Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

adobe CEF helper

Jun 18, 2013 9:01 AM

Is it just me, or are other people seeing a significant ongoing CPU hit from something called "Adobe CEF helper"? For me is a constant 30% drain on my CPU, even when I'm not doing anything active with any adobe product.

On a MacBook Air (1.8GHz Intel Core i7)

Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to mrsclean

The same thing is happening to me. I work on a powerful computer, but CEF Helper is still "idling" at around 13-15%. It's a huge amount, especially considering I have no production app running.

Closing the process simply logs me out of Creative Cloud.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:59 PM   in reply to mrsclean

Same thing on a Mid 2010 iMac... pretty shoddy & a big drawback to the 'CC Desktop'.

Hogging 12.2% at idle.

Awesome stuff Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to AdminHammy

Same here! (13-15% processor). My MBP fans, as a result, are ALWAYS cranking. Pretty lame. Probably indexing my drive to send the contents to Adobe....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:16 PM   in reply to canipshun

I just quit CC, and though it issued a stern warning that I wouldn't have access to my apps, they all still work. So at least there's a simple fix (and I'm happy not to have to keep yet another menubar icon floating around)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to mrsclean

I had this yesterday as well (13-15% CPU) but today after a restart, I have two cef_helper processes, but both are taking 0% CPU at the moment. One is taking 31MB memory and the other 39MB. Not as much a concern as yesterday, but still odd.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to Peter Uchytil

A restart this morning (on OS X Mountain Lion) seems to have cleared the CPU hogging. The CEF process is present, but doesn't eat up resources.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to mrsclean

we encounter the same cpu load for Adobe CEF Helper – what is it used for?!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to mrsclean

I'm running Windows 8 with Adobe CC and I'm having the similar issues...with no shortage of memory or power - 8GB and i5 2.5Ghz.

However - the constant usage in the background does affect performance as it varies from 10%-30% while there is a Adobe CC product open.

With nothing open, it still hovers around 5%. This is a significant drain on the battery if I want to work on the move.

I'm not using any of the features of Adobe Cloud

• The Adobe File Sync is still not available
    • I'm not downloading any new apps or updating anything.
    • In fact there is a completely different process "Creative Cloud.exe" that is basically the app that is sitting in the system tray.

As far as I understand its only possible purpose is to validate your CC account so applications can run.

On fiddling around further :

There seem to be 4 separate instances of "Adobe CEF Helper.exe" running in the background and only one seems to act up at any given time. I managed to end 1 of the 4 processes, but the rest would keep restarting. That solved the CPU iusage but I feel that's only temporary. The only way to get rid of all of them is if you end the Adobe Cloud.exe process which is basically running in your system tray. That just kills all the processes related to it.

Also on killing the "Adobe Cloud.exe", I am still able to run the various Adobe software that I downloaded. Guess I'm just going to disable the cloud process from starting up.

I'll have to manually check on updates every now and then I guess.

NEEDS FIX ASAP !!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 2:28 AM   in reply to mrsclean

Same here, 13-15% CPU consumption on MacBook Pro. As I quit Creative Cloud (menu bar) app the Adobe CEF Helper stops likewise and everything is back to normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 2:51 AM   in reply to mrsclean

Same for me Macbook pro Mac OS 10.7.5 ... no Adobe Products open but 25-30% cpu usage.

It is the Creative Cloud helper ... in idle mode without any action ... *grml*

More details:
    The homescreen is loading for a long time ... maybe there is a temporary server problem(?) ...
    When the home view with the spinning loader is selected and the window is closed the cpu load around 25-30% (CEF Helper)
    plus around 15% cpu load for process "Creative Cloud".

If I selet the app-view and hide the window, the cpu load ist 8%.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to dashart21

I ran into the same thing as I investigated why my new install of Flash Builder 4.7 won't open after the first opening (or it could be correlated to trying to change workspaces). I uninstalled and reinstalled FB and it worked for an initial opening. Looking for blocking tasks, I ran into this CEF Helper processes issue and wonder if it's related.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to mrsclean

Same here. 10-13% CPU  usage for Adobe CEF Helper and frequent cooling fan usage on a Macnbok Pro with top notch processor and 8 GB RAM. Unacceptable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to mrsclean

I'm seeing the same issue here on an older mac.  I have discovered that if I turn off the "home feed" option in the menubar creative cloud preferences, the CPU usage seems to have dropped.  Don't have any idea if it was directly related or not.  Am not able to make the cpu spike back up by turning it on again so....  Inconclusive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:39 PM   in reply to mrsclean

When I noticed it just now it was using a steady 18% CPU. I have Windows 7 running in VMware and it's idling around 15%. Adobe's "helper" app is more CPU intensive than an entire virtualized OS? What the hell?

As soon as I log out of Creative Cloud it drops to zero. Log in … and we're back to 18%.

I have three Adobe CEF Helper processes in Activity Monitor, but only one of them has managed to run up 15 hours of CPU time.

"Open as Window" and the CC preferences have no effect.

