Skip navigation
eintschgo01
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CC crashes always after quit

Jun 19, 2013 5:30 AM

InDesign CC crashes alway after quit. Every time I quit InDesign CC I get the error message that the program crashed. After restarting InDesign CC I have to do all the presettings again. What can I do?

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to eintschgo01

Same here, with separate installs on two computers (latest gen iMacs). I tried deleting the program (using the Adobe program deleter) and reinstalling it, and I have the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 9:58 PM   in reply to eintschgo01

Same problem here on my Mac mini. Everytime I quit Indesign it crashes and error message appears.Indesign.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to petewaw

The last thing Adobe apps do upon shutting down is to update the present version of the preferences file. If this is not possible the app will crash. Make sure that your permissions are correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

That makes sense, but it's still crashing even after making preference permissions correct in the users folder. Unless there is a preference file somewhere else that I don't know about, it's a bug. Also, why don't the other CC fonts crash on quitting?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 9:41 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

In my case - checking permissions, deleting and creating new preferences didn't help. InDesign didn't crash on quit until I tried to change default preferences. Then it crashes again and on the next launch I have default preferences again.

I think there's something wrong with workspaces.

Tried again - with default preferences (prior to tailoring workspace to my needs) InDesign exits with modified preferences without problems.

After modifying workspace, creating new, custom look - problem is back and application crashes everytime on quit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to petewaw

I am using macbook pro retina, the Adobe CC doesn't work, when I choose the tool boxs' text tool, it will be quit.

Can anyone help?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:11 AM   in reply to Sun Alan

@Sun Alan, please look for bad fonts on your system. Please check if these fonts are installed, then disable or uninstall them:

• Ithornët
    • Typo3-Medium.ttf
    • Typo3Normal.ttf
    • batang.ttf
    • Savoye LET

Also, please follow this KB to troubleshoot fonts on your Mac: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-fonts-mac-os-x. html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to PrintFusion45

Thanks PrintFusion4s,

I have not installed the fonts:

• Ithornët
    • Typo3-Medium.ttf
    • Typo3Normal.ttf
    • batang.ttf
    • Savoye LET

BUT i fixed the problem, want share to all users for ref.

Step 1) I backup all of fonts from "user library font folder" ((not the system library)) to desktop new folder

Step 2) Open Font books and delete all user fonts.

Step 3) Then I put back the backup fonts by "A fonts.... > B fonst.... > C fonts.... "into the "user library font folder"

Step 4) "A" fonts put there, then try to open Indd, no problem, "B" fonts... no problem... "C" fonts...

Step 5) I found 2 bad fonts:

• MHeiGB-Bold.ttf
    • MHeiGB-Medium.ttf

Then All fonts is no problem.

BUT the step  2) is a MUST,  because I have 2 macbook pro, when the 2nd times I only delete MHeiGB-Bold.ttf, MHeiGB-Medium.ttf, the indd CC still quit.  After I try step 2) then put all others fonts into  "user library font folder". The indd CC is work.

My english is poor, hope it can help all~

Thanks share~!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to eintschgo01

same thing is happening to me on InDCC/Win7. crashes every time I quit. help?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 5:54 PM   in reply to eintschgo01

This is a known issue and engineering is investigating hard on this one. Thanks to Sun Alan for his detailed feedback and info that I can share with engineering which will be of additional help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 6:33 PM   in reply to PrintFusion45

Thanks for the update PrintFusion45 - can you direct us where to download InDesign CS6 so we can keep working while CC is being fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 4:14 AM   in reply to PrintFusion45

after the Adobe plugin,

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-cc-crashing-launch.html

the fonts:

• MHeiGB-Bold.ttf
    • MHeiGB-Medium.ttf

are no problem now.

Thanks

Alan

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 2:22 AM   in reply to mrralphsanders

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to RalphMolenaar

The Tech4Pub tip worked for me until I set new preferences, then InDesign started crashing on quit again. Remember, this this tip was written for CS6; CC hadn't been released when it was written, and this is a problem unique to InDesign CC. But at least I was able to save interface and pasteboard prefs before the quitting started again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to Sandy Campbell

I've had the same experience, Sandy.

Occasionally some of my prefs are retained, but CC pretty much always crashes on quit.

