Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

TLF  Text in Flash pro CC

Jun 18, 2013 1:36 PM

Tags: #flash #tlf #tlf_text #cc

Hi,

Flash CC looks great! Thanks!

I have lots and lots of flash projects I made incorperating TLF text fields.

I use a lot of Hebrew and Arabic texts.

As I understand... no TLF text on flash pro anymore.

What are the solutions for RTL texts?

How can I support old FLAs with CC?

Must I keep my old CS6?

Vivo

Replies
  • kglad
    72,253 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 18, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to Aviv_Heilweil

yes, keep your old cs6 so you can continue to use tlf text.

or, you can look for some components/classes that supprot rtl languages that might work with flash cc.  or, wait because other users may start adding support for rtl languages with new components/classes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 3:29 AM   in reply to kglad

Loading libraries should work for compiling but would there ever be a way to still use TLF inside the actual workspace in Flash? We use TLF a lot for visual layout of long texts because of the ability to control text and to link text fields so text can flow between fields. How would we do that kind of thing now in CC? And print is dropped, another strange thing. Storyboarding for animators, PDF document to get text out and even ebooks, all impossible now and an old part of work flow for many. Why is that gone? Been part of Flash as long as I can remember, couldn´t be a big deal to mainatain timeline frame printing capabilities.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,253 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 19, 2013 3:53 AM   in reply to HelenWLee

interestingly, you can load a tlf containing swf (created in cs6, of course) into a cc created swf and the tlf textfield works as expected even without merging the runtime library.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,253 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 24, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to Aviv_Heilweil

you're not missing anything that's there.  there's no rtl support native to flash pro cc.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to kglad

I really need TLFTextFields too. In Flash. And this is just not a solution to keep two versions of Flash on my computer.

Will this functionnality be supported in next updates of Flash CC ?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,253 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Dec 17, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to jonmazed

that, i do not know and, if i did, would be subject to adobe's nda.  so, you can't get that kind of info in public forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2014 8:53 AM   in reply to jonmazed

I'm thrilled that TLF has been deprecated and removed from CC.  I sure complained enough and outlined how terrible its implementation was here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1224779

TLF itself was an awesome addition with promising features, but was plagued with crippling issues that made it unusable (issues when loaded as external SWF, issues with consistancy between design time and runtime, issues with displaying the right fonts, very different API and missing features compared to classic text).  Hopefully they salvage the code base, fix all the issues, align the API more with the classic text, and implement it as a native player class like the normal TextField instead of as a RSL.  Hopefully, the functionality returns in a new form in a later version of Flash.  At least CC converts all your TLF text to classic text so you can open the file.

A killer feature would be expanded HTML/CSS support for the classic TextField, reimplemented as a new class like "Text" or "TextBlock" or something, that would allow you to embed child objects and have the text wrap around them automatically.  It should also support viewing/editing the HTML text in the Flash IDE, and for ****** sake the ability to UNDERLINE text in the IDE.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points