Skip navigation
Raycoteknik
Currently Being Moderated

Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Jun 18, 2013 6:08 PM

After importing 21 Cineform .avi files to Prem Elements11, 4 of them showed up in the Project Assets at the wrong duration. For example, a 9'33'' length clip appeared as 2'24''. In each case, roughly the first quarter of the clip is there, but the remaining three quarters is gone.

Is anyone aware of a fix for this?

Cineform .avi files are created by the Cineform Studio software supplied with GoPro cameras. Prem Elements can handle the camera's raw MP4 files fine, but the Cineform software is essential for flipping clips recorded when the camera is upside down.

As an alternative, could anyone recommend a file converter that can flip GoPro raw MP4 in batches and convert them to a file format that Prem Elements can handle?

In my case, the original GoPro footage was recorded at 1280x720 and 50fps. In Cineform Studio, I flipped the clip and output it to .avi at 1280x720 and 50fps in high quality. I'm running Windows 7.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2013 6:27 PM   in reply to Raycoteknik

Raycoteknik

How are you importing these Cineform.avi into Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit?

What did you or the program set as the Premiere Elements 11 project preset? If you do not know, please check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

Did you find

PAL

DSLR

720p

DSLR 720p50

If not, please set the project preset with this choice yourself via File Menu/New/Project with a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on thsi project before exiting the new project dialog. Then in the Premiere Elements 11 workspace, import your video.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to Raycoteknik

Raycoteknik

It would appear that somewhere between 7 minutes 10 seconds and 7 minutes 55 seconds is where your issue starts.

Please go back and translate all the minutes seconds per file into file size for each file and its split clips.

You wrote:

I'm importing them using Add Media/Files and folders from a location on my hard drive.

Where is that hard drive save location?

I have found one case back in 2010 with CineForm NeoScene that goes to what sounds like your issue, but in Premiere Pro CS4. Unfortunately there is no reply to that thread.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/905642

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to Raycoteknik

There have been several posts regarding a truncated Duration on Imported files, with but a few having been Cineform files. Most came from other sources. Also, I see more of this in the PrPro forum.

As I mentioned in the thread that you linked to, I have seen such (not Cineform files, though), in PrPro. My solution was to Import the problem files into PrE (I was using PrE 4.0 back then), then just Exporting/Sharing from PrE, in the same format (DV-AVI in my case), and that output file would then work perfectly in PrPro. In my case, PrE was used to "convert" the offending files, for use in PrPro, so it was my answer.

Not sure what is happening with the Cineform files and PrE, but a few others have reported issues with truncated Duration, but in PrPro.

I hope that ATR and you can track down the issue, and can find a solution.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to Raycoteknik

Raycoteknik

You asked for clarification on what I wrote regarding

It would appear that somewhere between 7 minutes 10 seconds and 7 minutes 55 seconds is where your issue starts

Please disregard, that should have reflected somewhere between 6 minutes and 15 seconds (2.90 GB) and sometime before 7 minutes 10 seconds (4.25 GB).

What is the format of the D drive and what drive formats are represented on your computer....all NTFS or FAT32?

Everything would fall into place if FAT and the AVI File Size Limits were involved

http://neuron2.net/LVG/filesize.html

If not, then we need to think on.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:28 PM   in reply to Raycoteknik

Raycoteknik

Did GoPro Support tell you the specifics of what it is fixing with this custom file importer.

Is it a problem inherent in avi files beyond 4 GB whether NTSC or FAT32 is involved?

Back to plug-ins for Premiere Elements 11....please look at

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Plug-ins

and putting this custom file importer plug-in into the Common or the en_US Folder in the Plug-ins Folder.

If that does not work, see if you can find out what the route is in Premiere Pro.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:28 PM   in reply to Raycoteknik

Raycoteknik

You cannot imagine how excited I am for your success. Congratulations, great job.

Your determination resulted in a major contribution to Premiere Elements and those who find themselves in a similar situation as yours.

Not enough marvelous and great to describe how pleased I am for your success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to Raycoteknik

Great news.

I have bookmarked the Cineform link, and will share that with others, who have similar problems.

Thanks for reporting your success.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to Raycoteknik

The update is appreciated.

Thank you, and continued good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as: