In CS6, I could import (open) DWG files and it would correctly categorize the input objects into separate layers. In CC, it is putting them into a group in a single layer, which is a big usability regression. Is there a fix for this?
I don't know whether it helps anyone or not, but I reported this as a formal bug to Adobe under case number 0184417993, which is now in the status of "Open - Pending Adobe Response." I spent some time on the phone with them and they were able to produce a very simple test case that duplicates the problem, although now we are playing phone tag to provide additional information of some sort. In the meantime, I have gone back to using CS6.
A brief update. I have spent a lot of time with Adobe Support on the telephone about this and they acknowledge that there is a bug that has been reported to Engineering. They have offered no prediction about when it would be corrected.
In the latest update of Adobe Illustrator CC, released about an hour ago, this bug has been fixed. For more details on this update, kindly refer to:
Thanks & Regards,
Well, I am embarrassed to say that I spoke too soon. When I did my test, I saw that the imported DWG file was producing multiple layers, so I assumed it was fixed. However, as I started working with it today, I find that paths are being placed in incorrect layers. Usually, the very first layer in the stack has quite a number of paths that should have been assigned to lower layers. I tried this with various versions of AutoCAD file formats, from R13 to R24. I use dozens and dozens of these files in my work, and they all import correctly into Illustrator CS6.
Another update. After sending in some test files to demonstrate the problem, I received an email from Adobe support that said "Thanks a lot for reporting this issue. We have Isolated the issue and forwarded it to the core team for a fix."
CC updated and now I am having an issue where the layers import but the objects are on diffferent layers than where they started out. Some of the dimension objects wind up on the walls layer the valence objects end up on the 0 layer amd all sorts of random objects land on the defpoints layer I never use the defpoints layer etc etc. I have to go through the file and select all the objects by stroke color then cut and paste in place everything in the correct layer. this is a new issue since the CC updated last week. Tried saving the autocad file back to 2000 and as a DXF.