Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Never leave CS6. CC pricing sucks, but this is even worse...

Jun 18, 2013 1:41 PM

It has been discussed many times, the pricing of CC sucks and Europeans get ripped off by this Irish company with all its tax benefits.

But there is worse news. Encore has been scrapped. You can no longer deliver on BDR or DVD if you go to CC.

Adobe has single-handedly decided that Bluray and DVD are almost dead and the future is in delivering to iPhone or i-crap only. So they took away Encore altogether in CC. They have admitted they can withdraw any application from the Cloud when they like and you have to accept that. No recourse, no apologies, no refund, nothing. Take it or leave it.

For me that is EOS. I will continue using CS6 untill I find a good replacement, but CC is not at all interesting without delivery to BDR or DVD. In fact it is a complete turn-off.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

It is disappointing that we didn't get a new version of Encore, preferably with some nice new BD menu features, with the new CC versions rolled out yesterday.  But it does look like Encore CS6 is still included with your Creative Cloud subscription.

I do read articles from other sources pointing to the inevitable demise of optical disks.  TDK has even announced their departure from the business.  This does make me wonder how the hell we're supposed to deliver our products, though.  I ask every client how they want their video delivered, and everyone of them says either DVD or Blu-ray.  Not a one has ever said they want a web or 'device' version as the primary deliverable.  Some might like it as value added, but every one of them still wants that hard copy on disk with the nice packaging.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Wow, I had no clue Encore was scrapped. That is insane. So many editors still deliver Bluray or DVD projects to individual clients. Just wow. I agree that that eventually is going the way of digital downlaods and streaming but to just pull the carpet out on it while there is still plenty of need for it is surprising. But then again if I recall Apple's new iMac doesn't have a CD/DVD player no more so I guess it's "monkey see monkey do".

I love the new PPCC, I like the CC model, but I always figured at some point Encore would get pulled but no so soon. I was figuring at least a few more years down the road.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to Shane P

"but every one of them still wants that hard copy on disk with the nice packaging"

Absolutely!

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I ask every client how they want their video delivered,

and everyone of them says either DVD or Blu-ray.

Of course they do!

Encore CS6 / EOL

Is the Encore CS6 version the final release of this product?

"Yes. The trend in the video and broadcast industry is moving away

from physical media distribution. The future is in cloud and streaming

content. Therefore we are focusing more on products that deliver to

streaming services.

For example, Adobe Media Encoder and Adobe Premiere Pro CC

include a new feature allowing users to create iPad-ready video with

QuickTime chapter markers."

Oooh... iPad ready video!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

That is a "feature" no one was touting. I still find it hard to believe they've left CC with no integrated authoring tool.

But I believe it has little to do with their really believing that DVD/BD is dead. (And they are officially just saying that they believe "The trend in the video and broadcast industry is moving away from physical media distribution." and "The future is in cloud and streaming content. Therefore we are focusing more on products that deliver to streaming services.")

http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/faq.html

The reality is that from their licensing the authorcore from Sonic, Encore was always behind. They added some features that were always a bit off, I still believe because they couldn't take on the authorcore. They don't want to be bothered with fixing the Adobe problems that are in Encore or otherwise investing in what, for many of us, is an essential tool for our work.

While many users had problems with, or otherwise did not like, dynamic link between Premiere and Encore, there appears to be no workaround to continue using DL from CC to Encore CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

That's very disappointing.  I really wanted some new features for BDs.

Time to start saving for the pro-authoring options.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Christ, WTF.  I just found this out, as I subbed to CC and after moving all of my projects and apps over, tried to burn a couple projects to dics. And... yup, no Encore.  There are so many things wrong with Adobe and their CC model, and had I realized they had removed Encore from CC, that would have been the final straw that would have kept me from buying into this CC crap.

I am absolutely infuriated right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

They haven't scrapped Encore.

It's still there as part of the Creative Cloud Subscription.

BUT Adobe haven't made it particularly straightforward for you to find it.

