Skip navigation
TommyFrost92
Currently Being Moderated

Resize multiple images if large enough, using actions?

Jun 19, 2013 1:55 AM

Tags: #photoshop #help #image #jpeg #action #large #variable #quality #resize #jpg #proportions

Hi!

I work at an architectural company and I need to resize a lot of images in our database. We’re talking about roughly 40.000 images, but that is not the hurdle.

Previously I have made an action that resizes my images in two steps, because I need them in two different qualities

When I open the image and runs the action, it does something like this:

1. Convert mode: Convert to RGB
  2. Save: As JPEG, quality 10, and in a certain folder
  3. Image size: width 800px, constrain proportions
  4. Save: As JPEG, quality 8, and in another folder
  5. Close

Now I want to make a change to that action, by resizing the image two times instead of one.
I want it to look something like this:

1. Convert mode: Convert to RGB
  2. Image size: width 4000px, constrain proportions

(BUT ONLY IF THE IMAGE SIZE IS LARGE ENOUGH, OTHERWISE LEAVE IT AS IT IS)

3. Save: As JPEG, quality 10, and in a certain folder
  4. Image size: width 800px, constrain proportions
  5. Save: As JPEG, quality 8, and in another folder
  6. Close

How can I do this? Do I need to add a variable or?

I really hope that someone is able to help me?

Kind regards
Tommy Frost

Replies
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jun 19, 2013 3:32 AM   in reply to TommyFrost92

Hello, you did not tell us what version of Photoshop you are talking about. If you are on Creative Cloud, there was an update to Photoshop 13.1 that brought conditional actions.

Otherwize, I'd use Bridge to sort the images, and apply the different actions using tools>photoshop>Image processor.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e 41001031ab64-7427a.html

Or: http://www.hoffmanartdesign.com/2009/09/adobe-bridge-image-processor-b atch-on-steroids/

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 3:36 AM   in reply to TommyFrost92

With actions allone is this not possible. You need a script which can be called with the action.

Try this question in the script forum and ask for a script.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 19, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to TommyFrost92

Tommy If you go to Russell Brown's Web Site the is script there named Image Processor Pro.  The script should work in CS5 looking at its code it look like it requires Photoshop 12 or higher CS5 is 12. For cs was 8, cs2 9, cs3 10, cs4 11, cs 6 13 and CC 14.  When installed this Plug-in script will be listed in Photoshop menu File>Automate>Image Processor Pro.  This script can save as many images as you need for you image files.  It can do the resizes you need and you can have it convert to sRGB and set the jpeg quality when saving jpeg files.  This batching script is not limited to jpeg files it can process any image file format and can save many image file formats.  Of course while in can process RAW file it can not save raw files.  A batch run is not confined to a single file format a mixture of input files formats is fine.  Output files formats can be most of Photoshop supported format files. You can also have the Images Process Pro include an action for each output file before or after the optional images resize.

ipp.jpgfmt.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points