I started a different thread about it here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to Sandy Campbell

Before I used that tip I changed all permissions off the InDesign prefs (files and folders) into read & write. Maybe that made the difference? Since then, I haven't had any crash.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to RalphMolenaar

ID absolutely needs both read and write permission.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to eintschgo01

Me too, very disappointed that after the Update to InDesign CC 9.01 the application keeps crashing on start and on quit. What are the people at Adobe doing??? I cannot believe that a software that has been developed during more than 13 years comes with major bugs like these.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to schmizz ::

The problem I was having with InDesign CC crashing on quit stopped when I removed 3rd party startup script. Make sure you don't have any. See the thread here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to RalphMolenaar

This fixed my crash-on-quit problem. (deleting prefs with the startup key command) Thanks, Ralph!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to 00rhodiad

A follow-up: just re-set interface preferences and quit without crash, which means Indesign succeeded in writing a new prefs file. Then I loaded my workspace and successfully quit without crashing.

Sure glad I tried dumping prefs before unnecessarily futzing around with fonts for hours!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to eintschgo01

The pref-dump routine that fixed this issue for me:

With Indesign NOT running, launch Indesign and then immediately hold down Command-Option-Control-Shift (or Option-Control-Shift on PC). You'll get a dialog that prompts you to delete your preferences file or cancle, and warns you about what settings you'll lose if you delete your prefs file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to eintschgo01

assuming you're on windows (this is Win7) go here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC (64 bit)\Scripts\startup scripts

make sure you don't have any non-Adobe startup scripts running.

Equalizer (which I love) was the culprit for me.

(meant to post this specifically for eintschgo01; it's Monday, it's early, yada yada yada)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to 00rhodiad

Another follow-up: I'm back to crashing on quit every time now. But I think it may have something to do with saved/loaded workspaces as petewaw suggests above. Looks like Indesign starts crashing on quit after I load my saved workspace. I'll try re-dumping prefs and working without loading a saved workspace for a while and post back on whether or not the COQ returns.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to eintschgo01

Don't want to be a nay-sayer, but after I flushed prefs and redid them, InDesign managed to quit a couple of times without crashing but now it's doing it every time again.

I think the solution is to never quit.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to DaveSofTypefi

are you folks still having the problem on mac or windows? just curious. the 3rd party startup script was really the problem for me on Windows. I had tried everything anyone on the forums had suggested...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to DaveSofTypefi

Heh-heh, I like how you think!!

I assume you were joking, but this may actually be the workaround until Adobe squashes the bug. My first thought was "but until this is fixed, file restore won't be working!" But I just tested it and it does actually still work correctly--if I force-quit with an unsaved document open, when I relaunch Indesign, the unsaved file restores as expected.

Dave, you're a genius. Adobe... it's still unnerving. Looking forward to a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to mrralphsanders

are you folks still having the problem on mac or windows?

Mac here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to 00rhodiad

I'm also on a Mac with 10.8.4.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to DaveSofTypefi

then I'll butt out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to DaveSofTypefi

DaveSofTypefi wrote:

That's the spirit!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

But on a more serious note, I'm pretty sure Dave has his install fairly loaded with personalizations, so I wonder if maybe disabling some plugins or scripts as a test might be in order.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to 00rhodiad

I may have figured out the source of my particular issue: I manually migrated in my workspace from a previous version of Indesign (moved the file from the old directory to the new one). I've done this with Indesign updates in the past and didn't give it much thought this time other than to wish Indesign was smart enough to do it automatically or at least offer an import option. At any rate, by trial and error I figurted out that I could load any other workspace without COQ, but as soon as I loaded my old workspace the COQ would begin. Note that I can temporarily load the old workspace, just can't quit while it's loaded without crashing--loading old workspace then switching back to one of the default workspaces allows me to quit with no crash.

So turns out the solution for me is to rebuild my workspace from scratch. I've saved a totally new workspace preset and seem to be stable now quitting and relaunching with reckless abondon and not a single crash. If it comes back for me, I'll post an update here.

Again, my solution is to delete prefs using the launch key-combo, then rebuild my workspace preset and NOT quit Indesign while an old workspace is loaded.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Actually Peter, just a handful of preference settings, some shortcut changes and some shortcuts attached to scripts, that's it.

I do run with the interface set to light and the application frame and bar switched off.

If that's all it takes to crash this baby then this baby is one fragile little thing.

I'll stay with not-quitting (until I have to). Of course, one needs to quit to save preferences (a cockamamie scheme if ever there was one but I lost that battle in 2002).

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to DaveSofTypefi

Yeah, I'm another member of the Dead Horse Brigade.

I wonder if the custom workspace clue might be relevant. The whole freakin' GUI was re-written and I wouldn' be surprised if old workspaces caused a hiccup in the same way that old shorcut sets caused trouble when CS5 was introduced.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points