Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Book TOC wrong order?

Jun 18, 2013 7:34 AM

Greetings,

I've just created an InDesign book with each of its chapters being an InDesign document. Each chapter needs its own TOC and there is a separate chapter for the Main TOC. All works fine but for some reason, an entry in the Main TOC is listed as being on page 1 but yet falls after 3 other entries, one on page 1 and two on page 2. See below:

Table of contents

Before you begin

Getting started ..................................................................... ............................  1

Read-ahead control codes ..................................................................... ..........  2

Read-ahead control for macros ..................................................................... ...  2

Scope ..................................................................... ........................................  1

'Scope' is the first heading followed by 'Getting started' and so on. I've tried everything obvious but to no avail – can anyone shed any light? Bug?

Thanks,

Wes

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to Wes McQueen-Oliver

Are you set to list in alphabetical order?  Looks suspiciouly alphabetetical there...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 4:05 AM   in reply to Wes McQueen-Oliver

Usually when we see out-of-order listings they're on the same page at it's a positional thing (ID picks up entries reding top to bottom from left to right). If it isn't alphabetical I don't have a clue here without seeing the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to Wes McQueen-Oliver

If the text is in different frames make sure the one you want listed first extends as far left as the second.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to Wes McQueen-Oliver

So it's a problem in one chapter TOC in a book or longer document where all the others work correctly? All using the dame TOC Style? Sounds like something that might be amenable to a trip through .idml: Remove minor corruption by exporting

Also, if this is a "for print" or standard PDF output, the TOC levels assigned to the various paragraph styles are essentially superfluous, so try making everything level 1.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to Wes McQueen-Oliver

Insets are handled by the paragraph style you assign to the listing for each paragraph style you pick up (the "entry style" field), not the actual level assigned to the paragraph. Inthe first screen cap, the Chapter Head style is assigned Level 1. In the second I've made it Level 6, but left the paragraph style alone. No change to the generated TOC:

TOC Setup.png

TOC Setup2 (levels).png

The dialogs look a little different because the first screen cap was done a few years ago on my XP box, and the new one is on the current Win7 machine. Both are from CS4, but that doesn't affect how it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:22 AM   in reply to Wes McQueen-Oliver

Well, good luck. If it really is a bug, there's not a lot to be done other than make sure you have the latest patch for the version you are using in hopes it was addressed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points