• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC responds slower than CS6 - any advice?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a trial of InDesign CS6 which ran smoothly for a month. Today I upgraded to InDesign CC.

I've only been using it today but there are detectable and annoying pauses when performing the following actions

Placing and relinking files

Exporting to PDF

Creating new files

Save as...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB Ram

64 bit OS

I have 250 GB SD drive for my software and a 3TB drive for my files.

I'm not great with the hardware so if I need to supply any other info please let me know!

Thanks

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 342 Replies 342
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - had posted before I finished and then added in the info - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening the 64 bit version of InDesign?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently so!

If it makes a difference I am running the ME version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does apparently so mean? Are you using InDesign CC 64 bit or not?

I'm sorry but I don't know about the ME version.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to sound vague. Yes, I'm using the 64 bit version. I don't know how to tell from within the application but that's the option listed in my programmes - Adobe InDesign CC (64 Bit)

The ME version is supposed to be the same - just with added support for middle eastern languages - but I have no way of knowing if other modules are affected.

Thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only tell you that I'm finding it way faster than CS6.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mr Levine,

I am also experiencing those performance issues. InDesign CC compared to CS6 is way slower. As an example I created a polygon with many sides with the pen tool. I was clicking very fast to create the corner points and in InDesign CC I had to watch how the shape came into being instead of having the points immediately on the screen.

System:

MacBook Pro 17inch

Mac OS 10.8.4

8 GB RAM

2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the ME version, also?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the German version of InDesign CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say I didn't believe you.

I'm not sure what's causing that.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to show it because I could not believe it myself. It is the same with drawing lots of rectangles or any given shape in quick succession.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, CC is as fast, or maybe a little faster than CS6.

I certainly have never seen that kind of slow-down. I don't know what the cause could be. Did you try rebuilding your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebuilt all my preferences and that led to some kind of discovery. Starting InDesign CC everthing works ok (though the drawing tools are slightly slower than in CS6, creating a new page for example is much faster). All the following things mainly have an impact on drawing tools (pen tool, rectangle tool etc. placing multiple images is also affected but maybe because an image frame has to be drawn). After activating the application frame things start to slow down a bit. If I open the collapsed panels on right side things get slowed down again and the biggest hit on performance is evident when the information panel is open.

I wanted to record a screen-capture again but this is so slow that it does not represent the bug accurately. And I guess this has something to do with the user interface because all is linked to interface actions (application frame, opening/collapsing panels, showing the information panel)

Once again my system specs (when experiencing the issues half of my RAM was still free with Safari, Mail and InDesign CS6 and CC open for comparison):

InDesign CC (German)

Mac OS 10.8.4

MacBook Pro 17inch

8 GB RAM

2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

500 GB HD (200 GB free)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Preferences in InDesign and check the Interface panel - can you see where it says "Live Drawing" maybe change these settings from Immediate to "Delayed" or vice versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Delayed« is my standard setting. That was one of the first places I checked. The behavior is the same even when »Live Drawing« is set to »Never«.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's it like when you set it to "immediate"?

It might be worth checking that all your graphic drivers are up to date.

Check on the Intel Graphics https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

And run a Belarc advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

I know that the other InDesign works fine - so it's this instance of InDesign which is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note - do not copy the Belarc report to the forums as it will show software keys that are specific to you.

If you can click on the start menu and type in DXDIAG

Save a report and copy and and paste it to www.pastebin.com - when you put it in pastebin you copy the link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Belarc just works with Windows. My system is up to date with the latest drivers installed. My other CC applications (like Illustrator and Photoshop) work fine. I will de- and reinstall it to see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reinstalling InDesign CC the behavior is still the same. I also followed the steps from an earlier help document about InDesign CS5 performance issues (http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/slow-performance-indesign-cs5.html). Those measures have no impact on the issues described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try running the application in Selective Startup mode and then check ?

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-startup-items-services-windows.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note I am NOT on a Windows machine.

InDesign CC (German)

Mac OS 10.8.4

MacBook Pro 17inch

8 GB RAM

2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

500 GB HD (200 GB free)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize Rene but RuthK is working on the Windows 7 and you are on Mac, I got confused.

Could you try running the InDesign in Safe mode on your Mac.This link may help you :- http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running InDesign in Safe mode. I had the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines