Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CC performance ...

Jun 19, 2013 6:10 AM

Hello!  I have upgraded on Mac and Windows machines, which went well, no crashes, etc, but experiencing a few weird things.  On both platforms basic performance is quite laggy.  Just dragging a simple text box about the screen is chopppy like the old days!  Also, I used to complain about InDesign's black text selection colour (ie, not system highlight colour), but it was always at least instantaneous.  Now, there's a delay effect just selecting text, words and paragraphs both on Windows and Mac (and the selection colour on Windows is a bizarre dark teal blue).  Are any others experiencing this?  Thanks -- Jon.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Apparently a few: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5425266#5425266

Are you using a US English version?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

One nice thing about CC is that you are only into it for one month of rent so far. If it does not meet your expectations and is not working correctly (bugs) then just cancel it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to Was DYP

Was DYP wrote:

One nice thing about CC is that you are only into it for one month of rent so far. If it does not meet your expectations and is not working correctly (bugs) then just cancel it.

How in the world is that a feature? I also confirmed it this afternoon on my workstation at work (MacPro 2007 Intel Xeon on OS 10.6.8). So far both Photoshop and InDesign CC are running slower than CS6. The ability to cancel is not an option because once you start migrating files to CC, rolling back to CS6 or early is wasting everyone's time. Fix it Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to techboy96

Never said it was a feature.

But why are you continuing to rent something that is defective and wasting your time migrating files to it.

In the past with perpetual licenses we sunk a lot of money into buggy Adobe software and were far more stuck with it. Now if Adobe does not get there act together stop your rental payment for defective software not delivered as promised.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to Was DYP

Was DYP wrote:

Never said it was a feature.

But why are you continuing to rent something that is defective and wasting your time migrating files to it.

In the past with perpetual licenses we sunk a lot of money into buggy Adobe software and were far more stuck with it. Now if Adobe does not get there act together stop your rental payment for defective software not delivered as promised.

Your logic fails. Adobe has changed their model, CC is here to stay, the solution is to fix it now and move forward. Talking about it and getting their attention is necessary. If you like to stuck your head in the sand and pretend CC isn't here and the problem will go away because you want to stay with CS5 or CS6 for as long as you can...by all means do it your way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to techboy96

What is the logic in willfully continuing to rent defective software. Yes the model has changed and your willingness to continue paying for it as it is, just might mean there is no reason for Adobe to fix it. Is this the new model, we will see.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Hi Jon, Clearly you are not alone. I 'upgraded' from CS6 over night. Got into the office this morning with high expectations. Both my Mac Pro 12 core and my Macbook Pro stacked with RAM and SSD's are very 'laggy' using this new version. Photoshop is good, but Indesign is shocking. Almost like working on a screen share compared to CS6. There were no issues with the installation, and I even run the usual apple 'house keeping' tasks and rebooted after the install. Guess we are all early adopters. I have just completed a 208 page catalogue in one document with CS6 with no glitches. No way could CC do this at present. Fingers crossed Adobe are working on a performance fix. (Running: Mac OSX Lion & Snow Leopard / Mac Pro Mid 2010 & Macbook Pro 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo 17"). -- All the best, Scott.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Hi everyone. I already posted a lot on the thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1235363?start=40&tstart=0

I think the best thing we as users can do is giving as much information on the matter as possible to get this sorted out as soon as possible. Please, all of you who experience those performance issues file a detailed bug report on the related Adobe site: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Try exporting the document from CS6 as IDML and opening that in CC.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Hmmm. Interesting findings Jon. Thank you. Funny thing, you mentioned earlier about the black text selection... I've been working on a document with a 20% grey tint, and the text selection is almost invisible! Seems that it is not as 'dynamic' if that's the right word anymore. I'll play with the Trans blend modes in the morning too. Kind regards, Scott.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Having struggled through the day with Indesign 'CC' my biggest annoyance on top of the slow 'juddery performance' is the text selection. Take a blank page, drag out a text box and fill with placeholder text. Next using the text tool, double or triple click to select a word/line or para. All is good. If you click outside the box, say to another object or another text box, and try and select text with the double/triple click method, it does not select anything. This is highly frustrating when amending mutiple text boxes (as I'm sure we all do in our day to day working lives). I got so frustrated that I have switched back to CS6 in the interests of my sanity, at least until the bugs are ironed out. Hope that happens soon. I'll keep checking it to see.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 4:45 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Hi Jon, Can you share what kind of objects you have on page? I tried with few text frames and objects having transparency but didn't see any issues.

Are you working with some specific panels open.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 5:00 AM   in reply to rkguglani

Hi there rkguglani.

