how to change this situation.

It would help if Encore (or another program) could tell me WHY my file is deemed unacceptable or not compliant....does anyone have any ideas how I could find this out? Or is there some type of workaround? Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Moxie Cat

Is the resultant file an MPEG-2 DVD file, or some other "flavor" of MPEG-2?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

A vob ripped from a dvd and processed through womble or similar (I used VideoReDo), "should' be compliant. It is an mpeg2-dvd flavor. But they generally produced mpg rather than m2v and audio. The most frequent problem that will give results similar to Moxie's are bitrate spikes. And using bitrate viewer or similar is the best way I have found to detect them. Just not perfect.

I have found no problems using CBR with Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stanley,

A vob ripped from a dvd and processed through womble or similar (I used VideoReDo), "should' be compliant. It is an mpeg2-dvd flavor.

I agree with the "should," as that has been my experience, as well. However, as the user can change many aspects in the resulting file, I wanted to ask, just to make sure that Moxie Cat did get an MPEG-1 DVD file.

Thinking about this, can you refresh my memory on using Multiplexed Source Files? If one has, say a Multiplexed MPEG-2 DVD file, with PCM/WAV Audio, but have their Project set to DD AC3 Audio, won't they get a Transcode for that file in En? Also, I would anticipate that if so, it would also hold if the Multiplexed files has DD AC3, but the En Project is set for PCM/WAV Audio. Just wondering, as I never work with Multiplexed Source Files.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to Moxie Cat

A way to get closer.... Export a short sample from Premiere using the MPEG2-DVD format. Look at it and your file using mediainfo and gspot. See if that gives you any info.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to Moxie Cat

Are you looking at a camcorder file? Or the file from Womble?

In Mediainfo, I see a "Bit Rate" on one line and a "Maximum Bit Rate" on another for a VBR file.

Also try it with Gspot, which scans the file for bitrate (what I think must be the average).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to Moxie Cat

I have NO idea if this will help, but a previous discuss of Encore Import Formats http://forums.adobe.com/thread/622722 MAY have the information you need

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to Moxie Cat

Sorry we didn't have a better suggestion, but thanks for reporting your workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 11:42 PM   in reply to Moxie Cat

Moxie Cat wrote:

I had to convert my files to DV and then back to MPEG-2. Didn't like to do it, but after five days of searching for an answer as to why Encore was choking on my MPEG-2s, I had to find a workaround for the client. Picture quality didn't turn out too bad, but I hate re-encoding.

I hope others in the same situation are able to figure this out better than I could.

I haven't had this problem myself,but I haven't worked with a source from a cam that are using mini dvd discs. I'm also not using encore, but I would like to try this with the dvd authoring program's that I'm using. I hope that it's possible for you to upload the original vob somewere for me to download.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to PMK3

I hope that it's possible for you to upload the original vob somewere for me to download.

There are two issues here. One is whether a vob from the original disk can be processed. This is less of a problem. The second is whether vobs (almost always more than one, because otherwise, what's the point) can be combined (usually by a third party app) and the resulting mpeg file used in Encore without retranscoding. So for a full test you need at least 2 vobs.

Let us know what you are using and how it goes.

Moxie, did  you try a single vob in Encore?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points