Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Jun 18, 2013 8:43 AM

Tags: #indesign_cc

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Replies 1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to RuthK

What operating system?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to RuthK

Are you opening the 64 bit version of InDesign?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to RuthK

What does apparently so mean? Are you using InDesign CC 64 bit or not?

I'm sorry but I don't know about the ME version.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to RuthK

I can only tell you that I'm finding it way faster than CS6.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Dear Mr Levine,

I am also experiencing those performance issues. InDesign CC compared to CS6 is way slower. As an example I created a polygon with many sides with the pen tool. I was clicking very fast to create the corner points and in InDesign CC I had to watch how the shape came into being instead of having the points immediately on the screen.

System:

MacBook Pro 17inch

Mac OS 10.8.4

8 GB RAM

2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Rene Andritsch

Are you using the ME version, also?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to Rene Andritsch

To show you what I mean please have a look at this screen capture I made: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qar1f2qzeypdjq7/CS6_vs_CC.mov

The first polygon was drawn in InDesign CS6 the second in InDesign CC – the video is in real time!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I am using the German version of InDesign CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to Rene Andritsch

I didn't say I didn't believe you.

I'm not sure what's causing that.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I just wanted to show it because I could not believe it myself. It is the same with drawing lots of rectangles or any given shape in quick succession.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to Rene Andritsch

For me, CC is as fast, or maybe a little faster than CS6.

I certainly have never seen that kind of slow-down. I don't know what the cause could be. Did you try rebuilding your preferences?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:38 AM   in reply to David Blatner

I rebuilt all my preferences and that led to some kind of discovery. Starting InDesign CC everthing works ok (though the drawing tools are slightly slower than in CS6, creating a new page for example is much faster). All the following things mainly have an impact on drawing tools (pen tool, rectangle tool etc. placing multiple images is also affected but maybe because an image frame has to be drawn). After activating the application frame things start to slow down a bit. If I open the collapsed panels on right side things get slowed down again and the biggest hit on performance is evident when the information panel is open.

I wanted to record a screen-capture again but this is so slow that it does not represent the bug accurately. And I guess this has something to do with the user interface because all is linked to interface actions (application frame, opening/collapsing panels, showing the information panel)

Once again my system specs (when experiencing the issues half of my RAM was still free with Safari, Mail and InDesign CS6 and CC open for comparison):

InDesign CC (German)

Mac OS 10.8.4

MacBook Pro 17inch

8 GB RAM

2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

500 GB HD (200 GB free)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:14 AM   in reply to Rene Andritsch

If you go to Preferences in InDesign and check the Interface panel - can you see where it says "Live Drawing" maybe change these settings from Immediate to "Delayed" or vice versa.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:37 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

»Delayed« is my standard setting. That was one of the first places I checked. The behavior is the same even when »Live Drawing« is set to »Never«.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 2:09 AM   in reply to Rene Andritsch

What's it like when you set it to "immediate"?

It might be worth checking that all your graphic drivers are up to date.

Check on the Intel Graphics https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

And run a Belarc advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

I know that the other InDesign works fine - so it's this instance of InDesign which is not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 2:18 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Please note - do not copy the Belarc report to the forums as it will show software keys that are specific to you.

If you can click on the start menu and type in DXDIAG

Save a report and copy and and paste it to www.pastebin.com - when you put it in pastebin you copy the link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 2:19 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Belarc just works with Windows. My system is up to date with the latest drivers installed. My other CC applications (like Illustrator and Photoshop) work fine. I will de- and reinstall it to see if that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 3:48 AM   in reply to Rene Andritsch

After reinstalling InDesign CC the behavior is still the same. I also followed the steps from an earlier help document about InDesign CS5 performance issues (http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/slow-performance-indesign-cs5.html). Those measures have no impact on the issues described above.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to Rene Andritsch

Can you try running the application in Selective Startup mode and then check ?

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-startup-items-servic es-windows.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 4:07 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Please note I am NOT on a Windows machine.

