Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using ColdFusion components

Jun 18, 2013 11:24 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 11:24 AM   in reply to Community Help

Unreal. NO DW support for Coldfusion anymore???  As the owner of a medium sized coldfusion shop, this will be the end of our work with Adobe. 17 subscriptions to be cancelled, simply because you want to alienate the core of your development customers.  CF Builder is not usable in our company, and not part of good workflow.  Goodbye.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to asmithjax

Hi asmithjax,

See this document http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/open-coldfusion-drea mweaver-cc.html for opening coldfusion documents in Dreamweaver CC.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to Preran

"Note: Support for ColdFusion is removed in Dreamweaver CC and later."

The fact that you can patch back in functionality you obviously intended to remove from the shipping product buys you exactly nothing in my book.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to asmithjax

Why? That sounds like the wimpiest excuse to abandon Adobe CF. Really if you cannot get by without Dreamweaver then you're probably no real coder. There's CFBuilder, CFEclipse, plugins for NotePad++ and Sublime Text all of which does a better job than the half arsed attempt known as Dreamweaver.

In other words why not say your real reason for abandoning DW, not your rant version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to LarryCLyons

You realize, of course, that Adobe encouraged a LOT of people to build CF-based web sites and templates using Dreamweaver and then create and maintain pages using Contribute?

Not everyone is doing CF components, OOP, ORM, or using Coldbox or FW/1.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 10:41 AM   in reply to Community Help

Just seems like a very odd to take what was the "GOTO" ide for coldfusion and strip cf support out of it. No, won't make me stop using CF, just shocked that they would remove something.  Guess I'll cancel the trial of dreamweaver cc and go back to dreamweaver 8. Moving the files and syntax hints are all I really need.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to Preran

Does anyone know if DW CC supports code highlighting and auto complete for ColdFusion please? Or have these basic functions been dumped too? They were the only two features of previous CF support that I used.

I'm a designer and coder but CF Builder is not for designers, so I'm loathed to use Builder.

I don't understand the new DW CC pricing. The way it looks to me is Adobe are saying that to upgrade from a previous release pay $120 for your first year. Then if you want to keep using the upgraded software you have to pay a further $240 a year, every year, otherwise you can't use it anymore. So I'm just hiring the software?

If you live in the UK the price is higher: $156 for 1st year, then $324 for each successive year.

I'm gutted about the new licencing and pricing, plus the dumping of CF. Adobe know how to dump on their loyal customers. :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to Gary__F

You can add .cfm .cfc to the list of extensions of files to be opened in code view in Preferences > File types.

The odd part is that CF code highlighting and auto complete is still there in the code, they just disabled it by default.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 6:15 PM   in reply to ahmlco

Thanks ahmico, I'm glad that DW CC will still be useful for developing CF sites.

I don't mind paying to upgrade to the latest version as there are some neat new features and better jQuery and PhoneGap integration, but having to pay every month to rent the software is ugly. It's an excuse to force every customer who didn't upgrade each year to start paying more to use the software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to Gary__F

Keep in mind that it's till there... for now. According to their site, CF support in DW is deprecated, and who knows if it will continue to exist?

And it's still there, I suspect, only because totally ripping it out would have been too much extra work.  And who knows if, say, any new tags added in CF10 will be added to the code coloring and hinting?

Personally, I consider it sad for Adobe to fail to support their own technologies, and it's somewhat telling that it seems to be the direct opposite of the way they went when they wanted to push Flash, and made sure EVERY product supported it in some form or another. Flash, apparently, was important. CF? Not so much.

I also find it somewhat odd that they seem bent on making DW some sort of "pure" HTML product (though they kept PHP support). DW, Animate, Edge Code, Reflow, Inspect... how many HMTL-only products do they need?

I have a CC subsciption primarily for DW and PS. Keep this up, and it's just PS. And since I don't do print work, or need CYMK support, it's entirely possible I can find other tools (PIxelmator) to do the job.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to ahmlco

What about CF11 and 12 tags. If they're not added to future DW releases then the product is completely dead for web designers who use CF to power their sites. Adobe are behaving like a species of spider that eat its young. They breed lots of DW users and feed them with built-in CF tools added over several releases then suddenly turn on you because you happen to be loyal to their CF and DW products.

I've written a blog on this and their CC licencing. If people don't speak out then nothing will change.

http://garysgambit.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/adobe-cc-that-really-means-c ontinuous.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points