Skip navigation
RaySull
Currently Being Moderated

Help with still photo project in premiere 11

Jun 18, 2013 1:03 PM

I'm new to Premiere 11.  I did a project using only stills and music from my macbook pro. The project is about 6.5 minutes long and uses only dissolves and a couple of exposure adjustments. The orange line runs across the top of the entire project so I thought it needed to be rendered. When I hit the render button, nothing happens. I tried to burn it to dvd as is and it burns to 99% and ejects. It will not play in a dvd player although it will play on the computer at a very low quality, poor resolution. Obviously I am missing something. Any ideas???...thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to RaySull

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to RaySull

RaySull

1. What project preset are you or the program setting for this project? If the program took control of this setting, then check it out under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the listings for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

2. As eluded to by John T. Smith, what are the pixel dimensions of your photos and how many of them went into the project?

3. Besides the Render button to initiate the rendering of the Timeline content, did you try to get this task done by hitting the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard or Timeline Menu/Render Workarea? Although rendering is for preview purposes and does not provent you from moving forward to export, it is still your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. So, we need to get back to this issue when you supply more information as requested. Is this rendering issue just confined to this particular project or does this happen all the time with your projects?

4. When you get to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, what does the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate?

5. Are the Scratch Disks directed to a hard drive save location where there is a lot of free space? Please refer to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to RaySull

RaySull

Depending on your computer resources and Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit as a 64 bit application, you may or may not be able to stretch the classic recommendations for sizing for photos for use in a project destined for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Those recommendations are: for SD, pixel dimensions not to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels and for HD, pixel dimensions not to exceed about 2200 x 1238 pixels. But, since you are experiencing problems with the project that you now have in place, I would encourage you to go by the classical recommendation for photo sizing.

But keep this in mind...your photos are 3072 x 2048 (3:2) and your DVD-VIDEO is going to be 4:3 or 16:9. If it were just a matter of 4:3 to 4:3, then you would resize. But, when you are going from 3:2 to 4:3 or 16:9, you should consider cropping and resizing. Most of the programs offer batch resizing, some batch cropping and resizing. The free IrfanView program is often mentioned for batch cropping/resizing, while programs such as Photoshop Elements (Process Multiple Files) and Photoshop (Automate/Batch) are frequently mentioned for batch resizing.

When you are ready for Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and are in the burn dialog (with your DVD disc in the burner tray) you will see in the Quality area Space Required and Bitrate information.

All this does throw into the mix what project preset ot use. In this instance, I would suggest that you set the project preset yourself via File Menu/New/Project. If you crop/resize the photos for DVD-VIDEO widescreen, then set the project preset yourself for NTSC (or PAL) DV Widescreen. If you crop/resize the photos for DVD-VIDEO standard, then set for NTSC (or PAL) DV Standard.

Please do not hesitate ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to RaySull

RaySull

What is computer operating system are you running Premiere Elements 11 on? And, how much available RAM and free hard drive space does your computer have?

Is your computer optimized?

I do not want to overlook any alternative explanation for the problems that you are currently encountering with your project even though the oversized photos angle is the obvious to point to.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to RaySull

RaySull

Thanks for the computer information.

Based on that, I think that the level of your computer resources is limiting any "stretching" of the "not to exceed" pixel dimensions photo recommendations for the Premiere Elements SD or HD project.

You might consider taking the 2 GB installed RAM to at least 4 GM and seeing if you can free up more free hard drive space.

So, right now I would encourage you to stick with the plan to resize your photos as suggested to see how far you can get with your project.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to RaySull

RaySull

Every time you make an edit that orange line will appear. It is the program telling you that you need the Timeline rendering if you want the best possible preview when you view your Timeline in the monitor. This is especially useful when dealing with titles, transitions, effects, and non native format formats. You do not have to do this. But it is your Window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later.

And, you do not have to render the whole Timeline. You can set those gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the area that you want to render.

You write..."...should I put in the dissolves and render...", that is fine. And, as I pointed, out rendering is only for preview, but it has its perk in helping you catch a problem sooner than later.

Hope that helps. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

You will do just fine.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to RaySull

RaySull

When did you get that error code? I am assuming somewhere in the burn to DVD process. Those error codes are typically non specific and non identifiable by us..

If that is the case, then do the burn to folder (4.7 GB) and see if that goes to completion successfully. This type of troubleshooting is intended to sort out program from burner issues.

But, as I eluded to in a prior post, your worse enemy probably is having just 2 GB RAM installed and only 53 GB of free hard drive space. So, besides trying the burn to folder, for troubleshooting purposes,

a. Make a Copy of your project (Files Menu/Save A Copy), and then work with the copy.

b. In the copy project, delete 1/2 the content, then try the burn to disc and see if the process goes to completion successfully.

If none of the above works, we well desect the Timeline content, looking for an offending component in that Timeline.

We will watch for the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to RaySull

RaySull

When you go the burn to folder route in Premiere Elements 11....

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

and in the Burn to: change from disc to Folder 4.7 GB and designated the hard drive save location for this folder that will contain your DVD-VIDEO files. Set Presets to NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD if that is your goal. I would leave a check mark next to "Fit Contents to Available Space".

From the saved folder on the hard drive, you take only the VIDEO_TS Folder (whole folder with its content) and put that on a DVD disc with DVD-VIDEO Widescreen Format using the free ImgBurn software. Workflow for the VIDEO_TS and ImgBurn phase can be found in the following link.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

Looking forward to your results. Go or no go with the burn to folder will be a valuable piece of information in the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to RaySull

RaySull

I did not recall any mentioned of you using a Mac computer even when I wrote referencing Windows in several instances. But be that as it may.

ImgBurn is indeed a Windows program. There are Mac Alternatives for ImgBurn which I have not explored.

But perhaps we will need ImgBurn or its like, depending on your results from cutting a copy of the project in half and then trying to burn the shortened version to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc in order to support of kick out the idea of the level of your computer resources causing most of your issues.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 5:51 PM   in reply to RaySull

RaySull

Thanks for the follow up. Great news.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This