InDesign CC (German)

Mac OS 10.8.4

MacBook Pro 17inch

8 GB RAM

2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

500 GB HD (200 GB free)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 4:10 AM   in reply to Rene Andritsch

I apologize Rene but RuthK is working on the Windows 7 and you are on Mac, I got confused.

Could you try running the InDesign in Safe mode on your Mac.This link may help you :- http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

I was running InDesign in Safe mode. I had the same issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to RuthK

I'd like to add my experience. I am a long time Adobe InDesign CS6 user. I just installed InDesign CC and it feels bit sluggish to me too.

When I double click on a word (for example) it takes a half beat to hightlight the word. (vs CS6 which is instant).

It also feels like slightly slower when typing in words (split second shorter for a letter to show up on screen after I punch a key). Again, popping back to CS6 and things feel zippier.

I am running Mac OS X version 10.6.8 on a Mac Book Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GC 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Any tips for me?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to Desktop Gremlins

That's the issue I'm having, as well (posted in another thread, sorry).  Selecting text is, like you say, a half beat behind.  Hit Command-Shift ten times quickly to highlight a range and you can sit back and watch it catch up.  Not so in CS6 -- Jon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to Desktop Gremlins

Hi Gremlins,

I think I might have a clue; the system requirements (or at least recommended) for CC are for OSX 10.7 or greater. I think CC needs Lion or Mountain Lion to function at its best. Worth checking out. Hope this helps.

edit: However, I notice others having performance issues with 10.8.x... so maybe this isn't so important.

Cheers!

Mikey

Message was edited by: HeyMikey

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to HeyMikey

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hmm, guess I'd better upgrade my MacOS, but I was getting the exact same text-select lag on Windows 8.  Just thought I should mention it -- Jon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to RuthK

I'm running 10.8.4 on a brand new Retina MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM, 2.7 processor, 512 SSD. I'm also experiencing this slowness with CC. Things like dragging an image around the pasteboard or selecting or typing text are extremely slow and laggy. I am working while connected to an external display, so I don't think it has anything to do with a graphic slowdown related to the retina display.

I installed CC fresh, and did not copy over any settings or preferences from CS6. The only things I imported were my document presets and PDF export presets.

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling, but I highly doubt that will solve anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:17 AM   in reply to MVCarpenter

Update:  I did upgrade to Mountain Lion, just to see if it would make a difference, but no!  BTW, same laggy behaviour on three machines and two platforms -- Jon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Is this only happening on notebook computers? I've looked through several threads, and most people complaining about this seem to be on MacBook Pros, both older and brand new models. I wonder if it has something to do with CC not properly throttling up the system or utilizing the cores? Maybe graphic drivers specific to the MacBook Pro line?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Same issues here. I'm using a MBP Retina 2.6 GHz and 8 GB RAM. I just bought this laptop and thought maybe it had something to do with the HiDPI rendering, but I see some people here are seeing lag on regular MBPs. It's not unusable, but moving from the super quick CS6 it feels like a real downgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to PhilipFischetti

I have the exact same lag problem on a Windows 8 machine, a Mac Pro and a Mac Mini.  Never an issue of any kind with CS6 on these systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Well that debunks my theory. Thanks for the info. Hopefully Adobe addresses this quickly. In my case, it's made CC almost unusable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to MVCarpenter

I'm running a MacPro with 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon with 16 GB ram and My InDesign CC is very sluggish as well. I am still using 10.6.8 but sounds like that isn't the issue.  Anyone have a solution yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to MVCarpenter

At least now it sounds like enough of an issue that Adobe will have to get on it.  Maybe even today!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

There are lots of things that can slow down InDesign. For example, do you by any chance have Edit > Spelling > Dynamic Spelling turned on?

I wrote up other ideas here, a while back:

http://indesignsecrets.com/why-is-indesign-soooo-slow.php

However, as Bob and others have said, I have generally found CC to be faster than CS6, not slower. So something is certainly going on. (I'm on a Macbook Air, 10.8.4)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (4)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points