Skip navigation
jg716
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CC failing when opening existing FLA

Jun 18, 2013 6:41 AM

Tags: #flash_professional #flash_professional_cc

Hi,

I have several Flash Professional projects (primarily AIR Android), that fail to open in Flash Professional CC with the following error message:

Could not load scene into memory. Your document may be damaged.

These same FLA files open fine in Flash Professional CS6, so I know that they are not damaged.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to jg716

Try posting in the Creative Cloud forum.  If there was a forum for submitting complaints to Adobe I'd recommend you go there as well, unfortunately, I don't know of one for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to jg716

Hi,

Can you go through this document and see if it helps your case?

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash/using/opening-cs6-files-cc.html

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:20 AM   in reply to jg716

Hi,

Do you get the error, if you remove the greensock.swc from the library path and use the "com" folder instead;

http://www.greensock.com/get-started-tweening/#installing

Will it be possible to share the sample project which is causing the issue?

Thanks!

Adobe Flash Professional Team

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to jg716

When you click edit option for your post there is a option to upload files. You can use this to upload the fla in the forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 9:15 PM   in reply to jg716

Please change the java memory settings

"Xmx256m"  to "Xmx512m"

Java memory  file

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CC\en_US\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0

File name:jvm.ini

Value to update: -Xmx512m

Then open the file , let me know if its work for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to jg716

I'm having the same problem, a little different scenario though.  The FLA is originally from Flash CS6, saved as a Flash CC FLA. 

After saving and reopening it defaulted to "Scene 2" and wrote to the output panel, "Could not load scene into memory. Your document may be damaged."  The library was empty and nothing was on the stage.  File properties (stage width/height, framerate, etc) were correct, there was just nothing in the library.

Try #1:  I retrieved the original FLA from GitHub and tried it again.  This time it was okay after a save and reopen.   All good.  Later I saved again, closed, and reopen the next day.  It was corrupted again.

Try #2:  I retrieved the original FLA from GitHub and tried it again.  This time I copied all the library items from the old library to a fresh, new Flash CC FLA.  Saved, closed, and reopened.  Corrupted file again.

Try #3:  I retrieved the original FLA again.  This time I copied the library items to a fresh XFL file.  Saved, closed, everything okay.  Later saved, closed, found the file corrupted again.  Digging into the ~/Library folder of the XFL package there's nothing that seems wrong... all the XML files are there.

Try #4:  Opened on a different computer.  Still corrupted.

As long as I have the FLA/XFL open it won't go corrupt.  Its the moment I save and close that there are problems.   I'm working on a Mac OS 10.8, I uninstalled and reinstalled both Flash CS6/CC and Flash Builder 4.7 to ensure it wasn't bad installs.  Library is a mix of buttons, bitmaps, and movieClips.  Flash CS6 now suffers the same fate too after the latest update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to jg716

Very helpful jg716, thanks.  Figured out that I could indeed open in Flash CS6 this morning.  I took that corrupt XFL and opened in Flash CS6 (which opened!), a quick edit, save, close Flash CS6, open the XFL in Flash CC... bingo!  Could reopen on Flash CC again.  So it definitely seems like its Flash CC and the way it saves to the disk.  While Flash CC is open... no problem.  But the moment you close the Flash CC file and try to reopen its done.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to JohnCooney

This is exactly my issue. I seem to be able to work all day in a file when I have created it from scratch and build, even for hours. But when I save, quit and reopen, the file is beyond recovery: no symbols in the library at all, nothing on the stage.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 11:10 PM   in reply to GregirArt

I had this exact same problem. Saving successfully, reloading, editing, saving, until one day it stopped loading with the same "Could not load scene into memory. Your document may be damaged." However, I didn't have & in any of my paths.

I cracked open the .fla (renamed to .zip), exacted to a folder layout like .xfl, and compared the directories to a new, small xfl-saved Flash CC project.

There were obvious differences in the files, but I found the "corrupted" .fla had a PublishSettings.xml in the root folder that was over 300k in size, while the newly saved .xfl was only 7k. The corrupted file had the same "Default" publish profile XML repeated a number of times with no apparent differences. After deleting all of the duplicate entries and saving out the reduced PublishSettings.xml, the project finally loaded in Flash CC.

HTH

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 6:27 PM   in reply to jg716

I am having the same issue. Albeit, sometimes I won't get the memory error but the file will open and my Library will be completely empty and it will not use my document class no matter what. I have had to recreate a flash file 4 times in 3 days now and this is totally ridiculous. I have not had any success with the suggestions others have made.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 4:58 AM   in reply to jg716

Same issue guys - I was working perfectly this morning, first time in CC and using FB4.7 as the code editor. Finished what was needed, close and came back and BLANK project with that corrupt message.  I was using the greensock swc in there otherwise nothing hectic. Tried to change jvn as mentioned above with no success. What a let down . How do you get the publishsettings.xml file to check for the ampersands?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to Japes77

Hi Japes77, Have you updated Flash Pro CC to 13.0.1.808?

-Sujai

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 5:35 AM   in reply to SujaiS

Aah thanks SujaiS, the update fixed it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to SujaiS

The update solved it for me too. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points