With the app logged out I can run Photoshop but it asks me to log in separately. This seems to happen each time I log out of CC.

MacBook Pro 15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009 running OS X 10.8.4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:05 PM   in reply to Fuzzy Puppet

Just wondering, You said you had 3 CEF processes running. How many applications do you have installed ?

I have 3 installed and even though I tried killing the processes,  3 of them keep restarting. I had 4 running at one point of time but I managed to kill one off. Have tried ending the 3 processes individually to see if you can kill any ?

Just trying to figure out what the process does.

Fuzzy Puppet wrote:

When I noticed it just now it was using a steady 18% CPU. I have Windows 7 running in VMware and it's idling around 15%. Adobe's "helper" app is more CPU intensive than an entire virtualized OS? What the hell?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:51 PM   in reply to lord-_-yoda

Not sure how to answer the first question. I'm only subscribed to Photoshop and don't have Bridge CC installed yet, but I also have the CS6 versions installed from subscription. Could be anything from 1 to 3, I guess.

This time I found four CEF processes instead of three. I killed them all (starting with the misbehaved one) and they showed no sign of coming back.

Restarting Creative Cloud, initially I had only one CEF process with no CPU usage. Clicking on the Behance tab started a second process (still no CPU). Opening Photoshop created a third process, but one of them (maybe the last one) went away while I was typing and I'm back down to two.

The Home tab tells me my "Home Feed is empty," which could be significant. I don't remember what it said before.

I had that pref turned off before I killed it, and switching it back on doesn't change anything that I can see. Clicking on the Install Adobe Apps or Link with Behance buttons just takes me to their respective tabs. Still no runaway CEF processes, so I'll keep an eye on it for further developments.

Note also that I had to kill the Creative Cloud and Creative Cloud Helper processes after killing CEF because I had a ghost CC menu bar icon and window that wouldn't go away. Killing them as well as CEF might be important.

lord-_-yoda wrote:

Just wondering, You said you had 3 CEF processes running. How many applications do you have installed ?

I have 3 installed and even though I tried killing the processes,  3 of them keep restarting. I had 4 running at one point of time but I managed to kill one off. Have tried ending the 3 processes individually to see if you can kill any ?

Just trying to figure out what the process does.

Fuzzy Puppet wrote:

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 12:34 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Puppet

Not sure what to make of what you said...

I just killed all the processes including the creative cloud and the helper.. So i don't have anything on my system tray or any of those processes.

They don't run even when I start one of the cloud applications (lightroom, photoshop etc..) I have even disabled it from automatically starting during PC startup.

I read in another forum that CC only requires that you connect once every 3 months or so. In that case, I am just going to wait a couple of months, run it manually and update it.

Adobe probably have this figured out by then .. fingers crossed

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 3:36 AM   in reply to mrsclean

Wowsers, same here. 21-22% CPU usage on my MacBook Pro.

I only found this thread as I was looking for the reasons that the home tab doesn't load every so often on the CC menu bar and I found this out. Time to close it and remove from startup items too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to mrsclean

Same here! Constantly hogs 10-15% of the CPU and I've even noticed mouse lag and Spotlight (mission control, whatever) lag while running. This is *absurd* and is not an acceptable side-effect of having CC.

It does seem to be a bug, as killing the CEF helper does appear to restart it and make the CPU go back down to reasonable levels.

This is definitely a bug that needs to be acknowledged and addressed immediately. I won't continue to use CC (I'll go back to my standalone suite) if this keeps up.

Edit: Well, after logging back into creative cloud, it's back to 11-12% CPU. That's totally unacceptable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to trisweb2

I was seeing similar activity on my iMac. Today I started to inviestage it and when I clicked on the CC app, it said an update was available. I installed it and the CEF Helper process is now idling at 0%.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to JustJack

JustJack, have to agree, I restarted the CreativeCloud app and it also told me an update was available. I installed the update and things appear to be AOK now.

Give it a shot, folks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 5:21 AM   in reply to mrsclean

All seems well now, 0-0.5% usage on both iMac and MacBook Pro after this mornings CC Update. Nice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to ankertw

This "CEF helper" might have something to do with the "Chromium Embedded Framework", an open source web engine that can also drive many applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to mrsclean

On my MacBook Pro, I switch between two users on my machine ("home" account and work account). Adobe CEF Helper is currently running simultaniously on BOTH profiles, each taking roughly 12% of the CPU (about 24% total). I have no idea what it's doing that requires a quarter of my CPU to begin with, but why in the world does it requires 12% of my CPU for the account I'm not even using.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Another clue I just noted is that it has to do with the Adobe format for fonts that need to be addressed through SVG or other web or cloud cloud based techniques:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers/message/3211

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to lord-_-yoda

I am using PC based Creative Cloud and I am constantly having 3 copies of Adobe CEF Helper running, CEPServiceManager, CoreSync running.

The speed of my machine is nowhere near what a 12 processor machine should be, its all quiate pathetic really.