You have to install Premiere Pro Family CS6 from the list of available Creative Cloud applications. The CS6 programs remain available to Creative Cloud subscribers as Jim Simon says. Installing that gives you Premiere Pro AND Encore.
    Then you can leave it there, or you can uninstall Premiere Pro CS6 leaving Encore CS6 in place.

Now you have Premiere Pro CC and Encore CS6.

What  you don't have is a dynamic link between PPro and Encore. Speaking personally, this was something which I found so buggy that I never used. I always rendered out my assets and imported them into Encore. So loss of this dynamic link no big thing for me. YMMV.

So Harm is absolutely wrong to say "You can no longer deliver on BDR or DVD if you go to CC."

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to Mark Morreau

And Dave Hemly's made a great blogpost about exactly how to do this.

http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to Mark Morreau

That's not adequate. I don't want, nor am I paying $30/month, to play the install/uninstall/install/uninstall/etc game.

Adobe needs to make available Encore CC.  They also need to make available Fireworks CC, for those of us who do a lot of web graphics design.

I didn't think CC was going to be that bad, so I bought into it - but now that CC has launched and I have installed what it has to offer and used it, I am sorely disappointed.  Adobe is simply playing B.S. games with it's paying customers, and I am already tired of this BS on Day 1 of their CC launch.

At least there is a 30-day refund policy in place - they did something right.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:54 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

How can one uninstall everyting CSx related but keep Encore CSx installed, including the functional content?

A user, in his first post in the forums, explains how: you install PR CS6 (which includes Encore CS6), then delete PR. You're left with Encore CS6.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5423214#5423214

It is true, you can have Encore CS6 as part of the Cloud, but that is an embarrassing way to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 4:03 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm Millaard wrote:

How can one uninstall everyting CSx related but keep Encore CSx installed, including the functional content?

Start -> control panel -> programs and features
    Find Premiere Pro CS6 in the list.

Double click the entry.

A dialogue comes up with uninstall options.

Untick Adobe Encore CS6
    Click Uninstall.

Premiere Pro CS6 is uninstalled. Encore remains.

I also have an entry in the programs list I got to above for Adobe Encore CS6 Library. That's what was installed when I installed the Encore templates.

If I don't uninstall this, then I'll still have the functional content.

Hope this answers your question.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 5:58 PM   in reply to Geronimosan

I just made the discovery that Encore is no more.  And by "discovered", that's what I mean.  I installed all the new shiny software, and...where is Encore?!?

WHY WAS THIS NOT ANNOUNCED BEFOREHAND?!??!?!?!?  Fireworks users were given advance notice.

As Encore was rolled up into Premiere several releases ago, I assumed it still would...especially since there was no indication otherwise.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to joshweiland

joshweiland wrote:

I just made the discovery that Encore is no more.  And by "discovered", that's what I mean.  I installed all the new shiny software, and...where is Encore?!?

WHY WAS THIS NOT ANNOUNCED BEFOREHAND?!??!?!?!?  Fireworks users were given advance notice.

As Encore was rolled up into Premiere several releases ago, I assumed it still would...especially since there was no indication otherwise.

Josh, why don't your read the whole thread? You'll find all the information you need to install Encore alongside your shiny new software.

Perhaps if you'd read all the way through this thread before posting you wouldn't have felt the need to shout at us like that.

You're wrong about there being "no indication otherwise". There've been blog posts about it from Adobe staff. Look, here's one dated May 15th that might have given a small hint (to anyone capable of reading between the lines): it's called "using Encore CS6 with Premiere Pro CC". There's even a helpful little video at the end.

http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2013/05/using-encore-cs6-with-prem ierepro-cc.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to findwill

Trying to pass off Encore CS6 as a solution is absolute BS.  There is no dynamic linking between PPro CC and Encore CS6, and telling your paying CC customers that they have to play the install/uninstall whack-a-mole game for this BS workaround "solution" is just another slap in the face to Adobe CC subscribers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to Mark Morreau

I did read the whole thread.