Does not make any difference whether there is transparency or not in my case. If I have 2-3 text boxes on a plain page - no images, and using the text tool to click inside them and select the text, I have to actually select the box with a click first before I can highlight any text. With CS6 I could very quickly double or triple click text in any text box on the page, withouy having to select the box first. It's a little thing I know, but when I have a couple of hundred pages of text changes to do, it gets a tad frustrating to say the least. Couple that with the 'slowness' that many of us have experienced it is annoying. I am currently working on a 12 page A4 brochure with CC. When I Use the scroll ball to scrolll down the spreads it takes an age! Not fast, there is a mega delay. I am using a 12 core mac pro with 32gb RAM. Performance cannot be an issue can it? I am on Lion, not Mountain Lion. Not sure if that could be the reason. I am a little hesitant to upgrade the OS at present, as I have a 'working' machine, that (apart from Indesign CC) is bang on. Thanks for your suggestions. Kind regards, Scott.

PS: With regards to panels, I am using the default Typography working space. I don't have 'Separations Preview' on or anything like that. I know that they can sometimes slow down performance. I even have the display perfomance set to Standard. A lot of my work can be 'image - rich' and it's not uncommon for me to have 80+ pages, filled with transparent images across multiple layers. Indesign CS6 never skipped a beat, even on a 5 yr old MacBook Pro. I'm sure Adobe will iron this out for us...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 4:35 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Ich habe genau das gleiche Problem. MacPro mit OSX 10.8.4, 8 GB RAM. InDesign CC ist sehr viel träger als CS6, und somit für produktives Arbeiten zur Zeit nahezu unbrauchbar. Das Programm an sich (Start, Import, Export, etc.) ist in Ordnung. Das verschieben von Elementen auf der Montagefläche ist eine Katastrophe. Die Voreinstellungen und Ansichtseinstellungen sind identisch mit CS6. Ich habe festgestellt, dass es etwas besser wird, wenn man die Informationen-Palette schließt. Richtig gut wird es erst, wenn man über die Tab-Taste alle Paletten inkl. der Leiste oben und der Werkzeuge-Palette ausblendet. Dann läuft es so wie es sein sollte. Auch das englische Forum füllt sich zu dem Thema. (http://forums.adobe.com/message/5425555) Es scheint ein Bug in den Bedienelementen zu sein. Ich hoffe auf schnelle Problemlösung von Adobe. So kann ich mit InDesign CC nicht arbeiten.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Hi Jon, Thanks for the update. I noticed that there were 5 updates first thing this morning. I was excited to see that one was Indesign CC! With great enthusiasm I installed all updates. No changes to perfomance or the annoying 'double click' on text with my system zzzzz Ah well maybe next time. Funny thing, when I clicked the tab to find out what 'bug's had been fixed in Indeign CC, it listed them as Adobe Media Encoder! Surely that's a typo? Come on Adobe. Sort me out, I'm still using CS6 on both my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro machines! Could really use that 'Font Favourites' feature on this new catalogue, but its just WAY to slow. Still like using a screen share on a 100mb/s network :-( All the best from Sunny England.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to Define The Light

The only update I've seen is for Media Encoder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 1:57 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

No, there is no performance boost with the latest update for the German version of Indesign CC on the Mac in my case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to Rene Andritsch

Hi Rene, on my iMac 27 i7 there is a noticeable performance boost to Indesign CC when I hide all! panels (including the toolbox / pattsteiner already mentioned this in post 22 in german). I´m using the german version here, too but I don´t think it´s a problem with the actual language version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to werbewusel

Hi werbewusel,

I know. The best performance is achieved with all panels hidden (closed), but that obviously is not a solution I want to work with. Even if you hide all panels the performance is still weaker than in CS6. Thanks for the information. I am curious how and when this matter will be resolved. As long as there is no fix for this I stick to CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Jon Snidal wrote:

UPDATE: problem (lag with transparent object on page) disappears when you turn transparency off in display performance preference. 

Great advice! On my Mac, moving through text with the arrow keys (or selecting with Shift-arrows) was very slow. Turning transparency off fixed that problem, but it's only a temporary workaround. I do need to see the transparency in my layouts.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to Jon Snidal

I got the same problem with InDesign CC under Windows 8 64bit. I am using it since two months now and it is really slower than InDesign CS6. I tried all tipps if found with google but nothing works. Now since three days i am working on a big advertisement with around 1.000 - 2.000 objects on 8 pages and the performance is terrible. The problem is that going back is impossible because i have allready saved so many documents in CC.

Now to the performance in my big advertisement it takes around 3-5 seconds if i select a object or change some text. I gave the indesign process the highest priority and now it is a little bit faster but not much more.

I also tried to separate every page as single document but that also doesn't work. Also if i hide everything (graphics and vector graphics) it only gets a little bit faster. There is a heavy lag with so many objects in the InDesign document but if i look at the CPU usage it only uses 7% from the CPU. So i don't know where the problem comes from. I am using a Intel Core i7 with Corsair Force GT SSD Hard Drives.

Does anyone have an idea?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 3:45 AM   in reply to stefan.schwann

Hey there,

I previously posted in this thread.:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5420698#5420698

I thought it might be good to place my experience here too in order to let Adobe know that this issue is URGENT and has to be solved. There are even more several threads in the Forum that complain about the InDesign CC performance.

I updated my  system (Macbook Pro Mid 2009, Intel Core Duo 3,06 GHz) with an SSD, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion 10.8.4 (clean install) to get ready for Adobe CC.