I just left behind an iMac 27 from 2009 which was quicker..!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to mrsclean

I"m having the same problem.... it is taking up multiple processes and keeps restarting itself.  Ranging from 50mb to 10mb.  I am as stickler about these things.  Please fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 12:17 AM   in reply to Renegade99x

problem happened here this morning to, quitting and restarting CC did the trick. Hope it doesn't come back again…

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to mrsclean

Same problem with the Adobe CEF Helper here. It stops eating CPU cycles only if I log out from my CC account. Also the Home tab displays "Your Home Feed is empty", is that normal?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to tudor-v

regarding the home tab being empty...  Do any of you have nulled routes set in your /etc/hosts files?  It's a pretty common thing esp. for adobe addresses since so much of their pre-CC software phoned home and shared WAY to much info about you with them.  Perhaps some of those null routes are now getting in the way?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 2:15 AM   in reply to davshirley

davshirley wrote:

regarding the home tab being empty...  Do any of you have nulled routes set in your /etc/hosts files?

I don't. And I know for sure my Home tab wasn't always empty.

My yesterday's issues with Adobe CEF Helper seems to have stopped. Now the process sits there at 0.0% CPU.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to mrsclean

Using a mid-2009 Macbook Pro 13" with 8 GB RAM, and lots of free disk space. Same problem with overheating because of constant CPU usage by Adobe CEF Helper at 25% CPU usage and Creative Cloud at 15% with NO CREATIVE CLOUD APPS running or in memory.  When I click on the Creative Cloud icon in the task bar at the top of the screen, the drop-down Creative Cloud window that appears shows the spinning gear under the "Home" tab.  Occasionally, when I'm not having this high CPU usage, that window would display status updates. The other tabs, "Apps", "Files", "Fonts" and "Behance" show their expected content.  But the "Home" tab cannot seem to connect to the content that it's trying to display, and just keeps showing the spinning gear. 

If I click the "Settings" gear in the upper right corner, and choose "View your Updates and Requests" it will display that I have no updates or requests, and offer me a button to "Go Back". When i click the "Go Back" it takes me to the Home tab, which now properly displays the content "Your Home Feed is Empty"  along with two buttons to "Install Adobe Apps" and "Link to Behance".  The Activity Monitor now shows  "Adobe CEF Helper" twice with both using 0% CPU, and Creative Cloud is shown using only 1.2%. 

Adobe needs to address this problem!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to mrsclean

FWIW I am having the same problem. In researching why my 2012 Macbook Pro was running so hot I gound ADOBE CEF Helper running consistently between 20%-30% of a CPU.

Quitting Creative Cloud stops it.

A real pain...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to Stu.Farnham

The problem with the Adobe CEF helper started again today.

I installed Bridge this morning and I saw the event appeared on the Home screen.

Later I noticed Adobe CEF Helper eating 20% CPU and the Home tab displaying only a spinning wheel. Then I installed Lightroom to see if installing any application could fix the issue, but no luck. On the Home tab I do see "You installed Lightroom" but below there is the dreaded spinning wheel.

There is something wrong with that Home tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to tudor-v

My MacBook Pro has been slowing down or locking up occasionally and I just noticed today that Adobe CEF Helper is eating up CPU resources when it doesn't even seem to be doing anything. As a laptop user I am not going to use Adobe applications if they don't fix the problem because I value having my battery last and my laptop not overheat. Any word on a fix or what the problem is?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to fleet117

On my MacBook Pro, CPU usage is 20% if Creative Cloud is running with Home tab selected (and spinning wheel). It drops to 7.5% if one of the other tabs is selected, but either way, the CPU usage is inexplicable.

Restarting the OS did nothing to change this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to mrsclean

Oh, good, it's not just me. This thing is bouncing between 24% to 47% of CPU percentage, followed by the (duh) Flash plug-in at 1.2/15%. Everytime CEF spikes, my iMac freezes for a few seconds, including the appearence of the Beach Ball of Death, which is annoying when painting in photoshop.

I can kill it with the Activity Monitor app, but I have no clue how that would affect the system. Restarting just reactivates CEF, and I have to kill it again.

I'm not using CC apps, Photoshop CS6 instead. There seems to be another Adobe process running (Creative Cloud), but it stays at normal background CPU levels.

Hope for a quick fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to mrsclean

You can disable Creative Cloud from loading at computer start-up, and the problem is resolved.  Go to System Preferences, Users, select your user account and then select the "Login Items" tab.  Just delete Creative Cloud if it appears there.  I've found it causes no negative impact on my system or the use of the Adobe CC products.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 3:49 AM   in reply to AJMinds

I use creative clouds product daily - for large portions of the day. Turning CC off at boot up would be futile for me at least.

Currently I have 3 events of CEF helper running permanently, plus 2 events of Adobe QT32 server running permanently plus a creative cloud helper and a few others like dynamiclinkmanager.exe, dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe.

None of these appear to be impacting on my workflow or PC performance to the point my workflow suffers.

In resource monitor CEF Helper is reported as running 6 threads with a usage of 2% and an averag usage fluctuating in the 1.84 - 1.86% region.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (10)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points