I (and apparently many others) did not see the blog post you linked to...because it's a random Adobe employee's blog.  It doesn't even state that Encore is being discontinued.

Compare that to the Fireworks announcement.  It was posted on the official Adobe Fireworks Blog, where it would be visible, with clear verbiage that the product was being discontinued.  It was not merely hinted at, or only posted to a random Adobe employee's blog.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:03 PM   in reply to Mark Morreau

Encore or no Encore, it's still ridiculous that there isn't a permanent, integrated disc authoring tool.  Adobe doesn't have to "focus" on DVD or BD if it thinks the future is elsewhere; it only has supply a tool which works reliably today and tomorrow.  It's not as if future versions of PPro will somehow be hobbled or shamed by modernity because there's still a means to burn discs.

What a nuisance....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 8:31 PM   in reply to jamesp2

At least we still have our DVD and Blu-ray export presets, although...with the future being "cloud and streaming content", it almost seems a mistake that Adobe left these in.

Back up your presets now, fellas.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Since we are so many that need Encore CC, why not asking Adobe to work on it ?

From what I understood CC is all about listening the customer and developping for the majority the tools they need. If Adobe can't provide a new version of Encore, at least they could develop a new tool to author DVD and BR, with new functionality and less bugs than there were in Encore.

What do you think ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Tento

Tento wrote:

Since we are so many that need Encore CC, why not asking Adobe to work on it ?

And here's the place to do it:
    https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to Mark Morreau

Goog suggestion mark__m, it's done. Here's what I wrote :

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

* Brief title for your desired feature:

Develop a CC version of Adobe Encore.

* How would you like the feature to work?

The dynamic link in Encore should work with the CC apps.

Encore CC should perform better than CS6, which was a great program with a few bugs and lacking some functionalty compared to more professionals authoring software. The option to export an authoring in CS6 to a website was great, why not develop it to do that in HTML 5, a sort of Encore Edge ?

* Why is this feature important to you?

Even though the DVDs and BRs will probably disapear one day, stores are still selling them, and my clients still ask for it. So we definitely need an updated tool that benefits the CC developement program.

Thanks.

Anybody feel free to do the same. As I understand the more feature request they receive, the more they are willing to work on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Cant believe this.. bluray (and dvd) is a massive format im asked to provide media on, aswell as online delivery.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 4:05 AM   in reply to oliewdj

Well, let's face it Dynamic Link from Premiere CS6 to Encore CS6 never worked correctly anyways so why enable with CC since it hasn't been updated. This just forces people to not have problems with Dynamic Link anymore, very clever.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to Cavemandude

I'd agree that DL with Encore was a 'big button' solution best avoided, but there are still plenty of features Adobe could add to Encore that we'd really benefit from.  Seamless menus, BD-J, multiple angles, 3D, etc.  Not nearly enough of the country has access to sufficient bandwidth to deliver the same quality, and streaming rarely delivers any of the special features.  Physical media will be with us for at least the next decade, probably a lot longer if 4K ever becomes a $20/title reality.

Adobe really dropped the ball on this one waaaaaaaay too soon.

On the up side, DoStudio Authoring Indie Edition is on sale until July 31st.  Normally $3,000, it's now only $2,295.  It's hefty price tag, to be sure, but it is a fully functional BD authoring program and even includes the necessary AACS fees so you can send BDCMF formatted discs for replication.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dostudioindie

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to Cavemandude

Cavemandude wrote:

Well, let's face it Dynamic Link from Premiere CS6 to Encore CS6 never worked correctly anyways so why enable with CC since it hasn't been updated. This just forces people to not have problems with Dynamic Link anymore, very clever.

Looking at my workflow...and you are correct.  Dynamic Linking and allowing Encore to do the rendering caused so many problems that I've always been simply rendering to MPEG-2 DVD formats right out of Premiere.

However, if others use Dynamic Link, then it's unfortunate for the feature to be taken away.

