Skip navigation
tomasius188
Currently Being Moderated

Timeline Bug while dragging, trimming, moving a clip

Jun 18, 2013 7:35 AM

Tags: #bug #timeline #trimming #premiere_elements_11

Hello,

I have a huge problem with Adobe Premiere Elements 11 on a Mac, OSX Lion - only in the expert mode:

If I want to drag a clip in my timeline or reposition it or trimm it, the normal background of the timeline is replace with a copy of the preview-part above. So I could not see where to place my clip exactly. I see only the duplicated preview area - see my screenshots:

Insert a clip:

Bildschirmfoto 2013-06-18 um 16.22.04.png
Remove a clip:
Bildschirmfoto 2013-06-18 um 16.22.16.png
Normal view, while doing nothing:
Bildschirmfoto 2013-06-18 um 16.22.53.png
How can I fix this problem? Has anyone the same bug?
Best regards
Tom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to tomasius188

tomasius188

Please check out the following Adobe Tech Note to see if it applies to your particular Premiere Elements 11 Mac problem.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/expert-view-timeline-zoom- in.html

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to tomasius188

tomasius188

Great news. Glad that worked for you.

Thanks for the follow up for those who might fall into the same situation. Much appreciated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 4:58 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Have the same problem, on a brand new spanking Macbook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013 with OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4. Hooked up with support because when applying the above suggested fix, APE11 would not run any more. They remotely reinstalled APE11 and applyed the fix theselves, to no avail. It still fails exactly the way it did before any attempt at repair. The fix does not appear to work on the latest Retina 15" MBP machines.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 6:06 AM   in reply to bboobb

samgracemaxmike

Did Adobe Support suggest why the fix was not working in your specific case?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Thanks for the reply! No, at first, the chat person questioned how I happened to have version 10.8.4 of OSX Mountain Lion. I told him that it was a brand spanking new machine. He then changed my display color profile and retested with out success. Then he attempted to access the NVIDIA web site and was searching for drivers, when I stopped him and asked him what he was doing. His reply was that he was going to update my display drivers. I told him that "NO WAY" was he going to do that on a brand spanking new machine that is only two weeks old. I later found that the display drivers on this new machine are not even on NVIDIA's site! He told me that since I would not let him alter my drivers, that he had to escalate

the issue and terminated the help session. He later sent me a email with a case number registered to my adobe userid. But I can't find that case number at all. so don't really know what is going on! That case number he gave me is: 0184429176. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Are you Adobe employee?

Thanks,

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to bboobb

From what I see on nvidia the latest 10.8.4 drivers are dated 13th June, so less than two weeks ago. I'd suggest you do update them. That's pretty much a standard response to display issues and if you don't install them yourself or let Adobe do it for you I doubt you'll make much progress with your support call.

1.jpg

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to bboobb

Bob

No I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way. Just an Elements user, and an Elements Windows user at that. But I have an over active troubleshooting gene.

The issue symptoms that you present surely do fit the profile intended for that Adobe issue and its fix. Since Adobe did offer the fix, I assumed that it had insider information on cause and its relationship to the fix.

Even if you do not act on updating display driver for your new computer, for troubleshooting purposes, I would identify the display driver that you have, go to the web site of the display driver card's manufacturer, and verify that the display driver is up to date to rule that factor in or out. In troubleshooting,take nothing for granted. If you verify that the display driver is up to date, then I would go back to Adobe Technical Service, update it on your details, and then learn "what next".

Several months ago elsewhere I was working with a Premiere Elements 11 Mac user, dealing with this same issue. Last I heard from him, nothing worked.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to nealeh

Neale,

Thanks You for your reply! Yes, I see that update, but my Graphics/Display product is NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M which is not one of the listed products for that driver update. Also it only mentions the Mac machines, not the Macbook Pro notebooks. I do not see any updated drivers for the installed graphic product in my machine. But, since my machine is two weeks old, and was obtained directly from the factory, I will contact Apple support and see what they think about the idea of updating the drivers.

Thanks for your help! BTW, when I run NVIDIA, automatic driver selection, it returns, "Machine not supported!". Rather interesting! I suppose it only works on a Windows machine.

Thanks again!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Thanks again for your help!

I will check it out. We are only two weeks old with this machine, so I have Apple support still. I will check out the driver levels with them and see if I should update. From Neale's comments, there appears to be a driver update, but it does not list my product. When I look up the latest drivers using my product number, it does not find one available. In fact it does not even show the MBP or OSX at all for my graphics model. So I'm very reluctant to update without Apple input!

Thanks, Again,

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to bboobb

Probably sensible to contact Apple direct. The GT650M for MBP appears to have been launched in July 2012. Interestingly Adobe After Effects looked to have issues with that card as well - http://forums.adobe.com/message/4585368.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to bboobb

samgracemaxmike

Thanks for the follow up.

Excellent thought about going the Apple approval route before making any changes in your new computer.

Although the video card driver is part of the typical troubleshooting scheme in matters such as yours, it may not turn out to be the answer, but it does need to be ruled in or out.

We will be watching for your progress.

Please update us on your progress.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to bboobb

Bob,

Normally, updates to the Mac OS will install the latest video drivers.

However, I have seen a few instances, where one did have to go to the nVidia Web site, but most of those times were for updates to the CUDA drivers, for certain nVidia cards. As PrE does not rely on CUDA/MPE, I would not think that would the case with your MBP.

Good luck, and please report your progress.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 4:26 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thank You to everyone for your comments. I will report back after talking to Apple support. It will have to wait until Monday, but I will get back with their response.

Thank You again!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Ok, I contacted Apple support, and according to their support agent, my machine is at the latest driver level available for a 15" Retina, Early 2013, MacBook Pro machine. On the Adobe side, I still don't see my case number in my user account. So I'm going to have to call Adobe support again and let them know my driver is up to date. If a solution becomes available, I'll update this discussion.

Thanks again for all your help!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 11:13 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Ok, they provided me a patch that now works on my Macbook Pro Retina 15" Early 2013 running OSX 10.8.4. They just applied the patch and the drag and drop function works correctly in Expert mode.

Don't know what they corrected, but I allowed them access to my machine and they applied the corrected patch and now it's working fine.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I assume they will provide a new patch for the problem, they did not give me the link for it since they applied themselves.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to bboobb

Bob,

Was that patch provided by Apple, or Adobe? That might help other Mac Retina users in the future.

Glad that things are working well for you!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to bboobb

Bob

So glad to learn of your good news about your troubleshooting success.

But now my curiosity gene is triggered, wondering if Adobe just applied the patch that they described in its Tech Note

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/expert-view-timeline-zoom- in.html

or

whether there is a patch to that patch

or

another patch exists other than the one posted.

But thanks to your follow up we now know that there is hope out there for this issue.

Thanks again.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, the patch was provided by Adobe support.

Thank,

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR, "That", I do not know. The Adobe engineer called back today and requested that he try his patch. I allowed him to apply the patch which resulted in a successful test. I asked him what he changed, but all he would tell me was that it was now tested on 10.8.4 could he close the case, I told him yes.

Now when I look at the dates of the old patch files and the new patch files, I see the same dates, yet the sizes are a few hundred bytes different. Who knows? They are the same but different. That's all I can tell you. I'm a happy camper that's all I know!

Thanks again!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 4:22 PM   in reply to bboobb

Great, and thank you.

I knew that Adobe had been working closely with Apple, for Retina display issues with Photoshop, and it sounds like they were successful, and for other Adobe programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points