Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6 (CC edition) crashes on save/export

Jun 18, 2013 11:01 AM

I'm having trouble with InDesign CS6 crashing every single time I attempt to save or export a document I just finished. It has never been saved before, other documents save and close fine, I've tried removing all the links from the file, and it still crashes on save. I've tried copying it, and the moment I tell it to place the document on the clipboard it crashes. I don't know what else could POSSIBLY be causing this crash. There is no crash or error reports.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to ArakoKatoc

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to ArakoKatoc

Either there's a problem in the file (and there can be corrupt images, text or frames in an unsaved file) or there's a problem on your system. If you can't export (and it wasn't clear you tried export to .idml), then the best bet is to try moving the pages to a new document, and when that fails, try copy/paste.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:25 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I am wondering why this issue keeps arising in different forums yet Adobe does not seem to have any accountability. It certainly does not seem to be an isolated incident. If you google it, you get a lot of feedback but no real solutions. I am having this issue in both CC and CS6. I never had it before downloading CC. CS6 was fine prior to the download, which I am now regretting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 4:14 AM   in reply to hh4965

What makes you think Adobe has no accountability? Just because the problem isn't solved with a snap of the fingers doesn't mean that nobody is working on it or that nobody cares.

This is one of those really unfortunate situations. ID CC was completely recoded to run as 64-bit, the release schedule was accellerated last year from 18 -24 months down to 12 months, and no matter what you do during beta testing you are working with a limited pool of testers using only a fraction of the real-world configurations (and sometimes real-world bad habits are also a factor that is not tested) that will install the software the day it is released.

There's no question there are some significant problems, and my instinct is this is the worst it's ever been for a new release. The problem now is to actually find the bugs, which requires good documentation of hardware and software configurations and reproducible methods for triggering them, and to find potential fixes whcih can require quite a bit of rewriting of code, and finally to thoroughly test the patches. You think things are bad now? What would you say if a patch were released that broke something else?

And no, I don't work for or speak for Adobe, but I've been a tester at times in the past and I know how it goes.

Of course, problems with CC should have no bearing on existing CS6 installations, so if you have an issue in CS6, as the OP, there is much more likely to be a problem on your end than a software bug at this point.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to ArakoKatoc

I don't know what happened to you over in the Photoshop forum. I'd like to think that sort of unqualified answer wouldn't happen here in ID -- you might get a similar answer after giving more details, however -- but I'm sure it can and does happen here as well. Remember that forum participants are almost exclusively ordinary user volunteers, not Adobe staff, and that many of them are from other cultures or language traditions from yours so you may interpret posts somewhat differently from the way they were intended. Many users strike me as borderline rude from time to time until I realize they are from a culture where phrasing is understood differently or perhaps English is not their native language, so I like to err on the side of giving everyone the benefit of the doubt.

I'm a business owner myself, and I depend on Adobe software for my living. I haven't even installed CC for testing yet, let alone considered using it for production. I think anyone who thinks they were duped into purchasing a cloud subscription should take a good look in the mirror and complain to the person they see there that they need to do more testing of new software on their own systems before staking the future of their business on a new release.

And I'm really glad to hear that you found an error in your CS6 file that you were able to correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to ArakoKatoc

I'm sorry to hear you were treated badly by staff. It's not the norm, in my experience, but we all have our bad days. I can envision one of the Photoshop engineers giving you that sort of answer without meaning to be rude. They are quite busy doing paid work and sneak a few minutes here and there to help out on the forums, but they tend to be short in their answers, and in a case where the program code simply has no access to the setting that is changing I can see where they migh just say "that's impossible" without elaboration. I don't condone it, but I understand how it could happen.

And I think you have every right to be angry and frustrated with what's happening in the Cloud generally. I will say, though, that when we paly with cutting edge technology sometimes we bleed. Not that it helps any, but perhaps you've seen Bob Levine advocating the use of Dropbox for the kind of synching you do. I don't use Dropbox, but I do have a YouSendIt account that would let me do the same thing, I think, if I need to. These guys have been in cloud storage for quite a while compared to Adobe's experience and I tend to look to someone with a track record before jumping in with a new provider, even if the new provider has a good track record in other areas where I've used them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to ArakoKatoc

Did Adobe tell you to use a different product, or are you referring to my advice? I'm certainly not privvy to the decision making process that went into pulling a beta, but I bet there was some sort of legal liability that popped up. That's also one of the big reasons that you don't get straight answers about timing. US securities laws are pretty arcane when it comes to what can be considered forward-looking information and a promise of performance that might affect a stock price, so companies like Adobe have to be pretty guarded about what they can tell us. Neddless to say it doesn't improve customer confidence, and I'd like to think that if they could tell us they would.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points