Well, no one uses legacy suites since there aren't any as of CS6 But if you use version X of a suite and Illustrator updates that suite, you need to recompile your plugin against its SDK now, whereas you before didn't need to before that. We used to build our plugin so one binary would run against as many as four versions of Illustrator, but now it'd be fairly unusual for any binary to work with more than the Illustrator it was intended. It's a bit of a shame really, but I imagine it makes Illustrator development less of a headache!
It is possible to get away without recompiling, but its hard since most the suites that are commonly used are updated every version. Still, it is possible, just unusual.
No, I agree that you need the SDK. It's a little silly it isn't posted somewhere yet. I was just kind of musing on how things are different then they used to
Our build process is about 5x longer than it used to be becuase we have to build the stupid plugin five times instead of just once (though to be fair, we'd have had to build it twice at least for 32/64-bit). I just kind of miss the days when your plugin would still work on the next verison.
Hopefully the SDK will be posted shortly!
I managed to make my plugin work.
All the AI* suites I use have increased their version number by 1 except AIRasterizeSuite which was incremented by 2.
Also AIReal is now double instead of float
I created a copy of the CS6 SDK which I renamed CC SDK, and modified the headers accordingly, waiting for the official CC SDK.
That's a very dicey thing to do, though if you can run in the meantime I suppose it works
Just in case anyone reads this who doesn't know better, do not do this and then ship your plugin or you're asking for strange crashes!
Obviously the correct thing to do is waiting for the official SDK.
Having said that, what exactly is taking so long for the release...?
We might be losing customers because of this unprecedented delay. :-(
Anyone got any new news or a date on this. We have customers going down because they can only get the CC version for new machines and our plugins dont work. Im going to have a go at Cedrics idea, things are getting desperate Adobe. Please expidite this change over. It seems crazy to leave all you developers high and dry like this.
It seems crazy to leave all you developers high and dry like this.
I second that.
And I don't even want to think about how this same scenario will play out for future CC updates without proper release cycle...
Adobe: you have to get SDKs ready *before* releasing the software!
I’ve noticed that adobe has release their Adobe Extension Builder 3 product which supports building extensions for Illustrator CC:
And… Illustrator CC SDK package is still unavailable....
I was thinking about buying the CC membership and starting with the plug-ins development but now I have my doubts – I wonder whether I should go this way watching how Adobe treat its partners. And I’m afraid this is a normal practice – no support, no information.
It looks very unprofessional…
Just to let you guys know, some of us in the pre-release program have asked the Illustrator guys about the final AI CC SDK and they said that they've always released it post-release, and that it should be coming soon.
Good thing or not, that's how its always been. If you want access to the SDK ahead of time, the only option is to get into the pre-release program. Frankly, that's just a Good Thing(tm) in general, since it lets you explore for bugs in the SDK at the same time.
That said, I don't know how one gets into the pre-release exactly. I've been in it for years and I think that comes from being a registered developer partner member, but since that's done through my company I don't actually know. Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a few more people in there from the development side; there are lots of people on the user end of things, but only a handful of us developers. The additional feedback would probably be welcome, though obviously that requires you to set aside time to fiddle with what can be at times a very rough build of Illustrator (I've taken to running early pre-release builds in a VM as I've had some experiences damage my installation to the point where I had to reinstall Windows to be able to use Illustrator properly again -- that's rare, but I take no chances now!)
If you're interested, maybe someone from Adobe will come by this thread and scoop up some users. With the advent of CC its looking like the pre-release program might be a permanently ongoing thing now.