Now started working with CC (German) and noticed the same performance-issues with InDesign (9.1) Jon Snidal stated above. The only thing that helps a bit is to hide all panels with Tab. This increases the speed significantly. Unfortunately is this not a permanent solution for me.

I tried to close each panel apart but that doesn't affect the performance. I have to admit that I have opened almost every panel InDesign offers on my 2nd display... which was never a problem with InDesign CS4 (the version I used before). Furthermore I deleted my preferences without any performance-improvements.

Hopefully there'll be another patch soon. Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Hi Jon, just wondering if there have been any improvements on your system with Indesign CC's performance as yet? I upgraded my 12 core Mac Pro to Mountain Lion (Clean install from a USB stick) and that made no difference. I even installed Indesign CC before anything else to see if there was an app conflicting with it at all. I then purchased the new 27" iMac 3.5Ghz with 32gb ram and the new 4gb Nvidia GPU. Still shockingly slow performance with Indesign. CS6 (thankfully still available for download - is flying!) I just find it hard to believe that an application that was SO very good, and fluid, is now unusable with even the latest and greatest Apple hardware - and as it appears Windows systems too. What is Adobe doing? Kind regards, Scott.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to Define The Light

Performance issues with CC are hit or miss. Adobe is aware of it but

it's not all that easy to nail down when there's no common ground for

the problem.

I've yet to see any issues on Windows or Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I hear what you are saying Bob (and thank you for your prompt reply). I have eliminated all that I can in terms of system requirements (I have a number of high spec machines - all Mac with clean OS installs) I also have a 17"  MBP running Snow leopard, that too exhibits the same slow and juddery performance. Even single page documents are running as though they are on a remote desktop with a slow ethernet connection. As I say, thankfully I still have CS6 to work day to day. Every time I see an update, I get a glimmer of hope that CC will be fixed for me. Thing is, I love that font favourites feature, and the customisable interface - but cannot cope with the low performance day to day. Wonder if there is a way to communicate the system details, and setup etc to Adobe to assist in the improvement of this application. Photoshop / Premiere / After effects / Illustrator etc are all great. Just sad that 90% of my working day is InDesign based. Kind regards Scott.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to Define The Light

Hello Scott,

are you using the page preview window? If yes try to disable the page preview rendering completely (only to close the window didn't help). This nearly fixed the performance issues on my Windows PC. I think there is a bug because it looks like that the preview windows renders the complete document and if you have complex documents with many objects than the performance goes down that indesign is unuseable. Best regards Stefan

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to Define The Light

Hi Scott, sorry I didn't see this until just now ... and, sad to say, that while still monitoring these threads, I have completely reverted to CS6, because, like you said, it flies!  I have tested CC on four machines, none of which perform well enough for day to day work:

1.  MacBook Pro, quad-core i7, Mountain Lion then Mavericks

2.  Mac Pro, 2 x dual-core Xeon, Snow Leopard (oaky, it's a little old!)

3.  PC, quad-core i7, Windows 8.1

4.  Mac Mini, core 2 duo, Mountain Lion then Mavericks

Of these, the windows machine is almost useable; the MacBook Pro, which should be good performance-wise, displays other strange bugs like being unable to zoom in and out properly; the older machines, which run everything else just fine, can't even handle text selection (the fast machines aren't totally fine in this respect).  So, as you mention, hardware doesn't seem to fix anything!  I can't believe how long this problem has dragged out, and the last update on any of these platforms was ages ago.  It sure has made me appreciate CS6, tho!  Maybe there will be a killer update any day now.  Font favourites ruled, for a minute there.  Cheers -- Jon.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to Jon Snidal

funny thing is that we have almost november and i'm still losing a lot of time because of this lagg on CC.

ADOBE pls do something.

dell precision

2X intel xeon quad core

24GB ECC ram

750GB SSD

ati radeon HD 7800

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to stefan.schwann

Hello Stefan. Thanks for your suggestion. The performance appears to be the same regardless of the settings I use. I was keen to do a fresh install of the OS the other day just to test the theory that another app (even the old CS6 suite) was causing a conflict. I can confirm that having wiped clean my HD, and reinstalled - then updated Apple OSX Mountain Lion, and installed CC only, the performance is the same. Poor :-( Lets hope that Adobe sort us all out soon. Given that we all have high spec kit, and different platforms and OS's - surely we cannot be alone. I'm sure we are not just being fussy... I keep reminding myself and having another try at Indesign CC, but after a moment or two I'm pulling the last few hairs out of my head! All the best. Scott.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 3:50 AM   in reply to Jon Snidal

Hello everyone around.

Same Problem here. I still have a bad performance.

Even on the latetest Hardware. Tried it on all Macbook Pros I could get. (i5/i7). Even an 2012 MacPro. All tips/workaround faild. Adobe. come on!

My specs.

MacBook Pro Late 2013 Retina

2,6 GHz Intel Core i7

1GB Ram

1TB SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

OS X 10.9

That should be more than enough Power...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points