Encore CS6 works fine in Windows 8.  But what about when Windows 9 hits?  If it does work, Adobe will do nothing to fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 1:58 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim, what are these problems using DL from PPro CS6 to Encore? I have never had any trouble using this feature. I have just completed a run of 25 dvds using this method and have experienced no problems whatsoever. PPro - DL - Encore is such a useful feature for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 2:12 AM   in reply to Mark Morreau

You found DL from Premiere to Encore " so buggy"? Again, I ask, what were those bugs? Just curious as I have used this method so many times and not one client has come back to saying something was wrong with their dvds. DL-inking from PPro to Encore IS a fabulous feature. To be honest, all this CC stuff is quite laughable...an absolute joke. I feel sorry for the suckers who have paid into it. Apparently, the much lauded new multicam feature in PPro CC is broken.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 3:55 AM   in reply to Keano66

Dynamic link from premiere to encore never was useful for me and i felt it easier to export premiere to m2v+ac3 and then use encore to build.... - But Premiere <-> AE dynamic link is great in the new CC, it seems much faster, and updates the project within premiere speedily so well done for any enhancements done on that.

Multicam has been causing me troubles past few days in CC, ive managed to work round them but i guess i should start up a new thread....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 4:50 AM   in reply to oliewdj

Dynamic linking from PPro to After Effects still works great for me in CS6! Why would I bother changing a winning formula just so I can get on the Cash Cow? Adobe Encore is a great authoring tool and coupled with the ease of dynamic linking to PPro was a fabulous feature. Never had one problem with it. Incidentally, I did download the trial version of CC the other day to see what it was all about...looked quite nice up to the point where I uninstalled it all last night.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to Keano66

what are these problems using DL from PPro CS6 to Encore?

Projects going from HD to SD (downrezzing) seemed to have  problems with dynamic link. This may have improved from the earlier dynamic link versions, but the problems were reported often enough that many users did not use it and discouraged others using it. And when you are having a problem (of any type) in an Encore project and you are using dynamic link, avoiding it was the most likely fix.

The Automatic transcode option is an important point of using dynamic link, and you could not control some of the transcode options (e.g. scale to fill - that was essential for HD to SD).

In earlier versions, quality was better if you used your own export from Premiere, and many users found the best quality in third party export options. This improved in newer versions of Premiere/AME, but I don't think it convinced many users to go back to dynamic link. And for bluray projects, there continue to be too frequent reports of Encore overshooting the disk size. Dynamic link just continued to have a too high frustration factor.

The users who had the best success with dynamic link were using SD to SD.

Dynamic link should have been improved, not abandoned.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Thanks for the info, Stan. I have to state that my main material format is in SD. That is probably why I have never experienced any trouble with Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to Keano66

The main problem I had with Dynamic Link and Encore was random single video frames popping up in various places on the finished DVD. Had I not watched the entire DVD closely I would have never caught it. This happened on several projects and once I stopped using Dynamic Link the random frames stopped.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to Cavemandude

The main problem I had with Dynamic Link and Encore was random single video frames popping up in various places on the finished DVD. Had I not watched the entire DVD closely I would have never caught it. This happened on several projects and once I stopped using Dynamic Link the random frames stopped.

I don't think anyone found a workaround or solution to this. There were a few other users affected by this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 7:03 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I stopped using DL when CS5(.5) was flipping the fields when going from HD to SD. Eventhough it was corrected in CS6 I never used DL again.

So I do not miss DL.

However I would have liked to see an Encore CC with some new features. Still make dvd's and blurays.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 9:39 AM   in reply to Cavemandude

When letting Encore transcode, my final DVDs would have "glitchy" frames that would last for around 1 second.  Like it was an MPEG encoding error.  (Was not a problem with the source footage!)

They would appear randomly, and since I did not have time to proof every single second in each project, dynamic link to Encore was not an option.  Exporting to MPEG-2 DVD from Premiere resulted in no problems, and was much faster.

All of my material has been HD, originally HDV and now AVCHD. So Keano66, it must be a problem specific with HD.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points