Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where have .psb file previews gone in PS CC?

Jun 19, 2013 8:24 AM

Tags: #previews_not_displayed

I posted this question on the CC forum and was promptly directed to here...

I've just worked on a large 16 bit image file in PS CC and saved it as a 4Gb .psb file and now I no longer see a preview in the OS or Bridge, just a PS icon. This is a major issue for me as I work with large files all the time and therefore have to save layered psb files on a daily basis. The lack of previews now with PS CC is more than an inconvenience.

With CS6 I have psb previews ok.

Any ideas? I tested two systems running Snow Leopard and latest Mountain Lion to no avail. I also already tried removing all caches, ran utilities to clean and repair permissions etc.

Is this a bug in PS CC?

Any helpful suggestions would be most welcome but I will reluctantly be going back to CS6 until this is solved.

Cheers

Morgan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to MSilk

Just to make sure: What are your File Handling Preferences? (I’m still on CS6, but that seems like a possible factor.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to MSilk

In Bridge in edit/preferences/file type associations what is default program for photoshop document .psb?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to MSilk

If you change that to CS6 will it work?  Not that that is solution, just a check to see if CC is the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to MSilk

Odd, I clicked on "report a problem" and typed in gibberish.  It allowed me to do that without asking for any id.  Did not submit however.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to MSilk

The login is tied to photoshop.com, that is no longer in use. See http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/how_do_i_registe r_a_new_account_for_this_photoshop_com_forum for a login solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to MSilk

Photoshop CC is no longer saving resource fork thumbnails - because recent versions of MacOS have increasing problems reading them.

MacOS knows how to get some previews out of PSD files, but appears to not be able to extract thumbnails from PSB files (which is odd, since both contain the same internal previews).  Apple has the file format documentation, but doesn't seem to have read it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points